Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Will they be doing an album like last time? S&M was so good first time around I'd love to see proper professional footage

I doubt there will be a DVD in this day and age, most likely just audio physical formats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I doubt there will be a DVD in this day and age, most likely just audio physical formats

They could just throw it up on YouTube I suppose. But as it's being professionally the video will definitely end up somewhere. They wouldn't go to the hassle of filming it if it was only going to a get a 'one night only' treatment in a cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Front row video of The Day That Never Comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

They could just throw it up on YouTube I suppose. But as it's being professionally the video will definitely end up somewhere. They wouldn't go to the hassle of filming it if it was only going to a get a 'one night only' treatment in a cinema.

They have been putting their recent full live concerts from the European Stadium tour up on the Nugs net site, for Nugs subscribers, those gigs were all professionally recorded. So if it didn't end up on a blu-ray or something the concert(s) will be on there I'd imagine... but I'd expect some sort of physical release for the S&M2 footage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I'd say it's going to get a DVD release

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Well, last night was ****ing amazing. Few technical problems meant the band and orchestra fell out of sync occasionally, but some of those new songs sounded amazing. I've never seen Hetfield look so awkward on stage before when he was singing Unforgiven 3 though

feylya wrote: »
    Well, last night was ****ing amazing. Few technical problems meant the band and orchestra fell out of sync occasionally, but some of those new songs sounded amazing. I've never seen Hetfield look so awkward on stage before when he was singing Unforgiven 3 though

Can't stand that song.

The set list is OK. Would have liked to have seen more new songs. I really like this version of All Within My Hands; ever since the AWMH concert that track has taken on a whole new life.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

feylya wrote: »

yeah saw footage of this really looked odd and awkward for Hetfield

Cant wait to see the show and hoping for a Blu Ray release in time for Xmas

Is it much differet visually etc from S&M1 ??

S&M 1 they were on a stage in an auditorium. This time they’re in the round in a basketball arena.

YouTube’s got videos of both.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

PTH2009 wrote: »
    yeah saw footage of this really looked odd and awkward for Hetfield

Cant wait to see the show and hoping for a Blu Ray release in time for Xmas

Is it much differet visually etc from S&M1 ??

Completely. Loads of lights, smoke, and video for 2, along with being in the round

• Advertisement

picked up 3 cans of Enter Night the other day, having 1 now, taste is ok but nothing special. Prob be ok on tap but hard enough to get outside of dublin id say

Iron Maidens one The Trooper is next on my list of rock band beers. out and out gimmick money maker i say. For Metallica James cant drink anymore :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

picked up 3 cans of Enter Night the other day, having 1 now, taste is ok but nothing special. Prob be ok on tap but hard enough to get outside of dublin id say

Iron Maidens one The Trooper is next on my list of rock band beers. out and out gimmick money maker i say. For Metallica James cant drink anymore :confused:

have a can sitting in my fridge a few weeks, been told its okay, but sure i havent drank in years

james can drink all he wants, he just knows that wouldnt be a good idea, id imagine not an easy thing to deal with

Where in Dublin can you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Metallica ? Gimmicks ? Nooooooo way !!!:confused:

I heard they are bringing out a chilled water... Its called "Trapped under Ice"

A line of Dentistry clothing , called "Anesthesia, Pulling Teeth"
    Power packs for toys - " BAttery"
    A club for people that love dough - "Breadfan"
    A carpet cleaning company - "Don't thread on me"
    An alternative fire extinguisher - "Fight fire with Fire"
    Message alert for church goers - "For whom the bell tolls"
    A meeting house for unhappy people - "Harvester of Sorrow"
    New amusement ride - "Ride the Lightning"
    Hunger games rip off - "Seek and Destroy"
    New 'Surf&Turf' restaurant - "Spit out the Bone"
    Childrens creche - "Until it Sleeps"
    Crematorium - "The memory Remains"
    Divorce lawyers - "Here comes Revenge"
    Electricans clothing - "Hardwired"
    Clothing dye - "Fade to Black"
    Hangover remedy - "Cure"
    MMA club - "Broken, beat & Scarred"
    Club for rich people - "Better than You"
    Hair dye - "Blackened"
    Solicitors - "And Justice for All"
    Glass cleaners - "Dirty Window"
    Train Station cafes - "The end of the Line"

:D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

greenspurs wrote: »

Hangover remedy - "Cure"
    Hair dye - "Blackened"

Jesus you went to all that trouble for what exactly?

