Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Engagment Ring Dubai or Antwerp?!

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭doireannod

bren2002 wrote: »
    Have you looked at bluenile.co.uk? I just designed a .96 carat white gold ring for a shade over €4,000.
    Dubai is a long way to go unless you're making a holiday of it anyway.

I went to Sherans (sp?) when I bought my Mrs ring. The one advantage here is a lifetime cleaning facility. She drops it in about once a year and there is a noticeable difference after its cleaned. They pick up a lot of crap over time.

I agree that after care considerations are very important. I've also heard some terrible stories about people coming back from abroad with fake GIA certs. There's good value and service in Ireland.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

honey12345 wrote: »
    Whats your problem? Go buy yourself a ring the sparkle will make you smile

Seriously? Banned for 2 weeks. When you come back please make sure you read and abide by the forum charter and the Boards.ie posting guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'd go with Antwerp. Cheap enough to get there, not too long on the flight. If you're bored of it, get the train down to Bruges, that's meant to be nice. We got our engagement ring and wedding bands there, from Harold Phillipe, he's sound. The missus was e-mailing him about getting an emerald eternity ring, all done through emails. He had a photo of her hands from the last time we were there, and through consultation with her, designed another one for her. Waiting for it to be delivered in the post as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

As far as I know, diamonds in Middle East are controlled and I know where I live anyways (not Dubai for record), if you are a jeweler found mis selling/counterfeit/fraudulent diamonds, the government can take away their business.

Sharia law takes fraud really seriously, it's a major crime they don't take lightly.

The diamond market here is flooded (due to the wealth here and expecting everyone to be dripping in them), it's why they are cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭doireannod

As far as I know, diamonds in Middle East are controlled and I know where I live anyways (not Dubai for record), if you are a jeweler found mis selling/counterfeit/fraudulent diamonds, the government can take away their business.

Sharia law takes fraud really seriously, it's a major crime they don't take lightly.

The diamond market here is flooded (due to the wealth here and expecting everyone to be dripping in them), it's why they are cheaper.

I've only heard bad stories about fake GIA certs from Antwerp. So maybe Dubai is the safest bet between the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

doireannod wrote: »
    I've only heard bad stories about fake GIA certs from Antwerp. So maybe Dubai is the safest bet between the two?

I've no idea about GIA Certs tbh as my hubby bought my engagement ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

bren2002 wrote: »
    Have you looked at bluenile.co.uk? I just designed a .96 carat white gold ring for a shade over €4,000.
    Dubai is a long way to go unless you're making a holiday of it anyway.

A colleague of mine bought her ring on Blue Nile. She'd be an extensive shopper so I know she shopped around for a good deal. She was (and still is) delighted with her ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Hoping to get a ring in Dubai. Cara seem to come very well recommended. Have they still got the Galway shop?

Can anyone give examples of prices from Cara with cut, clarity, colour, and carat?

Is there room for haggling? Any examples of first price quoted vs actual price paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Look up the James Allen website and buy the diamond online and get the ring made locally. You'll save a fortune, won't have to fly anywhere and get the exact ring style you want.

On a side note, the idea that a guideline for the amount you should spend on a ring would be based on your GROSS salary is insane (and the original guide was 1 months salary - suggested by DeBeers diamonds).

• Advertisement

cooperguy wrote: »
    Look up the James Allen website and buy the diamond online and get the ring made locally. You'll save a fortune, won't have to fly anywhere and get the exact ring style you want.

On a side note, the idea that a guideline for the amount you should spend on a ring would be based on your GROSS salary is insane (and the original guide was 1 months salary - suggested by DeBeers diamonds).

So both myself and herself will be in Dubai with work for 2 weeks in September.

No flight costs, no accommodation costs, and they'll feed us for two weeks.

Am I going to get better bang for my buck buying the engagement ring in Dubai compared to buying in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

hurikane wrote: »
    So both myself and herself will be in Dubai with work for 2 weeks in September.

No flight costs, no accommodation costs, and they'll feed us for two weeks.

Am I going to get better bang for my buck buying the engagement ring in Dubai compared to buying in Ireland?

Definitely!
    The prices over there are way less than here. Make sure to go to somewhere reputable. The Golf and Diamond park is a small shopping center with only jewellery shops! We were a bit wary of the gold souks (market) and preferred to go to the regular shops in the gold and diamond park. It's a few years ago now but the best one at the time there was Cara. A lot of Irish who live in Dubai go there. They will also give you the proper diamond certificates as well.
    They're important for knowing what you're getting but also for if you need the ring valued for insurance at any stage etc.

What I did was look around at home in shops and decide on what I wanted before I got to Dubai so I wasn't totally confused once I got there. They will make up pretty much anything you want if they don't have it ready made.

You need to haggle though and maybe even leave and go back after a while!
    Probably worth looking at getting wedding rings at the same time too.

sillysocks wrote: »
    Definitely!
    The prices over there are way less than here. Make sure to go to somewhere reputable. The Golf and Diamond park is a small shopping center with only jewellery shops! We were a bit wary of the gold souks (market) and preferred to go to the regular shops in the gold and diamond park. It's a few years ago now but the best one at the time there was Cara. A lot of Irish who live in Dubai go there. They will also give you the proper diamond certificates as well.
    They're important for knowing what you're getting but also for if you need the ring valued for insurance at any stage etc.

What I did was look around at home in shops and decide on what I wanted before I got to Dubai so I wasn't totally confused once I got there. They will make up pretty much anything you want if they don't have it ready made.

You need to haggle though and maybe even leave and go back after a while!
    Probably worth looking at getting wedding rings at the same time too.

That's great, thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Anneanne1985

Has anyone bought a ring from Fergus Appleton of "Dubai Rocks" in Dubai?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Have a look at https://www.jamesallen.com/ if you can get someone to bring it over for you

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ke1

When you buy a diamond ring and it has a GIA cert with it, does that mean it's legit? Is it possible to receive a dud diamond with a cert? Sorry for the pessimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ke1

No the Galway branch of Cara diamonds closed down a year or two ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Ke1 wrote: »
    When you buy a diamond ring and it has a GIA cert with it, does that mean it's legit? Is it possible to receive a dud diamond with a cert? Sorry for the pessimism.

It certainly is. The cert has a number on it which is microscopically inscribed onto the diamond. This number could be inscribed onto a "dud diamond" or you could just get a legit cert with a dud diamond.

With everything there are many ways to get ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 countryhunt

Travelled to Antwerp recently for an engagement ring. Tried a few jewellers here first and weren't impressed with the value. Did a good bit of diamond research beforehand. Ended up going with Grand Diamonds and I'm very happy with the result.
    We stayed a couple of days but it could be done in one. Half an hour train from Brussels airport to Antwerp central and a 5 minute walk to all diamond jewellers. Good experience in the shop. Owners are friendly and patient with helping pick the design. Once the setting and diamond is picked they bring you across to the workshop to resize, set and polish which is a nice experience. Great being able to try on the ring after each resize. Ended up getting wedding bands too. Got the ring valued back in Dublin for insurance and it was valued at twice the cost.
    Overall an easy trip and one I would recommend.

Advertisement