Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running, Corona Virus and Social Distancing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance as I've been deliberately minimising the amount of news I watch, but what conference are you referring to?

Harris and company earlier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Dog walkers in general have gone to pot in the last week.
    Vast majority are quiet dogs and you'd sense it from a distance but it's as if they've collectively decided, **** it can't be arsed. Plus the amount of dog sh*t has increased a lot.

Anyone else mulling over the inevitable cancellation of all 2020 marathons now after todays conference?
    It looks like all events over a hundred people are off the table for 2020.

Virtual marathons on a given date and time?
    26.2 and a minimum elevation to stop flat track heros?
    Will be a nice way to monitor fitness and ensure milage stays honest.

I've a treadmill that's compatible with Google maps and streetview. I have the full Dublin Marathon route programmed into it, the treadmill will follow the route and incline and decline as it goes through the route which I can see on the screen.(my treadmill will go to -3 decline and + 15% incline). I plan on doing it some day for the craic if the real one is cancelled.
    Of course I won't count it as a PB if I get it though ...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance as I've been deliberately minimising the amount of news I watch, but what conference are you referring to?

Press conference!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Casey78 wrote: »
    I've a treadmill that's compatible with Google maps and streetview. I have the full Dublin Marathon route programmed into it, the treadmill will follow the route and incline and decline as it goes through the route which I can see on the screen.(my treadmill will go to -3 decline and + 15% incline). I plan on doing it some day for the craic if the real one is cancelled.

Are you not worried about running out of extension cord?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Hurrache wrote: »

Or that dancing priest doesn't jump out & try & steal the limelight again.

• Advertisement

Be grand, I'm a Electrician sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,579 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Is the London Marathon penciled in for October?

Surely that gets cancelled...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

walshb wrote: »
    Is the London Marathon penciled in for October?

Surely that gets cancelled...

Almost certainly.

Which reminds me that they were meant to be releasing some further details at the end of last week, but I never saw any new details out. Got the impression from earlier messages from them that it would be more details on deferrals and entries for 2021 qualification times.

There is no urgency for them to cancel October yet though and it would probably be done simultaneously with the rest of the WMM series and a write off of the whole lot of them.

I'd still be dubious about London 2021 even happening and Dublin 2021 might be my next after this years entry gets bounced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Trampas

Let the comments commence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

A good example of how not to run last night, walking across the east link bridge and girl running behind me and shouts 'coming through' and brushes past me on the inside.. now I get that you may not want to run on that particular part of the road, but this is not the solution!

Incidents like this is what gets peoples backs up. It was followed by similar a couple of streets ahead where a guy practically shoulder barged me on a narrow strip of road (we were both on the road).

Lots of small incidents like this piss people off and contribute the homogenisation of runners as a 'bunch of ar3eholes'.

• Advertisement

Trampas wrote: »
    Let the comments commence

Opening paragraph - didnt read the rest - "Walkers need to back up a little and take responsibility..'

We all do! That's the point!

Walkers, Runners, Cyclists, Drivers - doesn't matter a sh!te - if you are outside, pay attention and be grateful you are able to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

What model please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

kenmm wrote: »
    A good example of how not to run last night, walking across the east link bridge and girl running behind me and shouts 'coming through' and brushes past me on the inside.. now I get that you may not want to run on that particular part of the road, but this is not the solution!

Incidents like this is what gets peoples backs up. It was followed by similar a couple of streets ahead where a guy practically shoulder barged me on a narrow strip of road (we were both on the road).

Lots of small incidents like this piss people off and contribute the homogenisation of runners as a 'bunch of ar3eholes'.

I live nearby and used to always run across the East Link, but I've not run across it in weeks for this reason - it's just too narrow to give people 2m space while not getting hit by cars.

There are heaps of nice runs in my neighbourhood I've not been doing, because of narrow bits, but favouring instead the big roads with wide footpaths. Every runner who has any cop-on is doing the same I'm sure, but there will always be a few eejits.

Rodin wrote: »
    What model please?

It's a Proform Pro 1500. Bought it from gymgear.ie
    I use my ipad for the screen as it comes with a tablet holder, the treadmill is a smart treadmill so can be controlled by the tablet ie Google map routes and customised workouts.

I use my ipad for the screen as it comes with a tablet holder, the treadmill is a smart treadmill so can be controlled by the tablet ie Google map routes and customised workouts.

Jaysus I already have one.
    I got a great deal on a new one.
    Didn't know I could use it with googlemaps.

Thought I could only use their ifit app.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Is that using the iFit subscription, or by some other hack?

quaalude wrote: »
    I live nearby and used to always run across the East Link, but I've not run across it in weeks for this reason - it's just too narrow to give people 2m space while not getting hit by cars.

There are heaps of nice runs in my neighbourhood I've not been doing, because of narrow bits, but favouring instead the big roads with wide footpaths. Every runner who has any cop-on is doing the same I'm sure, but there will always be a few eejits.

Its actually easy enough at the moment as there is very little/feck all traffic at all. You just need to either stop and wait, cross the road, or carefully run on the road.

Jaysus I already have one.
    I got a great deal on a new one.
    Didn't know I could use it with googlemaps.

Thought I could only use their ifit app.