Jesus you went to all that trouble of commenting for what exactly?

greenspurs wrote: »

Hangover remedy - "Cure"
    Hair dye - "Blackened"

F*@kin brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Just for, the …………… laugh.... you know...….

Sorry if you were outraged …

(Your fave song ? "My friend of Misery") ;)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Wow didnt expect this. All the best to James and hope for recovers fully again would never of guessed he turned to the dark side again. I wonder was all the alcohol endorsements the the reason ??.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B27xlsSAoM0/?igshid=2tijrb1frpj5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Wow didnt expect this. All the best to James and hope for recovers fully again would never of guessed he turned to the dark side again. I wonder was all the alcohol endorsements the the reason ??.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B27xlsSAoM0/?igshid=2tijrb1frpj5

Just read it there myself, and came on here to post. Can't believe it, and today is also Cliff's anniversary. Sept 27 has never been a good day for them at all, Newsted also made his decision to quit Metallica on Sept 27 2000, but didn't go through with it till January, now this news came to be.

Could well be all the alcohol related projects and the fact that it's been all go for them since Hardwired came out. Mad, he always seemed like he was a rock at abstaining from alcohol in interviews whenever he was asked about it, seemed so tired of drink in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭klose

Can't believe it but needless to say wish him a speedy recovery!

A quick Google shows by the time the world wired tour wraps up it will have gone on for over 4 years, hard to imagine the stress and toll that takes on a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

klose wrote: »
    Can't believe it but needless to say wish him a speedy recovery!

A quick Google shows by the time the world wired tour wraps up it will have gone on for over 4 years, hard to imagine the stress and toll that takes on a person.

What's funny is, I did think he's been looking a little rough in his photos of late, especially in the charity photos they take with the big cheques. I put it down to him just growing the hair and stash back, but in some photos I did think he looked a bit off, maybe he's been having a sneaky few drinks to get through the tour. I dunno, his mindset in previous years let you believe he knocked it on the head. Hope he will be OK anyway, has to be done for himself and the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Stress of touring, this is worse than it looks.

Poor chap, addiction must be hell, the mind can be a scary place, I wish him well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It like to hope that it's a case of him seeing the signs of a problem re emerging, and taking the time to deal with it, rather than going off the rails completely. Better to cancel a as many gigs as needed and get himself sorted than burn out completely and affect his family.

We can all only wish him the best.

I know the way they tour these days (3 weeks on, one month off) is supposed to make it easier for them to manage and they aren't staying in cheap motels and all piled into a bus but still, touring this album for 3 years is still a grind and in hindsight, probably not the best idea. I know touring is where the money is for bands these days but mental health personal well being need to be considered too.

I know the way they tour these days (3 weeks on, one month off) is supposed to make it easier for them to manage and they aren't staying in cheap motels and all piled into a bus but still, touring this album for 3 years is still a grind and in hindsight, probably not the best idea. I know touring is where the money is for bands these days but mental health personal well being need to be considered too.

I assume they assumed they had the mental health stuff covered with their plan, this is rather sad news, he looked and sounded like he has been in a great place for a long time, must be tough on his family

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I assume they assumed they had the mental health stuff covered with their plan

Ah yeah, I'm sure they had but the tour started in September 2016 and they're still going and were planning to go into 2020 with it. How long does it need to be?
    Planning's all well and good but until you live it, you don't know how it's going to affect you.

This is so sad. Thought he'd been looking quite rough in a few pictures and vids lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

This is so sad. Thought he'd been looking quite rough in a few pictures and vids lately

People have been speculating in regard to his appearance for a while now and that it maybe down to a relapse.

The reality is james will never not be an alcoholic, sadly, it always be shadowing him.

I don't see how metallica can maintain the kind of touring schedule they've been on lately and hope to keep james healthy. His last rehab was especially grueling and he was a much younger man then.

Definitely a watershed moment for the band imo - something will have to give.

Advertisement