Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anti-Irish sentiment in England. Civil War? etc.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

flanna01 wrote: »
    Clap trap.... Utter clap trap!!

Brexit is to leave the EU, not a racial thing....

'' For many UK voters brexit is all about getting foreigners out of the country''

??????

I thought the UK voters voted to leave the EU no..????

We had the civil war scenario previously, are you now suggesting this is about to become a race war..??

Poor England... They have enough on their plate with the real Brexit issues at the moment, thanks for enlightening us to your interpretation of it... Not!

Hate to interject but every single Brexit voter I have spoken to over the past 3 years in England cited 'too many emigrants' as a reason for voting for Brexit. In fact, it was the only reason I heard.

Nigel from Bromely does not give a crap or understand customs union or free trade. He sees too many Johnny Foreigner types taking 'our jobs and women'.

The fact that most emigrants are from south east Asia and eff all to do with the EU is totally lost on him. But it's convenient to blame Brussels.

It was about 'Taking back control [of the border]'

But no, there is no race war or civil war or anything of that nature. They are too busy with Love Island.

seamus wrote: »
    In raw numbers, Irish passports issued to UK residents has more than doubled while British passports issued to NI residents has dropped. This would indicate that people are eager to give themselves the option of living somewhere that's not the UK.

or just eager to avoid queues at passport control, which is the biggest advantage an Irish passport would give a British citizen.
    The fact that most emigrants are from south east Asia and eff all to do with the EU is totally lost on him. But it's convenient to blame Brussels.

is it lost on the South Asians though https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2016/11/03/why-did-south-asians-vote-for-brexit/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Hate to interject but every single Brexit voter I have spoken to over the past 3 years in England cited 'too many emigrants as a reason for voting for Brexit. In fact, it was the only reason I heard.

Nigel from Bromely does not give a crap or understand customs union or free trade. He sees too many Johnny Foreigner types taking 'our jobs and women'.

We can't say that Brexit was entirely about immigration, but it cannot be denied that it was a large factor. Just look at the background. The migrant crisis and Merkel saying that these people should be distributed more evenly throughout Europe did not sit well with people in the UK. Look at Nigel Farage with his 'Breaking Point' poster, depicting a thick snaking caravan of non-Caucasian people. To add to that, the Dover-Calais route is seen as a primary vector for illegal immigration to the UK, and when Brexit politicians talk about 'controlling our borders', they're really talking about the Channel Tunnel.

Aegir wrote: »
    or just eager to avoid queues at passport control, which is the biggest advantage an Irish passport would give a British citizen.

is it lost on the South Asians though https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2016/11/03/why-did-south-asians-vote-for-brexit/

Indeed. I am friends with an Asian guy (born and raised in the UK). His father was an emigrant from India.

While he voted Remain his father voted Out and cited emigrants. The son was like WTF? You fell off the boat less than 50 years ago.

While he voted Remain his father voted Out and cited emigrants. The son was like WTF? You fell off the boat less than 50 years ago.

My area voted remain, but I have a couple of friends of Pakistani descent who voted leave, because a group of Poles had set up a taxi company that was undercutting them on their fixed fair routes.

No one ever sees themselves as an immigrant I guess.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/the-irish-in-britain-who-back-brexit-in-my-circle-everyone-voted-leave-1.3820951

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Civil war? get a grip! They'll be too busy fighting for food to have an ideological based conflict.

Let them eat Gateaux.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Sure no wonder the Travelers make a killing over here. Easy pickings.

Mod note:

Making prejudiced comments is a breach of the site rules. Doing so jn an attempt to prove how prejudiced British people are is just poor taste

Mod note:

Making prejudiced comments is a breach of the site rules. Doing so jn an attempt to prove how prejudiced British people are is just poor taste

Hold on. Talk about completely misreading a post.

I was alluding to the fact that Irish Travelers do a lot of business and make a lot of money in England whereas in Ireland they would’ve told to get lost, the English can be a little too trusting and naive in believing everyone at face value.

I have no idea how that is an example of ‘British prejudice’ or how you came to that idea. If anything it’s quite the opposite. You have made yourself look very silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

The title of this thread was ''Anti-Irish sediment in the UK''

My response to that title is - What utter nonsense!

The Irish living and working in Britain are treated respectfully, and have mainly integrated into British society without a problem. A lot of the Irish that left these shores back in the 1950s and 1960s as young teenagers and twenty somethings, have chosen to remain in Britain, and raised their children there.

Ireland currently has around 5% unemployment (which is basically full Employment), yet the amount of graduates still heading off to London / UK is amazing...

Of course you will still get the mindless moron shouting Irish out, Blacks out, Jews out, Gays out, Santa Claus out....
    Its hardly a reflection of the majority of the British public is it...??

I have been to many towns and Citys in Britain, they are friendly, accommodating, and really couldn't give a hoot about you being Irish...

It's nonsense and trolling threads like, this that plant seeds of resentment in weak minds..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

The title of this thread was ''Anti-Irish sediment in the UK''

My response to that title is - What utter nonsense!

The Irish living and working in Britain are treated respectfully, and have mainly integrated into British society without a problem. A lot of the Irish that left these shores back in the 1950s and 1960s as young teenagers and twenty somethings, have chosen to remain in Britain, and raised their children there.

Ireland currently has around 5% unemployment (which is basically full Employment), yet the amount of graduates still heading off to London / UK is amazing...

Of course you will still get the mindless moron shouting Irish out, Blacks out, Jews out, Gays out, Santa Claus out....
    Its hardly a reflection of the majority of the British public is it...??

I have been to many towns and Citys in Britain, they are friendly, accommodating, and really couldn't give a hoot about you being Irish...

