Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R 5k TT 25th April ‘20.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I stated a looped route for fairness, I could run a point to point or out and back route here but I know it wouldn’t be fair due to the flatness of the route I chose or what way the wind is blowing. Looped route or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

OOnegative wrote: »
    I stated a looped route for fairness, I could run a point to point or out and back route here but I know it wouldn’t be fair due to the flatness of the route I chose or what way the wind is blowing. Looped route or nothing.

Folks, less is more here. Let's not complicate things. Out and back has to work FFS as that means no advantage in altitude or wind! Point to point, a la Boston Marathon, no for both the above reasons. I'm with Sussex on this.

Keep it simple for now. Have a bit of fun. If later we want to go all fancy and have relays and contributions....... let's see.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SuspectZero

Looks like yourself and Johnny volunteered to take this over!! I got the idea off the ground and to make myself sound completely thick I haven’t a clue what either of ye are talking about so I ain’t getting involved in something I do not understand.

I don't mind what ye do tbh, was just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Ah sure ill join in, bit of craic and something to do. We might be doing laps of our back garden when this comes around!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭justdoit

I'd like to have a crack if this goes ahead. I'd ambitiously aim for 19m20s. I'm 39...

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »
    Folks, less is more here. Let's not complicate things. Out and back has to work FFS as that means no advantage in altitude or wind! Point to point, a la Boston Marathon, no for both the above reasons. I'm with Sussex on this.

Keep it simple for now. Have a bit of fun. If later we want to go all fancy and have relays and contributions....... let's see.

Says the cranky Cork man who’s admitted his track of choice gives glitchy GPS readings!! I’m all for keeping it simple, break into age categories as you said minus age grading calculators etc. But I’ll stand by my point that a looped route is fairest.

This is what i have so far:

MEN:

U-12

KSU

35-39

Dudda
    justdoit
    healy1835
    djemba djemba

40-44

OOnegative
    Sussex18
    shotgunmcos
    ComicBookGuy

45-49

snailsong???

50-54

Itziger
    skyblue46

55-59

Murph_D

WOMEN:

40-44

Laineyfrecks

45-49

YoungAnne

Ladies come join the party!!

average_runner, Damo2k9 i don't have your age category.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

39 years young :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    For some reason 00neg chose the track and field version of the spreadsheet which is based on the 5,000m rather than a road 5k. Just to complicate the handicap system even more! :pac::p

Jaysis I try to do something to help relief the boredom about the place and all I’ve gotten is abuse and contrariness!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry B, I already deleted my unhelpful contribution! Apologies.

• Advertisement

Sorry B, I already deleted my unhelpful contribution! Apologies.

I’m only messing D, made of tougher stuff than that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

If the airport closes I'll have a bash at 20 minutes...50-54

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I've never raced a 5k so might as well give this a go with all the race cancellations going around.

Every elite diamond league meet has a few back markers to make up the numbers so I'm ready to fill the roll of cannon fodder!

Thanks for organising it B!

I've never raced a 5k so might as well give this a go with all the race cancellations going around.

Every elite diamond league meet has a few back markers to make up the numbers so I'm ready to fill the roll of cannon fodder!

Thanks for organising it B!

Age category J, Roscommoners are like the Kenyan’s, cannot give an honest DOB!! We played an county U-16 challenge against them one year and lad I was marking had a fully grown beard and had two teenage sons cheering him on from the sidelines!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Count me in!

Age category 40 - 44

Cheers B!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Good stuff. Something to aim for. I am in. 35-39 age group. Fair play oonegative

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Age category J, Roscommoners are like the Kenyan’s, cannot give an honest DOB!! We played an county U-16 challenge against them one year and lad I was marking had a fully grown beard and had two teenage sons cheering him on from the sidelines!!!

Ya are long enough carrying that sense of loss about being born on the wrong side of the shannon, just let it go!
    Same age category as yourself B.

Ya are long enough carrying that sense of loss about being born on the wrong side of the shannon, just let it go!
    Same age category as yourself B.

We’ll always have ‘04!!!

I'll represent the M55 category. Thanks for putting it together, B!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Very few females
    I’ll stick my unfit name in the hat.
    Not sure I’ll be able to get a looped loop but will do my best.
    Prediction 26.30
    Age 48

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    Very few females
    I’ll stick my unfit name in the hat.
    Not sure I’ll be able to get a looped loop but will do my best.
    Prediction 26.30
    Age 48

It doesn't have to be a single loop I think. If you do your local Parkrun course even if it's 2/3/4 laps I'm sure B will be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be a single loop I think. If you do your local Parkrun course even if it's 2/3/4 laps I'm sure B will be happy with that.

It will depend on what’s deem essential travel by that time. My local parkrun is 20km away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

This is what i have so far:

MEN:

U-12

KSU

35-39

Dudda
    justdoit
    healy1835
    djemba djemba

40-44

OOnegative
    Sussex18
    shotgunmcos
    ComicBookGuy

45-49

snailsong???

50-54

Itziger
    skyblue46

55-59

Murph_D

WOMEN:

40-44

Laineyfrecks

45-49

YoungAnne

Ladies come join the party!!

average_runner, Damo2k9 i don't have your age category.

Sadly no longer in the 45-59. If you were paying attention to Strava you'd see I recently celebrated the half century with a half marathon.

Will have a go at 20min. Can do it on a good day but not every day is good nowadays.
    I recently set up a course for a 5k in May which may not now take place. It's kinda out and back with a loop in the middle. Starts and finishes in the same place. Would love to use that if nobody objects.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Sounds like a bit of craic....might as well. Give it a go! Prediction 20mins 30; Age cat 35 - 39

Unsurprisingly B I am a bit confused! :pac: What has been the end result of today's posts. Are we looking at a once off age grade race or a TT to decide on handicaps for a future virtual race which will be a handicap affair?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

snailsong wrote: »
    Sadly no longer in the 45-59. If you were paying attention to Strava you'd see I recently celebrated the half century with a half marathon.

Will have a go at 20min. Can do it on a good day but not every day is good nowadays.
    I recently set up a course for a 5k in May which may not now take place. It's kinda out and back with a loop in the middle. Starts and finishes in the same place. Would love to use that if nobody objects.

That’s a bit of extreme ageing :eek: (as a fellow celebrant)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Sounds fun. My Parkrun PB is 24.10, so would be good to see can I dip under the 24 minute mark. Age cat is 30-34M

Unsurprisingly B I am a bit confused! :pac: What has been the end result of today's posts. Are we looking at a once off age grade race or a TT to decide on handicaps for a future virtual race which will be a handicap affair?

It’s age-graded using the calculator in first post. Sure no reason why the ungraded results couldn’t be used to handicap the next event. ;)

It’s age-graded using the calculator in first post. Sure no reason why the ungraded results couldn’t be used to handicap the next event. ;)

D, could you look at that calculator? To me it doesn't allow for M and F times to be compared. There isn't enough change in adjusted times when you change the setting from M to F....

• Advertisement

D, could you look at that calculator? To me it doesn't allow for M and F times to be compared. There isn't enough change in adjusted times when you change the setting from M to F....

Well it’s based on age category WRs for each category so I’m not arguing with it! Sure it’s just a bit of fun. There are a few versions of this kind of calculator and this is the one the organiser chose. ;)

Advertisement