Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Anime & Manga? Just looking for some recommendations? Search no further!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭bluugirl

I'm only just begining to get into anime, well I watched a TON of pokemon,yu gi oh and digimon as a kid if that counts lol I first watched death note and I liked it but then I watched cowboy bebop...it blew me away from the begining I loved spike
    so at the end I was very sad :(
    so yeah I'd like something very similar to cowboy bebop, recommendations anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

bluugirl wrote: »
    I'm only just begining to get into anime, well I watched a TON of pokemon,yu gi oh and digimon as a kid if that counts lol I first watched death note and I liked it but then I watched cowboy bebop...it blew me away from the begining I loved spike
    so at the end I was very sad :(
    so yeah I'd like something very similar to cowboy bebop, recommendations anyone?

Samurai Champloo is pretty similar to Cowboy Bebop, didn't think it was quite as good myself since I mainly prefer sci-fi but it's worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Hello! Just recently discovered High School of the Dead and absolutely loved it. Watched the whole first series in one go. I wanted to know are there any other HOT series though. I cant seem to find anything beyond series one

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

Hi! I am new to Anime, I have only watched a couple like the Ghost in the Shell movies and will probably now look at Akira and Deathnote from all the recommendations here. Just wondering should I look at the subbed versions or dubbed versions or does it really matter?

Anyone have any other suggestions like Sci Fi or action ones? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

Hi! I am new to Anime, I have only watched a couple like the Ghost in the Shell movies and will probably now look at Akira and Deathnote from all the recommendations here. Just wondering should I look at the subbed versions or dubbed versions or does it really matter?

Both of those have good dubs so it's up to yourself, but honestly you can't go wrong with a sub if you don't mind them. I'd recommend Steins;Gate and Black Lagoon for both of those genres, though with anime mecha and space operas are usually considered their own genre since there's so many. For those try Code Geuss and Planetes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Orphen is good and baccano,although I didn't expect baccano to be so violent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Hey, I was wondering if someone could help me find an anime (at least I'm pretty sure it was an anime) that I used to watch years ago on what I believe was cartoon network but it may have been another channel, boomerang maybe? As you can already tell my memory of it isn't so great.

Anyway, what little I can remember of it is this, there was a guy in it who vaguely resembled link from Zelda and he always used to play the flute. The rest of the characters were weird anthropomorphic elephant or hippo looking creatures and it was set in an idyllic landscape, green fields, rivers, forests, you get the idea. Also it ran around the time or perhaps before the anime Tenchi Muyo first started.

This just popped into my head the other day and it's just one of those things that'll bother you until you remember what it was. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ancuncha

Konata wrote: »
    Threads for Anime/Manga recommendations for newbies and fans alike are always popping up on this forum, so I thought I'd make one handy thread that contains all this information.

First off, for the newbies:

What is Anime?

Anime is, quite simply, animation that originates in Japan. Anime is generally considered to be a medium that is made up of many genres. Anime is very easily distinguished from other types of animation due to it's visual characteristics.
    The most common misconception of anime is that it is "just for kids". This is simply not true. Yes, there are plenty of series aimed solely at kids but the great thing about anime is there is something for everyone. Many series contain much darker, adult themes.

What is the difference between a "dub" and a "sub"?

Anime series are either dubbed or subbed for English speaking viewers. Dubbed means that the original Japanese dialogue has been replaced with English dialogue by English speaking voice actors. Subbed refers to anime that retains it's original Japanese dialogue and is subtitled in English.

What is Manga?

Manga are the Japanese version of comics. Like anime, there are many genres of manga and all age groups and interests are catered for. Manga are often adopted into anime series and less often, anime is adopted into a manga series.

Recommendations

A common question that arises in this forum is: "I'm new to anime, what would you recommend me to watch as an introduction to the medium?"

Well this all depends on what you're into of course. However, there are some series/films that many people recommend to newbies. Have a look at the articles I've linked to (they contain a synopsis and reviews of the series) and pick one your interested in.

Series:
    - Dragonball Z/ Dragonball Kai
    - Bleach
    - Naruto
    - Death Note
    - Neon Genesis Evangelion
    - Cowboy Bebop

Films:
    - Any of the Studio Ghibli films
    - Akira
    - The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
    - Rebuild of Evangelion films

So you've found an anime you love and are interested in watching something similiar or in the same genre. Well, make sure you check out this site as it lists anime by genre and is very useful (NOTE: After clicking on the genre you are interested in make sure you click on the ANIME tab to see the list - there is also a manga tab).
    Another incredibly useful site is MyAnimeList. Here you can keep track of anime that you have watched/ are watching, read reviews, check out personalized recommendations and view high scoring animes.

Finally, here's a quick run down of anime/manga that are commonly recommended by users of this forum:

- Clannad
    - Ghost in the Shell: SAC
    - Elfen Lied
    - Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
    - Gundam
    - Tenchi Muyo
    - Ouran High School Host Club
    - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    - Baccano
    - Sailor Moon
    - Code Geass
    - FLCL
    - Haruhi Suziyama

Remember, there are many, many different anime series and films out there so if you don't like one - try another! :)

Also, if anyone would like to add to this or has any other information to share please feel free to do so!

Another excellent resource site is the Anime & Manga Portal on Wikipedia. Very concise!

i'd like to add xxxholic and clamore to this list, i enjoyed the thoroughly

• Registered Users Posts: 14 david_dsouza

Wow.. is it easy to develop one for me or can I learn creation of this type of Anime??

