Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drivetime with Mary Wilson

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I have to agree. John Murray has definitely impressed me over the last week. Seems far more comfortable and on the ball compared to when he's on the sports shows at the weekend. Good flow to his interviews and seems able to go "off-script" when needed.

However, It's not hard to be an improvement on Mary Wilson.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Heheh before we deify poor John, let's not lose the run of ourselves.

I'll check back if he does a hard hitting interview with a senior politician.

A genuine hard hitting interview now !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I prefer listening to Mary than John. Like most (all) RTÉ presenters, she's been off a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Heheh before we deify poor John, let's not lose the run of ourselves.

A genuine hard hitting interview now !!
    That's a fair test.

Quite a few RTÉ news/current affairs staff might fail it. Some seem to equate a badgering style with getting stuck in on the issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

That would be the real test indeed Brendan. Although I've taken a liking to the bould John this past week, he hasn't been visited on by too many of the "big boys".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

If it means a) getting Mary Wilson off the air and b) getting John Murray out of the sports department, then YES give John the job. And he is actually very good at this job. It's something that he very obviously has an interest in, as opposed to sport which you can tell (in spite of his best efforts to sound enthusiastic) that he has no interest in.

He can even pronounce Olivia O'Leary's name right.

Though it appears there is nothing that he can do about her subjective, pious monologues. Nothing to say on Hilary's lies, about how she supported the women who took cases against Bill, how she kept the mail server in her bath (putting her secrecy ahead of the safety of the lives of Americans).... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

heybaby wrote: »
    Pretty sure there's already a thread
    No there isn't. (Two words - Search Tools)

I have mixed feelings about this show. They finally have a decent presenter in John Murray but they still very much follow the party line when choosing guest speakers and such. Classic example today. To follow a speech by Jeremy Corbyn they get some toff from a RW UK rag to do the usual MSM hatchet job on the Labour leader. If you want your news with the usual massive dose of RW propaganda then this is probably the pick of the bunch. Only because it has the best presenter.

Interesting to hear Mary Wilson recently saying on-air that she is a PAYE worker.

I would have assumed she was was a very highly paid contractor, since she has the leading Drivetime show in the country (236,000 last JNLR), at a notoriously competitive time of day (car radios are far less tolerant than kitchen radios).

On a somewhat related topic, it was interesting to hear Cormac O hEadhra from Late Debate, and sometimes presenter of Drivetime, saying on air that he earns less than a TD's basic salary (87,000 Euro).

No accounting for talent in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

I enjoyed Joseph O' Connor's piece today re Bob Dylan and tried to find the link to send to someone but the Drivetime highlights didn't show it and the listen back option wasn't up yet on my mobile. I was going to listen back and send the person the time of broadcast. Does anyone know if his pieces are copyright protected or is it possible to podcast them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's good to hear Barry Lenihan having a bit of fun with the English language. Either that or the Quango hammer must have addled his brain. Two new words, Rawshus and Debockery.

Listen at 2 mins 40 and 5 mins 40.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=b9%5F21105601%5F83%5F16%2D12%2D2016%5F

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Interesting to hear Mary Wilson recently saying on-air that she is a PAYE worker.

I would have assumed she was was a very highly paid contractor.....

Only if there was a risk that another broadcaster might offer her a slot which I would have thought was highly unlikely. She is a hopelessly useless presenter, she interrupts people as a matter of 'style'. Her MO is similar to that of Brian Farrell on TV current affairs years ago.

When you hear Mary Wilson even interrupting fellow RTE reporters, you realise that she has no intellectual input to any of the debate, she clearly thinks that cutting across people constitutes 'debate' as far as her puny brain is concerned.

"You You You've been in the job for nine months now, and you had a rocky start. .. Do you think you're getting the hang of it".

Yes Mary, unlike yourself who has been in the job for years and are still as dreadful as you were the first day on the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I have to get this off my chest. I absolutely despise her pronunciation of Olivia O'Leary...O'Lairy. It drives me nuts when i hear it. I have never heard it pronounced like that by anyone else in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

citykat wrote: »
    I have to get this off my chest. I absolutely despise her pronunciation of Olivia O'Leary...O'Lairy. It drives me nuts when i hear it. I have never heard it pronounced like that by anyone else in this country.
    Utter pointless pretentiouness, as for O'Lairrry , I'm sure she's probably prerecorded months worth of anti-Trump outraged rants Already and has put her feet up, the two are insufferable.

citykat wrote: »
    I have to get this off my chest. I absolutely despise her pronunciation of Olivia O'Leary...O'Lairy.

