Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Out with Archery

• 01-06-2019 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've always had an interest in taking up archery. I went to Trabolgan today with my family. We did some archery, and my son (8) and I really enjoyed it. We were fairly good shots. We got a few centre circles between us. Not bad for beginners.

What would be a nice starter bow to get to use at home, out the back, and where would I get one? I've looked online and the cheapest bow I've seen is about €200. Would I get one for under €100 somewhere?

Any more advice is welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nessel

I'd personally recommend finding a nearby club you can join or have a beginners course at. They'll let you use their bows for a little while and will teach you a lot about safety which is quite important. And who knows, it might be a great club to stay in too. They could give you recommendations on what bow to get after shooting a little while as well.

I'm weary about buying bows online myself as I'd always want to test them and if you're going to a good shop they will help you out as well to make sure the bow is a good fit so to say. Just my two cents is all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

You know that thing you plan on doing.. dont do that.

Do a beginners course at a local archery club and get a much better idea of what type of bow etc to buy from that course.

Where abouts (ballpark) do you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sebastian.plum

Hello
    It is a very good idea to visit the archery club.
    But if you do not want or you can not, waiting for you to "discovering the wheel anew" because what the trainer will teach you in a few hours you will be able to discover yourself by trial and error after many training sesion.
    You can buy cheap and good bow in Eastern Europe, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary and many more, but still the price will not be lower than 100 € per set.
    I have 3/4 of my collection of bows for sale, but these are not bows for beginners.
    For exemple www .facebook.com/sebastian.plum.52/posts/2158949750817254
    or www .facebook.com/sebastian.plum.52/posts/2173847582660804

I wish you good luck and a lot of fun with archery
    Cheers!
    Sebastian

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mjcb

As above, the best advice is to do a beginners course at your local club. Failing that Decathalon do good deals online, I have shot some of their recurve bows, priced about €70 & seem OK to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

mjcb wrote: »
    As above, the best advice is to do a beginners course at your local club. Failing that Decathalon do good deals online, I have shot some of their recurve bows, priced about €70 & seem OK to me.

If you are literally just doing it to shoot at a few targets in your back garden and not compete in competitions then this is the way to go.

If competitive archery is what you want then you will have to join a club, otherwise you will never learn the basics properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Rolan bows are also in this price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Prouser

you should try Samick sage its best for beginners

Advertisement