Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Negative vaping publicity

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I suppose it cuts out the long angonsing death from lung cancer, the scourge of passive smoking with less pressure on the health system.

All good really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭corkie

DashVapes: - First reported "Vape-related illness" in Canada... !!??

A response to above story from DashVapes.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭rob316

American : You have a gun to massacre your school or workplace but not bubblegum e-liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

https://www.facebook.com/groups/450591418445468/

For anyone on Facebook, here's a group that you might be interested in joining.

Apologies mods if this isn't allowed.

gov-cuomo-NY-flavour-ban-meme.jpg?lossy=1&strip=1&webp=1

Someone made a meme of it?

simpsons-think-of-the-children.jpg

Vaping Ban is about Big Tobacco and Pharmaceuticals follow the ......

$$$$$

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement

DashVapes: Banning vapes will only make things worse.

[cbsnews] E-cigarette panic is ruining "biggest public health opportunity" in 120 years, scientist says
    But other American scientists, like West Virginia University School of Medicine associate professor Mark Olfert, are drawing very different conclusions. ....

"It's something in the base solution," he said. "The base solution is made up of propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin. These are oils. Petroleum."

In response to the argument that e-cigarettes are just oil and water vapor, Olfert said "that's actually the biggest lie about e-cigarettes, is that it's water vapor. That's an oil and petroleum solution."

They are not Oils, they may have been manufacture/extract from Oils, but that doesn't make them oils.

PG and VG are not oils, and can’t cause any of the medical issues — like lipoid pneumonia — that inhaling actual oils can.

[Time] How Juul Hooked Kids and Ignited a Public Health Crisis
    ^^^ Allot of tubers are also blaming JUUL allot.

Edit: Forgot to include this on my posts on this thread. Re: Reply below!
    I'm Not affiliated with any store or reviewer sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

They could just tax vaping like they tax cigarettes there is no conspiracy.
    Asbestos, silica dust, tobacco/nicotine, and now vape.
    Your lungs are very delicate and certIn sized toxic particles can get in to certain parts of the lungs and never come back out some day causing health issues.
    A chap was telling me they have dudes on YouTube now doing vape competitions blowing smoke rings and stuff to advertise this stupid addiction to children and resurrect the circle of nicotine addiction to another generation.
    Read Alan Carr’s easy way to stop smoking and you won’t think you need any of this stuff.

I have a strong feeling a lot of the people who post in here are selling the accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

My question on this is........why now? Millions vaping for years and then all of a sudden a couple of months ago we have deaths and serious illnesses reported around the exact same time in The states, just defies logic that of all the millions that vaped over the years we wouldn’t have had a string of deaths but suddenly out of the blue a tiny number get sick at the same time and now vaping can kill. What’s really going on here?

Calltocall wrote: »
    My question on this is........why now? Millions vaping for years and then all of a sudden a couple of months ago we have deaths and serious illnesses reported around the exact same time in The states, just defies logic that of all the millions that vaped over the years we wouldn’t have had a string of deaths over the years but suddenly out of the blue a tiny number get sick at the same time and now vaping can kill. What’s really going on here?

Seriously?
    It takes a few years to manifest?
    Next year will have more,

BDI wrote: »
    Seriously?

So of all the millions that have vaped over the years suddenly a tiny number with symptoms manifest at pretty much exactly the same time and become headline news, defies logic, there should be a pattern of illnesses over many years, this is just out of the blue and dubious to say the least. Btw I don’t sell vape products.

• Advertisement

So of all the millions that have vaped over the years suddenly a tiny number with symptoms manifest at pretty much exactly the same time and become headline news, defies logic, there should be a pattern of illnesses over many years, this is just out of the blue and dubious to say the least. Btw I don’t sell vape products.

Just like all illnesses start. It’s not like in films where one person gets sick and the world health organization turn up in hazmat suits to isolate them. First fella was probably coughing for months. His doctor telling him he’s grand, sure vaping is harmless you just have a lung infection.

It sounds more like a bad batch of something, I’ve read that cannabis liquid has been identified in a number of the cases, but looking at it objectively these cases are being reported in the states/canada yet in the uk no reports of serious illness etc (a country with millions of vapers). It’s just not adding up to me.

My question on this is........why now? Millions vaping for years and then all of a sudden a couple of months ago we have deaths and serious illnesses reported around the exact same time in The states, just defies logic that of all the millions that vaped over the years we wouldn’t have had a string of deaths but suddenly out of the blue a tiny number get sick at the same time and now vaping can kill. What’s really going on here?

Have you read any of the thread. A contaminate (Vitamin E Acetate) supply of Black Market THC carts hit the market in the states. And possibly black-market JUUL pods as well.

Seriously?

With the ban on flavorings etc, will lead to a bigger black-market for it, creating increase in Health Problems.

It sounds more like a bad batch of something, I’ve read that cannabis liquid has been identified in a number of the cases, but looking at it objectively these cases are being reported in the states/canada yet in the uk no reports of serious illness etc (a country with millions of vapers). It’s just not adding up to me.

I wonder did people start vaping in the us before U.K.

I wonder did people start vaping in the us before U.K.

A Historical Timeline of Electronic Cigarettes
    April 2006: Electronic cigarettes introduced to Europe.

2006-2007: Electronic cigarettes introduced to the U.S. (The first import ruling locatable in the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website database is dated August 22, 2006. NY M85579)

But Vaping has been a thing long before ecigs, search for 'when did vaping start' must popular result is sponsored by 'JUUL', so not linking it.
    Vaping is a modern trend, but even new vapes have their roots in ancient history. Ancient Egypt is known for its vaping techniques, such as using hot stones to vape herbs. Thousands of years ago the first shisha was introduced to India. All those techniques led to the invention of current vapes as we know them today.

