Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffith Avenue Mile 22/9/2019

• 20-08-2019 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭

Official website: https://griffithavenuemile.ie/

No connection to this, other than it’s local and looks like a fast course that the organisers, Marino AC, have assured will be accurately measured by AI certifiers. A mile race, slightly downhill (and allegedly downwind) on the Dublin northside’s leafiest thoroughfare. Following in the footsteps of a 1983 race on the same course that Eamonn Coughlan did not win - although he is back this year as official starter.

I reckon it could be a good one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Getting the support of a corrupt ex-politician?

Disappointing to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yes, I was surprised to see that featured, poor judgement possibly, but I wouldn’t let it put me off. We are used to seeing him wandering about the place and ignoring him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Would love to do this, but 22 miles that morning would not be the ideal warmup...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Perhaps a beer mile the night before to settle the nerves might be better? :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Getting the support of a corrupt ex-politician?

Disappointing to say the least.

Only one politician named mentioned by the OP, who is an ex politician too. I don't believe that you are referring to him....just in case :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Booked in for this, just in case I can do it.

The family run is already sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Anyone know what's the plan for this? Let everyone off together or in waves sub 4, sub 5 etc

Anyone know what's the plan for this? Let everyone off together or in waves sub 4, sub 5 etc

I have sent off the same question to the organisers so will let you know.

Just in from the committee.....

We plan to have a small number of waves for the timed race, asking those who fall into certain timed categories (sub 5, sub 8, sub 10 etc) to get away together. Finalising details now, but will be communicated to all participants in advance and on the day by our MC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Thank you for your interest. I am part of the organising committee and happy to answer any questions here that I can. Note that whilst the family ticket we originally had for sales is now sold out, kids and adults can still register for the fun run for €5 and €15 respectively. Adults can still register for the timed run for the same €15.

Anything else I can answer, let me know.

Please note that this event is being run by the All Hallows Area Association and the Marino Athletics Club on a voluntary, not for profit basis. We are all volunteers who have day jobs to focus on, so our responses may be slightly delayed.

Thanks again for your interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Planning to do this, hoping I have not lost too much speed since the end of track season. Would like to go under 5 mins.
    Who else is running?

Any information on number pick-up location and suitable parking? Could not see that on website.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Planning to do this, hoping I have not lost too much speed since the end of track season. Would like to go under 5 mins.
    Who else is running?

Any information on number pick-up location and suitable parking? Could not see that on website.

Bit sketchy alright. I emailed earlier, will post if I get reply.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Bit sketchy alright. I emailed earlier, will post if I get reply.

Response:

“All logisitical information will be emailed to participants in the coming days. So please keep an eye on your inbox for this shortly.”

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Notwithstanding some hard to understand moaning on this page, this was a tremendous event, fair play to all concerned. It was brilliant to have a road closed down for a community event with such good atmosphere and nice weather. Practically everybody was beaming as they crossed the line. It has to become an annual event, I can't think of anywhere else in Dublin better for it.

The only quibble was the road closure only happened right before the start and warming up was quite tricky. If they could close off ten minutes earlier it would be a huge help.

Oh and the fact I was running it on ruined post half marathon legs!

Yes, it would be good to see this one get off the ground - the pre- and post-race setup in All Hallows was superb. Free 99s - that's a first!

I'm not that surprised by the limited road closure. Having said that, the road was still closed a good while after the event, so perhaps the race could have been moved a little further into the closure window (just a suggestion, which of course would be less easy to do if there were more participants - the family 'fun run' ticked was sold out but there seemed to be still plenty of capacity in all races).

Narrow starting corral was a bit unusual, it looked like it might have been easy to get stuck at the back through no fault of anyone's as people were asked to go in without any real guidance re time/position. Luckily we were able to politely push up to an appropriate spot.

Hopefully the event will be back next year, I'd certainly do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Good event alright, worth the 6hr round trip. Hit my target time but felt I left a bit out there. There is opportunity to expand the front end of the field and have a proper elite race with lads pushing for sub 4, if the time of year was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I'd love to see more races like this one around the country. #bringbackthemile

Advertisement