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sweded

Try "Another", is one awesome anime with 16 episodes overall. For me, Subbed or dubbed version doesn't really matter but if you have issue about reading the sub while watching then you probably need to find a dubbed version of the anime, but I won't suggest it as new anime's can't have a dubbed version yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Jaafa wrote: »
    Hey, I was wondering if someone could help me find an anime (at least I'm pretty sure it was an anime) that I used to watch years ago on what I believe was cartoon network but it may have been another channel, boomerang maybe? As you can already tell my memory of it isn't so great.

Anyway, what little I can remember of it is this, there was a guy in it who vaguely resembled link from Zelda and he always used to play the flute. The rest of the characters were weird anthropomorphic elephant or hippo looking creatures and it was set in an idyllic landscape, green fields, rivers, forests, you get the idea. Also it ran around the time or perhaps before the anime Tenchi Muyo first started.

This just popped into my head the other day and it's just one of those things that'll bother you until you remember what it was. :P

Sounds like the Moomins. There was an anime in the mid 90's I think based off the Tove Jansson books. It also contains one of the creepiest characters I've ever seen, the Groke.

moomin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

fitz0 wrote: »
    Sounds like the Moomins. There was an anime in the mid 90's I think based off the Tove Jansson books. It also contains one of the creepiest characters I've ever seen, the Groke.

moomin.jpg

Yep that was it, I found it myself after, but thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

Thanks to all for recommending Elfen Lied. Couldn't stop watching it.
    I've now moved onto Cowboy Bebop and maybe Initial D after that.

Also, can anyong list the sequence for watching the Evangelion series?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

GarH wrote: »
    Also, can anyone list the sequence for watching the Evangelion series?

Thanks

Neon Genesis Evangelion episodes 1-24, then NGE episodes 25 & 26 or End of Evangelion. Watch both, but the order doesn't matter. Once you're done, watch Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0 and 2.0, and join the queue for 3.0.

Neon Genesis Evangelion episodes 1-24, then NGE episodes 25 & 26 or End of Evangelion. Watch both, but the order doesn't matter. Once you're done, watch Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0 and 2.0, and join the queue for 3.0.

Actually, since 25 and 26 are not considered part of the canon, they should be watched AFTER End of Evangelion. The order does kind of matter for a first-time viewer.

I actually liked episodes 25 & 26 of NGE...
    because Asuka wasn't horrifically mutilated. :(

I actually liked episodes 25 & 26 of NGE...
    because Asuka wasn't horrifically mutilated. :(

I've never watched End of Eva because I actually like 25 & 26. I think them a fitting end to the series. I understand why many dislike them and they're not the most suited to broadcast. I wonder what way 3.0 will finish up.

That's a ridiculous reason not to watch End of Eva honestly. It's like not watching Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood because you liked the original series and you're afraid it'll be better.

LOGIC!

It's not the whole reason. I phrased my last post poorly, I like the original Eva and was satisfied enough with it that the revised ending didn't grab my attention like it did some. I've just never gotten around to it really. I have it on DVD but I've just never felt the urge to go watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

Hello everyone!

I am very very new to anime. A friend of mine recommended Fullmetal Alchemist to me, saying that I would love it. I watched the first 3 episodes and to my friends perfect taste, I loved it. But my main question is: what is the best source to watch anime, specifically FMA? Or where can I acquire FMA episodes?

Thanks a mill!

• Advertisement

Hello everyone!

I am very very new to anime. A friend of mine recommended Fullmetal Alchemist to me, saying that I would love it. I watched the first 3 episodes and to my friends perfect taste, I loved it. But my main question is: what is the best source to watch anime, specifically FMA? Or where can I acquire FMA episodes?

Thanks a mill!

Netflix or Crunchyroll will suffice.

It's not as if we'll recommend the High Seas anyway. baka

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭xtinataguba

im getting curious about manga. thank you for information. it help me a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

I'm looking for anime series or films that involve cute looking animal/creatures basically to watch with my girlfriend excluding pokemon/digimon (she doesnt want to watch those ones) or studio ghibli (we've seen them all) any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

kevovek wrote: »
    I'm looking for anime series or films that involve cute looking animal/creatures basically to watch with my girlfriend excluding pokemon/digimon (she doesnt want to watch those ones) or studio ghibli (we've seen them all) any help would be greatly appreciated!

Shirokuma Cafe :)

Cafe-GIFs-shirokuma-cafe-30483794-500-250.gif

tumblr_m2qhmnrgOp1qzqnxxo1_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Thanks! Looks good! I'll try find it now

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Shirokuma Cafe :)

Cafe-GIFs-shirokuma-cafe-30483794-500-250.gif

tumblr_m2qhmnrgOp1qzqnxxo1_500.gif
    Go home panda, you're drunk. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Actually he only drinks iced coffee :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Based on what I've tried:

Death Note (excellent)
    Code Geas (very good)
    Cowboy Bebop (stylish but couldn't get into it)
    Neon Genesis: Evangelion (classic but he's one moany git. Plus the ending..)
    Noein (2/3 through it - very weird but some interesting stuff)

would you then recommend:
    Claymore, Full Metal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell:SAC or others? I've read the synopses but doesn't tell you if they're really worth my time.

I want a show with a proper end, not an open ended piece like Naruto or Bleach. Not looking for something too light either and would prefer it to have supernatural/fantasy/sci-fi elements.

^ I wouldn't jump into NGE right off the bat. It was the second anime that watched, and I still have daydreams about it, about 16 months on. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 wildma

That's a great guide...

Advertisement