It is ifit, I got a free year membership.
    Though its pretty cheap anyway so I think I will continue it when it's up. I don't use any of their built in trainer workouts with ifit but I love the fact I can put any route into google maps(via ifit) and also create my own custom workouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭plodder

kenmm wrote: »
    Nobody should be brushing past anyone else in the present climate. So, the runner was totally out of order there imo. But, were you walking in the middle of the path? There should be enough space for two people to pass without brushing shoulders. If you kept to the left then maybe she could have passed by stepping onto the road momentarily and still have kept a reasonable distance. I still believe that the onus is mostly on runners to make the space because they are moving faster though.

plodder wrote: »
    Nobody should be brushing past anyone else in the present climate. So, the runner was totally out of order there imo. But, were you walking in the middle of the path? There should be enough space for two people to pass without brushing shoulders. If you kept to the left then maybe she could have passed by stepping onto the road momentarily and still have kept a reasonable distance. I still believe that the onus is mostly on runners to make the space because they are moving faster though.

Onus completely on runners when all is considered...

• Advertisement

No space, waiting singe file as we were approaching someone else - the bridge has a very narrow path. Yes - in this case runner at fault - accidents happen of course, but to shout "coming through" and barge right on through in this climate.. I think that's what annoyed me a bit. If I am running, cycling I take all precautions I can not to sneak up or startle or annoy someone else.. its tense enough out there!

It is ifit, I got a free year membership.
    Though its pretty cheap anyway so I think I will continue it when it's up. I don't use any of their built in trainer workouts with ifit but I love the fact I can put any route into google maps(via ifit) and also create my own custom workouts.

You have to enter the route manually on google maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭plodder

I think you have to look at different situations differently. Eg, if there is a group of walkers (or runners for that matter), there can be a tendency for the group to bully individuals (runners or walkers -- see what I'm doing) out of their way. That shouldn't happen.

Or take a look at narrow-ish paths like the East-link. When two people encounter each other walking or running from opposite directions, they naturally move to the sides. Maybe it's reasonable to expect the runner to step onto the road from the point of view that they are going faster and should be looking further ahead, but I'm just saying that there are obligations on everyone to facilitate other people, eg walkers keeping to one side of the path.

plodder wrote: »
    I'm just saying that there are obligations on everyone to facilitate other people, eg walkers keeping to one side of the path.

Big time - everyone needs to look out - I was only offended in particular because it was a big "Out the way I am coming through" warning - and to hell with anyone in the way!

That's why I started this with "How not to run"..

Interesting tho - someone mentioned its a bit like what happens to cyclists vs drivers.. same doesn't seem to be happening with walkers vs runners - now that being close to each other is a problem.

Truth is - its all shared space and doesn't matter how you get around, respect and viewing each situation on its own merits is the only way.

You have to enter the route manually on google maps?

Yeah. I do it on a laptop. Its easy enough just click on points on the map.
    What are you looking for?
    I have the Dublin Marathon route if you want it I could figure out how to send it as a link. Right now I have it split up into 5 mile sections but am planning on doing it in one full section for when/if I decide to run the whole thing in one go.
    There are all the major Marathons already in the ifit app.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Nope. I live surrounded by country lanes. I've lost count of the amount of people I meet walking in groups (who I've never met before on these roads) who will continue to spread across the road and refuse to single up when they meet people. One recent bunch of idiots were out with their kids and spread right across the road, had a long view of me approaching from the other direction, and done **** all.

The problem is assholes, just assholes. Not a homoegenous bunch doing a particular activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

nope, onus is on everyone to be aware and make room for each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Trampas

Even before all this I’d come across the 3-4 a breast walkers on a path that wouldn’t be much wider than them. They’d refuse to make a gap for you.

I do hate the dog on lead when walking away from you or off lead running around. I’ve had it where someone entered a park and without looking just released the dog. Seconds later I’m leaping over the dog. Told him dog should be on lead which he told me he can let the dog off a lead at this time.

I’ve even have 2 horses walking away from me side by side with nowhere for anyone to go. No looking over their shoulders regularly to see if anyone coming. It would be a popular spot for runners but outside my 2km limit

Nope. I live surrounded by country lanes. I've lost count of the amount of people I meet walking in groups (who I've never met before on these roads) who will continue to spread across the road and refuse to single up when they meet people. One recent bunch of idiots were out with their kids and spread right across the road, had a long view of me approaching from the other direction, and done **** all.

The problem is assholes, just assholes. Not a homoegenous bunch doing a particular activity.

I would previously have coughed or found noisier gravel parts of the path or puddles to splash through noisily when going along trails to more gently warn groups of my approach. Saying anything out loud always makes them jump.

I've had to take coughing out of my repertoire of noises now though as that would probably make them jump even more these days. Might have to work on loud farts on demand instead, but that's always a risky move.

• Advertisement

IvoryTower wrote: »
    nope, onus is on everyone to be aware and make room for each other.

I said when all things considered....

Runners need to mostly be aware to be able to move, alter their path, speed etc...

Walker walking his/her line and runner running his/her line......

Runner needs to alter his/her line to avoid collision....if lines are going to meet. That's just me when I am running

basic stuff.

Advertisement