It's worth having John Murray for that alone. Drives me up the wall as well.

It's worth having John Murray for that alone. Drives me up the wall as well.

:eek:

Sssssssssteady.......Peter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

She's good, most of the time. Her pronunciation of 'O'Leary' does annoy me.
    'Olivia O'Layery'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Expunge

'Olivia O'Layery'

That's how Olivia O'Leary herself pronounces her own name. I have heard her several times saying it that way.

Must be how dey say it in County Carla!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 JackPerry

On Thursday's Drivetime the reporter Sandra Hurley made the ridiculous claim that the Child Abuse Inquiry cost six thousand times the original estimate of 250 million.
    She clearly stated this which would mean the cost was 15 thousand billion.
    No attempt by RTE to correct this, any old thing goes on RTE these days.

• Advertisement

Fair play to John Murray-grilling useless guy (Willie O'Reilly) defending salaries. I thought O'Reilly was disgraceful

honeybear wrote: »
    Fair play to John Murray-grilling useless guy (Willie O'Reilly) defending salaries. I thought O'Reilly was disgraceful

Yes, don't like Murray but he gave that smug guy a good grilling.

O'Reilly epitomises the smugness and sense of entitlement in Montrose.

His main defense was that the current salaries were well below those in 2008 when these cretins were on mega bucks.

Off the wall salaries.

Thought he got a bit of a cut at Murray when he mentioned that things are different when you get to " host a show'

Thought that was a bit of a low blow from a smug well paid front of house man wheeled out to try and convince John Q Taxpayer that there was 'austerity' in the higher echelons of RTE.

Murray should have asked him where would these 'stars' go if their salaries were slashed by at least 20%.

I'm boiling here!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Radio5

O'Reilly is ex Today FM so it was nice to hear him stick up for his old colleague Ray (we're not paying him 500,000, aren't we the best!!) D'Arcy.

He came across really badly and then tried to conflate the issue with gender, when that wasn't relevant to what the particular question he was being asked. A sense of Entitlement doesn't even cover the attitude on show.

Radio5 wrote: »
    O'Reilly is ex Today FM so it was nice to hear him stick up for his old colleague Ray (we're not paying him 500,000, aren't we the best!!) D'Arcy.

He came across really badly and then tried to conflate the issue with gender, when that wasn't relevant to what the particular question he was being asked. A sense of Entitlement doesn't even cover the attitude on show.

Came across as a smug kernt trying to defend the indefensible.

Epitomised all that is wrong out in Montrose, regarding the so called 'stars'.

This has nothing to do with gender, it's to do with outdated salary scales and gouging of immense proportions from a coterie who would have nowhere to go if their salaries were cut by 20%.

Nicky Byrne -200k....... gimme a break here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Radio_Fan_738

Does Mary Wilson still do this show ? Haven't heard her on it in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Radio5

Does Mary Wilson still do this show ? Haven't heard her on it in ages

It is holiday time so I guess she is away. John Murray has been covering for some time.

Radio5 wrote: »
    It is holiday time so I guess she is away. John Murray has been covering for some time.

Correct John Murrie:cool::D

Listening to Wilson recently and ,while I may be mistaken here, I seem to detect an extremely ‘feminist ‘ leaning,a kind of anti man attitude from her.

Appears to be an excerpt on how women were ‘badly treated’ in a lot of recent content, with Wilson getting a lot more ‘stuck in’ on those than other issues.

Bit like Mooney was on the gay issue before he moved on.

I could be wrong now………………?

Mary Lou getting her arse handed to her on Drivetime.

Struggling big time.

Finding out that leading a party is different that waffling out views.

Wilson going for the jugular.

They auld name checking strategy doesn’t work here.

• Advertisement

Mary Lou getting her arse handed to her on Drivetime.

Struggling big time.

Finding out that leading a party is different that waffling out views.

Wilson going for the jugular.

They auld name checking strategy doesn’t work here.

Agree. Very poor from ML

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement