Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-08-2015, 10:51   #31
SteveBabyface

Before anyone dives in and starts selling you all the bits and pieces they don't want/need any more. You mention that you are new to archery, have you done a beginners course?

The reason I ask is that after a beginners course you will have some idea as to what you need. Saying that you want a 25" riser is one thing but generally it is the length of the limbs that determine the length of the bow. 66", 68" and 70" are the common sizes, but the length of bow will depend on your height and draw length. As for the weight, 30# is slightly heavy to start out with, unless you have already done a course and worked your way up to that weight. I gave up shooting a recurve bow and switched over to a compound bow after two years. I had only just switched to 32# limbs, having worked my way up from 26#. The correct arrows will also be determined by the bow draw weight and your draw length.

If you haven't done a beginners course it will give you six weeks use of a bow and arrows during which you will discover if archery is the sport for your two boys. There is nothing worse than shelling out hard earned cash for bows, arrows, quivers, tabs, arm guards etc and then only to find out that they are not too bothered and would prefer to be out playing football instead.

If you are just messing about in the garden/field, buy what ever you want and enjoy*. If you are serious and plan to stick with the sport, join a club and shoot competitively, then do a beginners course to learn the correct form/technique and get some advice on what equipment would suit you and help you to become an excellent archer.

*Please make sure that you take every precaution to make sure that you, your boys and anybody else are safe. A bow and arrow are dangerous and can cause serious injury. Never allow anyone to stand in front of somebody shooting a bow and make sure that the target area is situated in a place that will prevent arrows from flying off into the sunset should you miss the target. Trust me, it will happen.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-08-2015, 19:39   #32
Grootbaas

Newbie X 3

Thank you Stevebabyface for the kind advice. We all are 5 weeks into our beginners course, so needless to say we know hardly anything about this sport apart from the fact that we all love it. I was told that I need a 70" bow (25" riser with long limbs) 28lb draw and 30 inch arrows.
Once again thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.
Thanks from:
11-08-2015, 19:50   #33

I have an 11yrvold (12 end of Sept) who is obsessed with archery and has been for about 3 yrs so I know it's not a fad. I would like to enrol him in beginner archery classes.
Can anyone advise where I might bring him, I live in Blessington, so Naas or Tallaght direction would be ideal. Thanks.
11-08-2015, 23:19   #34
SteveBabyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missymoohaa View Post
I have an 11yrvold (12 end of Sept) who is obsessed with archery and has been for about 3 yrs so I know it's not a fad. I would like to enrol him in beginner archery classes.
Can anyone advise where I might bring him, I live in Blessington, so Naas or Tallaght direction would be ideal. Thanks.
Check the Archery Ireland website for the club closest to you - http://archery.ie/clubs/?province=leinster.

In Dublin, Greenhills Archers are in Tallaght, but there might be one closer to you but further out into the counties surrounding Dublin.
Thanks from:
11-08-2015, 23:30   #35
SteveBabyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grootbaas View Post
Thank you Stevebabyface for the kind advice. We all are 5 weeks into our beginners course, so needless to say we know hardly anything about this sport apart from the fact that we all love it. I was told that I need a 70" bow (25" riser with long limbs) 28lb draw and 30 inch arrows.
Once again thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.
At least you have been given some sound advice and know what you need. Keep an eye on Boards.ie, Adverts.ie, Facebook groups such as https://www.facebook.com/groups/aibas/
and
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1401714690057573/.

Then again give Keith Hanlon in Archery Shop Ireland (087 240 6697) and he can set you up reasonably cheaply with new gear that he will help you set up and maintain. There is a lot to be said for having somebody who knows what they are doing set up a bow for you.

Best of luck with your archery career and look forward to meeting you on the line at some stage.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-08-2015, 08:27   #36
Grootbaas

Newbie X 3

Thanks for the sound advice!
12-08-2015, 10:49   #37
SteveBabyface

You are very welcome.

If ever you need advice start a new thread in the archery section. There are several experienced archers who regularly contribute and can give you sound advice.
26-08-2015, 20:30   #38
davycc

hi long time lurker here!
picked up a new 55lb compound bow today and looking for some 30inch arrows in fiberglass or aliminum .
anything considered seeing as its my first bow and ill probably loose some out in the field lol/

based in meath ashbourne
26-08-2015, 23:58   #39
SteveBabyface

I have a set of 10 - 29" Easton ACC 3-49 (390 spine) for €70.00 + P&P admittedly they may be a little more good/expensive than what you are looking for but they are the right spine (strength) for your bow. If you were interested I could give them to one of the lads in ashbourne Archers and they could also help you on your way to a bright archery future.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-08-2015, 00:38   #40
greysides

davycc, if you haven't already ... get some coaching....and join a club. There's a good one in Ashbourne.
(2) thanks from:
27-08-2015, 02:01   #41

joining ahbourne archers

Hi I was wondering if I could join your club tomorrow night(sorry if Ashbourne is not yours).
Have been a member of Dublin archers and sportslink archery in the past ,just bought a sf recurve and kit and would like to get back out there again.
thanks

Last edited by nixdorfjnr; 27-08-2015 at 02:05.
Thanks from:
27-08-2015, 09:31   #42
Midnight64

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixdorfjnr View Post
Hi I was wondering if I could join your club tomorrow night(sorry if Ashbourne is not yours).
Have been a member of Dublin archers and sportslink archery in the past ,just bought a sf recurve and kit and would like to get back out there again.
thanks
Contact me through the Ashbourne Archers FB page and we can have a chat. Please note our new venue, day and time. (Ashbourne GAA; Tuesday; 20:30 to 22:30)
27-08-2015, 09:32   #43
Midnight64

Quote:
Originally Posted by davycc View Post
hi long time lurker here!
picked up a new 55lb compound bow today and looking for some 30inch arrows in fiberglass or aliminum .
anything considered seeing as its my first bow and ill probably loose some out in the field lol/

based in meath ashbourne
Contact me through our facebook page and we can have a chat.
(2) thanks from:
28-08-2015, 02:05   #44
davycc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBabyface View Post
I have a set of 10 - 29" Easton ACC 3-49 (390 spine) for €70.00 + P&P admittedly they may be a little more good/expensive than what you are looking for but they are the right spine (strength) for your bow. If you were interested I could give them to one of the lads in ashbourne Archers and they could also help you on your way to a bright archery future.
thanks for the offer steve but they are well out of my league
Thanks from:
28-08-2015, 02:08   #45
davycc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight64 View Post
Contact me through our facebook page and we can have a chat.
thanks for getting back to me been following yous on facebook since the club was announced.. ill be in touch some day in the future
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion