Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

There's a lot less caffeine in espresso than percolated coffee so four shots may not even exceed the caffeine in a standard Grande house coffee. I think there's a common misconception regarding getting your caffeine fix and espressos. Here's Starbucks by way of example.

Grande americano w/extra shot 300mg
    Grande brewed 330mg

http://www.energyfiend.com/2007/10/the-complete-guide-to-starbucks-caffeine

Thank God! i thought i'd become immune!
    To go back to films, I'm going to "watchmen" tomorrow night.

Anyone seen it, and if so is it any good?

saw it a few weeks back, i really liked it. its a bit slow to get going and you have to pay attention but i thought it was great.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bally8 wrote: »
    I need a kick up the arse. :)
    *delivers kick up the arse*
    71226288_4bed47b736.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

*delivers kick up the arse*
    71226288_4bed47b736.jpg

Ha ha I forgot you were the queen of ass kicking! Thanks for making me laugh out loud at work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I've seen it twice, its well worth going to. I'd be a big Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons fan, and the book is the better original, the film almost pays it too much homage by nearly going frame-by-frame. Great montage of the start of the masked adventurers from the 50's to the 80's at the beginning.

Its very long though, and I found it longer second time round. Having said that I'll be first in line for the extended DVD when it comes out!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

I'd be of similar opinion to dp. Would be curious to have seen it with no historical baggage (been waiting for it for 20 years). I possibly enjoyed 300 more, maybe as I've never read the comic ( I mean Graphic Novel).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Went to Cardiff on Saturday via Birmingham and Barry Town, 5 lads, 1 ticket, took about 60mins to obtain the missing links and 17 points, 15 pints and 1 Grand Slam later my track session tonight nearly killed me - almost kept it non running ;)

Yorkie. It's very definitely for girls. :pac:

I think I just undid any benefits I got from my run today.

My two Pavement reissues arrived today, Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain & Brighten the Corners. Class :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

i think frank sinatra is so overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Yesterday I booked my tickets for Saint Etienne at Cork opera house, their only Irish gig. Either a coup for Cork or the sign of a band on the slide. I'm going with the former though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Saw Watchmen. Didn't think it was that good. Loved all the blood though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

I have to work Saturday :mad:

BTW Watchmen did not live up to expectations. Way too long. Directed well in parts but the sex scene was just random softcore and the gore OTT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I saw slumdog last night and its a good film but the highlight was def the lead actress ;)

Yeah, Freida Pinto's rather good-looking :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

On the subject of Slumdog - anyone read Q & A? Been meaning to pick it up for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

i just got a cheque from revenue for tax relief i havent claimed in a few years and this has finally piad off my new tri bike. Whoop!!

On the cinema front here's a tip - If any of you go to cineworld often on Parnell St get an unlimited voucher from cineworld.co.uk where it costs £11.99 per month (£143.88 for the year) rather than €19.99 (€239.88 for the year)from the irish con-artists. On todays rate its a €85.81 saving over the year! I got the other half and I one as her Xmas pressie and its getting plenty of use!

Happy kirby is happy. Just found out that 2 of my favourite bands (Dream Theater and Opeth) are touring together this autumn.

*\o/*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Bambaata wrote: »
    i just got a cheque from revenue for tax relief i havent claimed in a few years and this has finally piad off my new tri bike. Whoop!!
    !

Sweet!

Hmmm.. I'ver never made a claim for tax... I'll have to check this out :confused:

*looks up revenue.ie with hope*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

On the subject of Slumdog - anyone read Q & A? Been meaning to pick it up for a while.

Read the book over 2 years ago, very good read, not too taxing and each chapter is based around a question in some ways it like mini short stories with a common theme running - I haven't seem Slumdog millionaire but I remember reading it and thinking this would make a good film

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

MCOS wrote: »
    Sweet!

Hmmm.. I'ver never made a claim for tax... I'll have to check this out :confused:

*looks up revenue.ie with hope*

Ring the tax office - request your P21. this is a statement of tax. You can claim for 2007 back to around 2005.
    Fill in a form for rent relief - http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it1.html#section6
    Post this to the tax office and they will make all the adjustments needed and make sure that you do this for the previous address you were renting at as well - you should get a refund for tax paid last year.

• Advertisement

Total let down. The trailers looked so good! Was really really disappointed!! :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Happy kirby is happy. Just found out that 2 of my favourite bands (Dream Theater and Opeth) are touring together this autumn.

*\o/*

Who?

Sorted my flights for the Heineken Cup Final last night :) woo hoo! :D

I reckon after Saturday's Grand Slam Munster will be up for doing the double with the HC and Magners League. Have my tickets for the final booked since before Christmas, accommodation is booked since then too. Had my flights book but had to change them to accommodate my sister who is now going to accompany me to Edinburgh for all the madness that is HC Final Weekend........

Oh the memories of last years final ..... :D:D:D

Off to Glasgow for the weekend, any recommendations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Peckham

Off to Glasgow for the weekend, any recommendations ?

Get on a train to Edinburgh! ;)

Peckham wrote: »
    Get on a train to Edinburgh! ;)

And you could see that coming all the way from Edinburgh too I'd say. Ah, been to Edinburgh, I want to scoff and say, Edingburgh ? och you want to get yourself dune the road to Glasgow.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Ring the tax office - request your P21. this is a statement of tax. You can claim for 2007 back to around 2005.
    Fill in a form for rent relief - http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it1.html#section6
    Post this to the tax office and they will make all the adjustments needed and make sure that you do this for the previous address you were renting at as well - you should get a refund for tax paid last year.

or get with the program and do it all online!:pac:

You can claim all your reliefs back 4 years online now including medical etc
    and they'll stick the money in your bank account for you.

copacetic wrote: »
    or get with the program and do it all online!:pac:

You can claim all your reliefs back 4 years online now including medical etc
    and they'll stick the money in your bank account for you.

:P They for some reason had never set me up online (never got pin codes and stuff when I requested them) So i just filled in the forms and sent them off. They still looked after it all really quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

:P They for some reason had never set me up online (never got pin codes and stuff when I requested them) So i just filled in the forms and sent them off. They still looked after it all really quickly

Try requesting them again... Online is by far the handiest. Should be some more credits and stuff being added to the online version soon, it's due an update sometime soon - originally for end of April, but afaik it's delayed. They're very helpful over the phone too in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Sorted my flights for the Heineken Cup Final last night :) woo hoo! :D

If you like, I can lend you my Leinster jersey so that you fit in with the rest of the crowd. ;)

Advertisement