It's nonsense and trolling threads like, this that plant seeds of resentment in weak minds..

I think you will find that it is the current British government and right wing media and their increasingly desperate attempts to make the Irish a scapegoat for their disastrous course of action which is resulting in some reactionary threads. Apportion blame appropriately

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Don't accuse people of trolling here please. Use the report function.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I would echo that there is virtually no anti-Irish sentiment in England. I have been here over 10 years and I have never experienced any sort of anti-Irish sentiment whatsoever.

Quite the opposite in fact. Barely a week goes by that somebody will say 'Oh you're Irish. My I]insert relation of choice[/I was Irish. What part are you from?'

Sure to begin with I was a little self conscious but after a few weeks I realised nobody gives a crap. The vast majority of workplaces will have people from a variety of different backgrounds and cultures. I have experienced nothing but goodwill.

We are white and we speak fluent English. People need to appreciate that the UK has nearly 70m million people. It is a complex multi layered and multicultural society at the centre of world commerce and trade. It is on a level that Ireland can never imagine. Of course, it's not all roses and perfume but let's leave that to another thread.

Ireland (yes I know we love to think we are great altogether and everyone loves us) is a small indigenous island of 4m people off an island off the coast of Europe.

While we are little obsessed with British culture and Irish history has been 99.99% dominated by Britain the same cannot be said for Ireland's influence over Britain.

I work in a nondescript post industrial town in the West Midlands with over 280k people. A town the vast majority of Irish people will never have heard of but yet it is more populous than Galway, Waterford, Tallaght and Limerick combined. There are 6 million people within a 40 mile radius.

I deal with the public and just off the top of my head I have dealt the following nationalities on a weekly and daily basis over the past 12 months:-

Indian
    Pakistani
    Bengali
    Chinese
    Sri Lankan
    Ghana
    Ivory Coast
    Iran
    Iraq
    Saudi Arabia
    Turkey
    Ukraine
    France
    Greece
    Germany
    Cyprus
    Romania
    Poland
    Irish
    South Africa
    Jamaican
    Grenada
    Lithuanian
    Vietnamese
    Malaysian

My point being that while we are held in high regard for sure we are nothing special.

The Irish need to get over themselves looking for a persecution complex- we are old news. There has been some awful cringe worthy articles in the Irish Times in recent months.

Of course this is just my experience and I do not speak for anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Not heard this from any Irish friends. I know substantial amounts who have noted dramatic increases in anti british abuse but hey, that doesn't or hasn't ever even been acknowledged as remotely important in irish society has it? Seems to be the acceptable type of abuse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

The average English person wouldn't know a thing about Anglo-Irish history, apart from whatever the Daily Mail feeds them about IRA attacks, as far as they are concerned the IRA were killing jolly young British soldiers who were playing scrabble and listening to Elvis Presley on the wireless at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭del_c

There are proportionally more people in Ireland born outside of Ireland living here than the comparable number in the UK.....so this idea that the UK is an exceptionally mixed populace, and Ireland "is a small indigenous island" is disingenuous.

"at the centre of world commerce and trade."//Ireland is a more open economy and a much bigger trading economy than England.

Talk of Ireland being merely an "island ... off an island", makes me think you need to get home for a while sir!

...though you'd probably enjoy this article
    https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/09/backdoor-backstop-ireland-s-shifting-relationship-britain-and-europe

del_c wrote: »
    There are proportionally more people in Ireland born outside of Ireland living here than the comparable number in the UK.....so this idea that the UK is an exceptionally mixed populace, and Ireland "is a small indigenous island" is disingenuous.

14.4% of the UK population was born outside the UK
    12.2% of the Irish population was born outside Ireland (coming from a very small base. What was it 20 years ago I wonder?)

Two important factors:

1. The percentage of people born in the UK to emigrants say, 2nd and 3rd generation The overwhelming number of emigrants in Ireland are first generation.
    2. The sheer diversity of emigrants in the UK

Take out the Polish (predominantly white and Catholic like the Irish) community and it is not that diverse in Ireland and the percentage above would come way down. How people many from South Asia do you know in Ireland. Tiny tiny percentage.
    "at the centre of world commerce and trade."//Ireland is a more open economy and a much bigger trading economy than England.

GDP
    $2.8 trillion v $450 billion

I guess the UK is far more dependent on Ireland than Ireland is on the UK. Right.
    Talk of Ireland being merely an "island ... off an island", makes me think you need to get home for a while sir!

...though you'd probably enjoy this article
    https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/09/backdoor-backstop-ireland-s-shifting-relationship-britain-and-europe

Read that weeks ago. And?

Don't confuse the political ****fest that is Brexit with the overall health of the country.

Ireland is an island off an island off the coast of Europe. That's a statement of geographical fact.

I lived in Ireland for over 30 years and back 4-5 times a year- it's not like I am in NZ. I have perspective.

I am not some apologist for the UK. All I am doing is giving it some context. As I have written here before, we love to think we are awfully important and big player in the world. Sorry to break it but we are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭del_c

we're 1/8 the size of UK, but exports are a third of theirs in terms of volume...that's trade is a much bigger part of our economy

https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/ireland/uk?sc=XE34

we're 1/8 the size of UK, but exports are a third of theirs in terms of volume...that's trade is a much bigger part of our economy

https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/ireland/uk?sc=XE34

Well yes because trade/manufacturing/industry is 38% of the Irish ecomony whereas it is 19% of the UK. Ireland is more reliant on industry.

Whereas services (finanical, legal, insurance) comprises 80% of the UK econ (London accounts for 49% alone), it is 60% of Ireland's.

It is a lot easier to trade in financial services than industry.

Advertisement