Vaping does not necessarily mean nicotine(eliquid).
    As Drinking does not have to mean alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Bootleg batch of vape liquid that was somehow contaminated with dodge CBD oil is my guess.

But that won't stop the evangelists. Vapers, brace yourselves for more of this anti vaping propoganda.

Cannabis and guns are legal in the US (well cannabis in many States now), but vaping is the evil one now.

corkie wrote: »
    A Historical Timeline of Electronic Cigarettes

I’ve read it now, so my hunch was correct, a bad batch of juice has caused this, it makes sense, however the reaction has all ready and will continue to be completely over the top, let’s ban em all rather than considering the fact that vaping has saved many many lives from death by smoking cigarettes over the years yet soon the vapes could be banned yet you can walk into your local shop and buy twenty blue no problem which are guaranteed to cause health problems and eventually kill you, you couldn’t make it up it’s a mad world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

Your lungs are very delicate and certIn sized toxic particles can get in to certain parts of the lungs and never come back out some day causing health issues.
    A chap was telling me they have dudes on YouTube now doing vape competitions blowing smoke rings and stuff to advertise this stupid addiction to children and resurrect the circle of nicotine addiction to another generation.
    Read Alan Carr’s easy way to stop smoking and you won’t think you need any of this stuff.

I have a strong feeling a lot of the people who post in here are selling the accessories.

Would you be so good as to define 'accessories' for me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Mod Hat On: This forum is for people who enjoy and advocate vaping as an alternative to smoking. It is not for people to come in and tell people they know better. Any more posts like this and you can have a break from the forum. If you don't like vaping that is fine but you don't get to tell people in here they are wrong to make this choice. Most here will agree it's wrong to be pushing vaping to children but most here are adults making a personal choice. Also cease the insinuations about what posters may or may not be selling. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nuttyboy79

This cropped up on a FB group and shows why it's all blowing up imo. As well this apparently is the first year these payments were capped. Coincidence maybe, bullcrap maybe but it all seems too ring true to me.

If this is to be believed who do you trust when you hear about the NHS in the U.K. opening e-cigarette shops in hospitals and then you hear all the scare stories coming from the U.S. the country who as laid out in the video are in the pockets of big tobacco companies or the country whose public health system has no money connections to big tobacco. As it was said in All the President's men "follow the money"

[MSA] [BBC] Why is the Fed pumping money into the banking system? <<< 19 September 2019!

[Vaping With Vic]
    Watts UP Special - The Current US Vape Ban Problem...and possibly its reason...

Follow the $$$$$!

## I'm not affiliated with any store or review site! ##

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Vaping hit piece on the front page of the Sunday Mirror today, calling for a ban on ecigs and claiming that vaping is worse than smoking and drinking combined and it'd be healthier to smoke. Un-fcuking-believable!!

Its bad enough listening to gobsh1tes still smoking the last few years lecturing you that 'they heard that vaping is just as bad as cigarettes', but this new wave of ill-informed scaremongering clickbait BS on social media and print is going to turn that random gobsh1te into an 'expert'.

SMH.

Look, i'm off the smokes long enough now (6+ years) thanks to vaping to know that no matter what happens I'll never go back to smoking, but if this current wave of anti vaping BS succeeds in getting the things banned, then the ringleaders need to be hung drawn and quartered due to the deaths its going to cause.

Calibos wrote: »
    Vaping hit piece on the front page of the Sunday Mirror today, calling for a ban on ecigs and claiming that vaping is worse than smoking and drinking combined and it'd be healthier to smoke. Un-fcuking-believable!!

[irishmirror] Leading heart consultant calls for ban on vaping 'which is more dangerous that smoking and alcohol combined'
    President of the International Society For Vascular Surgery, Prof Sherif Sultan, described e-cigarettes as “the disaster of the century”.

Poor grammar on his homepage and also it seems the good Professor can't count.

And since when did professors of surgery have their own website?

Vaping with Vic and/or the BBC got the size/amount of Indian vapers wrong!

Watts UP?! - Ep 222 - 60K Sub Boxaway, TPD2 Rumours and more advocacy stuff

^^^ What else is he speculating on that could be wrong.

TPD2 Rumors? Increase in the tanks and bottle limitations? Closing the Short-fill loophole?

Haven't found anything on this googling, is TPD2 already published?

As for a professor with own webpage and the source of the article had me questioning it as well. Was he taken out of context and quoted wrong or something. Who in there right mind would agree to be published like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Guffy

Was mentioned today in ecig store that there was a new tax coming in?

They the free shot of nicotine will no longer be free if you take the 50/50 due to tax but 70/30 is fine.

Any ideas if this is linked to the negative publicity as of late or been coming for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm finding it hard to understand why a surgeon would make claims like this with no real evidence to back it up. Surely if he had some inside track he could publish a medical paper and get world wide acclaim

• Advertisement

Guffy wrote: »
    Was mentioned today in ecig store that there was a new tax coming in?

They the free shot of nicotine will no longer be free if you take the 50/50 due to tax but 70/30 is fine.

Any ideas if this is linked to the negative publicity as of late or been coming for a while?

Sounds like speculation to me.

Put it like this, Minimum Unit Pricing was in Fine Gaels manifesto and it hasn't come in yet. The negative vaping publicity only started a couple of weeks ago.

Advertisement