Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lotro

• 20-01-2014 12:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40

Anyone in Ireland play lotro?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I used to play it a lot when first released.
    Pretty good mmo,i know some guys from here on boards who atleast used to play it a lot and done a lot of endgame stuff,havent seen anything about it recently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I play occasionally but tbh I haven't played it in a few weeks now, before xmas. It's a good game but going over the same endgame stuff can wear you down.

/edit
    And I am not paying for any more updates to this game, so will not get to play the newest content until they have it payable with in game gold (which I get 500 of for free every month)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 froggus

Yep, still playing every few days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

I play too the odd time - I have to say it's extremely immersive. I think I'm on Evernight.

Not a bad game, the character creation needs an overall though its very outdated and the characters actually lack character.

• Advertisement

Not a bad game, the character creation needs an overall though its very outdated and the characters actually lack character.

It is quite outdated, but I keep going back to it because it's (understandably) a lot more immersive than other RPGs. I guess having Tolkien's works behind the game-world helps.

It would be interesting to see it with better graphics, but I don't know if they would invest in a total graphics make-over (like they kinda did with Runescape).

Not sure what mechanics or effort are involved in that type of process.

I dont think it neends a complete Make-over. I think it looks great. Its simply the characters lacking character (except Dwarves) I have played Human and elf, i keep running into NPC's who look alot better. All the elves look the same. the humans look like the had their head stuck in a vacuum.

Beorn dont look too bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Haven't played in awhile but I am on it. Ended up on an NA server by accident due to my VPN back when I started out, so haven't been motivated in ages since all the latest stuff is heavy group content. Having warmounts shoved down my throat in later Ronan was also off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Used to play it a lot but now the National Broadband Scheme has ended so we just don't have the Internet to do so... plus, directx wouldn't install on my laptop for some reason so I can't click on anything without it shutting down. As a LOTR fan though, I was impressed by the details in it. Otherwise, for a free MMORPG, it's not bad.

I find it hard to motivate myself to play. It started when I got a subscription - felt like I had to play because I was paying. I love the world, love the lore, enjoyed some of the events but sadly I find the combat a bit lacking. Invested a fair bit into expansions however, so I think I'll give it another go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Started downloading this today as something new to play because it's free and saw there's like 3 expansions at like 20 quid each and quickly cancelled. Doesn't seem very friendly to get people in to.

Started downloading this today as something new to play because it's free and saw there's like 3 expansions at like 20 quid each and quickly cancelled. Doesn't seem very friendly to get people in to.

The free part of the game is still huge and very much playable without the expansions.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Natonstan

I recently re-downloaded LoTRO, there's surprisingly quite a few people still on there and like already mentioned the actual world and lore is incredible in this game but the combat is definitely lacking, but still for people into LoTR, and Roleplaying in general this is a solid MMORPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

I played it only recently and stopped because if graphics issues and desktop crashes. Plus EU tagged server's are based in the east coast but agreed plenty of things to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I still log in an odd time. Playing on Laurelin. Purchased a lifetime sub when the game was released so can log in whenever. Still a decent game for roleplaying and immersiveness. It made a promising start as an MMO and was very good up to and including the Moria release. They dropped the ball after that. Continuous neglect of pvp and releasing less end game content of less quality would always end up one way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

I still log in an odd time. Playing on Laurelin. Purchased a lifetime sub when the game was released so can log in whenever. Still a decent game for roleplaying and immersiveness. It made a promising start as an MMO and was very good up to and including the Moria release. They dropped the ball after that. Continuous neglect of pvp and releasing less end game content of less quality would always end up one way.
    Remember the life sub when i played on beta. Big mistake on there part if you ask me. Turbine have gone now and SSG have taken over not that it really matters anymore i expect.

I just started back a month ago for the Mordor expansion. Mordor is nicely designed and there is actually a degree of difficulty now in taking on mobs. Raid coming next month I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 raddude9

I've been playing LOTRO for years now, I always dip back in when they release some new content.

Rumoured to be another level cap increase in the next update.

I managed to battle my way to Rivendell, despite being way too under powered, through brute stubbornness. I hit a save point and kept getting killed within a few hundred metres on my way back so I never went back to it. Strongly considering re-downloading it.

• Advertisement

It's a very casual game. I have a lifetime sub since the game came out so don't know what it's like for players starting new. I just love the rp side of it.

Advertisement