Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint problems?

• 31-05-2019 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Any of you guys any stories about maintaining, improving, joint/bone health in later life?

I came across an article about simmering cow hoofs/shin bones in a pot for 18 hours and keeping the broth, suppose to be great, dunno bout this one.

Similar story about chicken feet/legs, and pig knees?

The membrane in an egg, the bit that sticks to the shell is supposed to be great, theirs studies to back this one up. You can buy this as an expensive supplement.

Anybody an miracle stories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,915 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

to be honest, they all sound like old wives tales.

If they worked, they'd be in a product you could go into a shop and buy.

Isn't cod liver oil meant to be good for joint health and flexibility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The only one with any foundation in science and research seems to be Cod Liver Oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

"Fillet of a fenny snake,

In the cauldron boil and bake;

Eye of newt and toe of frog,

Wool of bat and tongue of dog,

Adder’s fork and blind-worm’s sting,

Lizard’s leg and owlet’s wing,

For a charm of powerful trouble,

Like a hell-broth boil and bubble."

Don't forget the copper bracelets.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

OldGoat wrote: »
    "Fillet of a fenny snake,

In the cauldron boil and bake;

Eye of newt and toe of frog,

Wool of bat and tongue of dog,

Adder’s fork and blind-worm’s sting,

Lizard’s leg and owlet’s wing,

For a charm of powerful trouble,

Like a hell-broth boil and bubble."

Don't forget the copper bracelets.

Most of this is easy to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Never managed to get wool of bat though! They must have stopped making it! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

You can definitely buy beef or chicken bone broth in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Read up about the supplement Glucosamine.

There is a lot of info online, and you can also ask your GP what they think in relation to your own specific case.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

juneg wrote: »
    You can definitely buy beef or chicken bone broth in the shops.

Very easy to make too. We used to have home made soup with bones boiled for the stock. You can still get bones free from most butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

otnomart wrote: »
    Read up about the supplement Glucosamine.

There is a lot of info online, and you can also ask your GP what they think in relation to your own specific case.

My wife swears by it and has used it for the last year or more

DeBurca wrote: »
    My wife swears by it and has used it for the last year or more

Egg membrane I mention in OP has it and other building blocks. If she finds it useful.

• Advertisement

Has anybody tried stem cells yet here?

Clinic in Dublin doing it - Medica

Based off of work done at Trinity & Co

Another promising device in the works - https://www.cartiheal.com/agili-c/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Some relatives of mine have, on their knees, with great results, but your cartilage needs to be at the right level of degeneration, so to speak. When the damage is still relatively minimal, then injections of hyaluronic acid may prove beneficial. When the damage has progressed more but there's still cartilage present, then the stem cell treatment with cells taken from the fat from your abdomen works best. But if the damage is beyond that, then a knee replacement is your only option (as in, the first two wouldn't work at all). Or so we were told by the doctors at the time. Obviously, this is a general rule of thumb, and you always need to speak to your consultant.

Just to be clear, they didn't do it in that clinic.

New Home wrote: »
    Some relatives of mine have, on their knees, with great results, but your carthilage needs to be at the right level of degeneration, so to speak. When the damage is still relatively minimal, then injections of hyaluronic acid may prove beneficial. When the damage has progressed more but there's still carthilage present, then the stem cell treatment with cells taken from the fat from your abdomen works best. But if the damage is beyond that, then a knee replacement is your only option (as in, the first two wouldn't work at all). Or so we were told by the doctors at the time. Obviously, this is a general rule of thumb, and you always need to speak to your consultant.

Just to be clear, they didn't do it in that clinic.

Thanks for reply.

Where was this clinic if you don't mind me asking?

Prices?

When? Reason I ask this is because clinic I linked, going by testimonials, will proceed even if you are bone on bone.

