Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird noise from sky

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,351 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Not strictly weather related but just had a very strange experience here.

For the last 10 minutes, and very deep 'droning' sound was heard outside, so deep in fact, that the chair I was sitting on vibrated. Went outside, as did others in the street, and the sound clearly was coming from the sky, but such was the nature of the sound, it was hard to pinpoint a specific point. The sound itself was constant, but the deeper sounds came in specific 'waves'. I am sorry I wasn't quick thinking enough to record it but it was very weird and very very eerie.

Anyone any ideas? Is the current state of the atmosphere making the sound of ordinary jets sound stranger than they normally would be? or have the Russians decided to go all out?? :eek: I jest of course but this was no normal aircraft sound.

Is it 5g?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Antonov AN- 12BK just flew over here near Tralee few minutes ago, came from the UK heading out into the Atlantic, destination N/A. Have heard Antonov's a few times, not sure of exact type, can't remember. Once in the early morning 2 flying close together woke me up, ran out the back couldn't believe how loud they were.

Shannon reporting broken cloud at 14,000 feet tonight. Saw a high layer of cloud at dusk and calm tonight outside so probably sound being bounced downwards making it sound so loud, probably louder than if there was no cloud ceiling? Looked at the radar after it left the coast and it was flying at 26, 000 ft approx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Antonov AN- 12BK just flew over here near Tralee few minutes ago, came from the UK heading out into the Atlantic, destination N/A. Have heard Antonov's a few times, not sure of exact type, can't remember. Once in the early morning 2 flying close together woke me up, ran out the back couldn't believe how loud they were.

Shannon reporting broken cloud at 14,000 feet tonight. Saw a high layer of cloud at dusk and calm tonight outside so probably sound being bounced downwards making it sound so loud, probably louder than if there was no cloud ceiling? Looked at the radar after it left the coast and it was flying at 26, 000 ft approx.
    I heard it as well. Wondered what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Once in the early morning 2 flying close together woke me up, ran out the back couldn't believe how loud they were.

Don't know what it is about those Antonov planes, but the look and sound of them freak me out. Was watching this one on youtube the other day, and while non-propellered (if that is even a thing..) the sound it makes as it crosses over is downright unnerving... but still breath-takingly awesome:

https://youtu.be/5jALTAeHLbQ?t=259

I wonder does this plane ever fly over Ireland?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Don't know what it is about those Antonov planes, but the look and sound of them freak me out. Was watching this one on youtube the other day, and while non-propellered (if that is even a thing..) the sound it makes as it crosses over is downright unnerving... but still breath-takingly awesome:

Been in Shannon quite a few times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I was lucky enough to be at Brize Norton, in the UK, where it's a regular visitor. The road passes very close to the end of the runway & plane spotters gather there. The Antonov has to wind up it's engines for a minute before releasing the brakes.

A group of "tourist" spotters had set up camping chairs & ignored our warnings - they were blown across the road & into the ditch :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Trebor176

An AN12 flying over. For anyone unsure, here's a clear sound of it at 20 odd thousand feet up.

https://youtu.be/tcYofHsBIBM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Trebor176 wrote: »
    An AN12 flying over. For anyone unsure, here's a clear sound of it at 20 odd thousand feet up.

Sounds like a flying didgeridoo.

Trebor176 wrote: »

Yep, something similar to what I heard the other day. Another great recording here (it followed that vid you posted)

As 'droney' as the A-12 passing was, it paled in comparison to when the A-22 passed over that time I opened this thread. The sound shook the earth itself.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

An 12(UR-CAH) inbound from the Atlantic and will be heard over Galway in next 30 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

I've had aural phenomena a little like this which has confused me and made me fearful. Sometimes it can be your imagination other times it is real. I've seen something like an cloaked robotic device with no legs or wheels hovering in the air surveying me inside my house. You can just see the general shape, but you can watch it move around the room completely independently of me as if it has it's own mind, and you can see it's field of vision like a cone of light as it surveys different parts of the room, or your body. Typically it is invisible to normal sight but I've seen them a few times. But they don't make a noise. But there is a very strange noise from inside my sofa. If you press your ear to the sofa you can hear deep humming sound. I've often wanted to rip it apart and see what is inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

An 12(UR-CAH) inbound from the Atlantic and will be heard over Galway in next 30 minutes.

Just heard it going over North Dublin (lusk) even though I'm near Baldonnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Andreas77 wrote: »
    I've had aural phenomena a little like this which has confused me and made me fearful. Sometimes it can be your imagination other times it is real. I've seen something like an cloaked robotic device with no legs or wheels hovering in the air surveying me inside my house. You can just see the general shape, but you can watch it move around the room completely independently of me as if it has it's own mind, and you can see it's field of vision like a cone of light as it surveys different parts of the room, or your body. Typically it is invisible to normal sight but I've seen them a few times. But they don't make a noise. But there is a very strange noise from inside my sofa. If you press your ear to the sofa you can hear deep humming sound. I've often wanted to rip it apart and see what is inside.

Jeez, that's no way to talk about your wife

Just had a very loud, booming plane sound flying over and checked Flight 24 only to discover it was a plane mentioned in this very thread:

9Ihi1SD.png

Incredible sound that is still audible via boomy waves. People in north Mayo should be able to hear it about now.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Wonder who supplies their engines?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Just had a very loud, booming plane sound flying over and checked Flight 24 only to discover it was a plane mentioned in this very thread:

9Ihi1SD.png

Incredible sound that is still audible via boomy waves. People in north Mayo should be able to hear it about now.

I heard that same plane a few weeks ago and immediately checked flightradar, makes a really distinctive sound

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

What the original poster heard was an antonov 22 which is a quad propeller aircraft(largest in the world ) which causes the distinctive sound, the last few post are about the antonov 124 which is a turbo fan aircraft and is no louder than an Boeing 747 or airbus a380 but due to its weight at take off climbed very slowly and sounded unusually loud

Advertisement