Did your relatives have follow up MRI, what did it show? Regrowth?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

New Home, is that Synvisc? Am wondering if that is what my Sports Med Doc suggested (since I am not thrilled about knee replacement).
    My insurance didnae cover it, but my knee is bone-on-bone and oh what screaming pain it can cause!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Intra-articular steroid injections have made a huge and lasting difference to my AC joint arthritis.
    Life changing in that it restored my mobility and had the added benefit of mixing my fairly severe Hayfever as a bonus :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sorry folks, I don't know what the procedure was called, except that it was stem-cell based - they'd take some fatty deposits from your belly (like for a liposuction), extract stem cells from there, and inject them in the knee joint. They did it abroad through the hospitals, I'm not sure of the waiting lists or the costs (I don't think they were prohibitive) but I could find out. I was told it's wasn't painful (as in, not pain-free, but completely tolerable) and the rest period was abdolutely minimal (IIRC, a day, perhaps?).

Oh, and they did it in the last couple of years, not that long ago at all.

Also, they were told that this specific technique wouldn't work on bone-on-bone, I think it was something along the line of "the stem cells have nothing to "copy"" (obviously it's not the technical explanation, this is me summarising). The effects were noticeable pretty quickly, too. I can't remember what scans they did before/after, I think those may have worked out more expensive than the procedure itself because they probably did them privately because of the waiting lists. Again, I can find out, if you want.

Find out everything plz!

Might take me a few days, but will do. :)

A Judge Rules Against One Stem-Cell Clinic. There Are Hundreds of Them.

One of those Companies seem to have an army of trolls on every site going totting how good these procedures are...

Stem Cell Company Persuades Employers To Steer Workers Toward Controversial Therapy

US healthcare really is a sh1tshow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

I would recommend the Original Cod Liver Oil taken as per the instructions on the bottle, first thing in the morning before any food. I cycle and walk a lot which helps a lot, but the important thing is to exercise any joints which are showing signs of stiffening up.

It is no exaggeration to say I reversed the onset of arthritis and rheumatism some twenty years ago by taking Cod liver oil and then following it up by mainly cycling. The stuff works.

railer201 wrote: »
    I would recommend the Original Cod Liver Oil taken as per the instructions on the bottle, first thing in the morning before any food. I cycle and walk a lot which helps a lot, but the important thing is to exercise any joints which are showing signs of stiffening up.

It is no exaggeration to say I reversed the onset of arthritis and rheumatism some twenty years ago by taking Cod liver oil and then following it up by mainly cycling. The stuff works.

I've been taking daily cod liver oil for over thirty years and, along with daily 5km+ walks, I attribute by lack of any joint issues, at 76, to it. That said, I've no idea if I would have been the same without the cod liver oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,915 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was chatting to someone recently whose aunt and uncle spend the winter in the Canaries.

They say their arthritis reduces to very low levels when they are there, and gets worse when they come back to Ireland.

Our wet and damp weather definitely plays a part in making it worse. But not many can spend the winter in the sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

I've been taking daily cod liver oil for over thirty years and, along with daily 5km+ walks, I attribute by lack of any joint issues, at 76, to it. That said, I've no idea if I would have been the same without the cod liver oil.

Is it too late to start in ones 40s?

How did you manage to balance a career + 5km daily walks?

Asitis2019 wrote: »

I started taking it around that age. I was starting to get rheumatism in an ankle and a shoulder due to previous injuries. I could tell when we were going to get rain for instance, the pain would start up. Shortly after taking the bottled cod liver oil, the rheumatics ceased.

I followed up some years later with regular exercise, mostly cycling and to date have had no recurrence of the rheumatism. I also suffered from stiff joints and couldn't walk down the stairs without holding on to the bannister - that's all gone now too.

A 5km walk should only take an hour, after a while you won't even think about it. I'm in my early 70's btw.

Asitis2019 wrote: »

I started in my 40s. A 5 km walk was short in those days, as it was our daily evening routine to unwind and give the dog a walk. I retired at 54 , 22 years ago so no interference with career since then nor before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

What cod liver oil are you taking folks?

I thought it was full of dioxins and PCBs since it was from a liver?

FFVII wrote: »

I use Holland & Barrett's own brand. Haven't killed me yet.

FFVII wrote: »

Seven Seas Original with Omega 3 - 450 ml bottle - bought in Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

Wd40 !

Advertisement