Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Television Show/Seó teilifíe

• 11-09-2008 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Aon duine i gcontae Dhún na nGall, contae na Mí nó Áth Luain le Gaeilge? Tá Abú Media ag cuartú gals agus guys idir an aois ghrúpa 24 agus 32 chun páirt a ghlacadh i seó nua teilifíse. Píosa spraoi a bheadh ann agus bheadh sibh íocaithe chomh maith. Ní mór díobh Gaeilge réasúnta maith a bheith agat agus do theach féin a bheith ar chíos agat nó ag roinnt tí le daoine eile i dteach atá ar chíos. Má tá suim ag aon duine, déan teangmháil le Abú Media: cupid@abumedia.com Tá suíomh Bebo againn freisin! :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

I know the following is just being cranky but that is my username...

I posted recently in another thread in defence of the makey uppy Irish word baighsicil. But you can't really be serious with seó can you? Has the cultural imperialism really got to the point where not only are we using American words in preference to established English ones, we're actually gaelicising them so that we can use them in Irish too!?! What's wrong with clár?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Tá sé suarach a bheith ag cáineadh Gaeilge duine eile trí mheán an Bhéarla. Is go bhfuil impiriúlachas cultúrtha imithe i bhfeidhm ortsa i bhfad níos mó.

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    Tá sé suarach a bheith ag cáineadh Gaeilge duine eile trí mheán an Bhéarla. Is go bhfuil impiriúlachas cultúrtha imithe i bhfeidhm ortsa i bhfad níos mó.

This is a bilingual forum and it is common for posts to alternate between English and Irish - sometimes within the same post. I wrote in English because I have only recently started re-learning Irish and although my comprehension is reasonably good, I lack the fluency and time to make my point in Irish. If this doesn't suit you, you might want to check out the Irish only forum on www.daltai.com.

Your point is a glib cheap shot and bordering on snide. We are talking about completely different things. The cultural imperialism to which you are referring (the rise to prominence of the English language and culture in Ireland) was just one small facet of a much larger general imperialism that affected Ireland. People didn't start speaking English just to sound like their favourite character on TV. They started speaking English out of economic and political necessity. And even if, hypothetically, they had chosen to speak English just to sound cool, we are essentially talking about a past event and not an ongoing process. I was born into an English speaking household in an English speaking city. I did not choose to be a béarlóir - it was just what one did.

The cultural imperialism to which I am referring (the rise of American language and culture in the rest of the English speaking world) is entirely different. For one thing, it is not out of economic or political necessity that people born and bred in Ireland talk about stores, malls, television shows, back yards, garbage, etc. For another thing, it is happening right now in our time. It is therefore something that those of us unhappy about the situation can do something about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

cantalach wrote: »
    This is a bilingual forum and it is common for posts to alternate between English and Irish - sometimes within the same post. I wrote in English because I have only recently started re-learning Irish and although my comprehension is reasonably good, I lack the fluency and time to make my point in Irish. If this doesn't suit you, you might want to check out the Irish only forum on www.daltai.com.

There's an all Irish forum on boards.ie. No need to go to daltai.com. See the right-hand side of my sig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

As regards the validity of seó as a Irish loan-word, you should know, cantalach, that it's been around long enough to be an entry in Dinneen's Irish dictionary of 1927 (page 1021) and I wouldn't be surprised to see it in earlier dictionaries of Irish either, though I don't have any earlier than that to hand.

People often make assumptions about the basis of loan words in Irish and how recent they are or where they come from, when sometimes they have been there for centuries in the venacular and sometimes don't even come from English. For instance, people often assume that words in Irish like dainséar, pálás etc. are recent loan words from English, when in fact they came into Irish from Norman-French in the Middle Ages and that in fact English borrowed them from French as well! The same goes for many words in Irish that came from Latin over the centuries; they often appear to be English loan words, since English took vast amounts of its vocabulary from Latin. Ní mar a shíltear a bítear (Things are not always as they seem)

• Advertisement

Múinteoir wrote: »
    As regards the validity of seó as a Irish loan-word, you should know, cantalach, that it's been around long enough to be an entry in Dinneen's Irish dictionary of 1927 (page 1021) and I wouldn't be surprised to see it in earlier dictionaries of Irish either, though I don't have any earlier than that to hand.

People often make assumptions about the basis of loan words in Irish and how recent they are or where they come from, when sometimes they have been there for centuries in the venacular and sometimes don't even come from English. For instance, people often assume that words in Irish like dainséar, pálás etc. are recent loan words from English, when in fact they came into Irish from Norman-French in the Middle Ages and that in fact English borrowed them from French as well! The same goes for many words in Irish that came from Latin over the centuries; they often appear to be English loan words, since English took vast amounts of its vocabulary from Latin. Ní mar a shíltear a bítear (Things are not always as they seem)

Thanks Múinteoir. I have no issue with the word seó in and of itself and I have no objection to loan words in general. As I noted above, I recently posted in defence of baighsicil in another thread. I am bemoaning the fact that, not content to use American expressions only in English, we are taking them across the language barrier into Irish too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

I wrote in English because I have only recently started re-learning Irish and although my comprehension is reasonably good, I lack the fluency and time to make my point in Irish. If this doesn't suit you, you might want to check out the Irish only forum on www.daltai.com.

Your point is a glib cheap shot and bordering on snide. We are talking about completely different things. The cultural imperialism to which you are referring (the rise to prominence of the English language and culture in Ireland) was just one small facet of a much larger general imperialism that affected Ireland. People didn't start speaking English just to sound like their favourite character on TV. They started speaking English out of economic and political necessity. And even if, hypothetically, they had chosen to speak English just to sound cool, we are essentially talking about a past event and not an ongoing process. I was born into an English speaking household in an English speaking city. I did not choose to be a béarlóir - it was just what one did.

The cultural imperialism to which I am referring (the rise of American language and culture in the rest of the English speaking world) is entirely different. For one thing, it is not out of economic or political necessity that people born and bred in Ireland talk about stores, malls, television shows, back yards, garbage, etc. For another thing, it is happening right now in our time. It is therefore something that those of us unhappy about the situation can do something about.

I'm not annoyed that you posted in English, you're entitled to do that here. I'm annoyed that you criticised the Irish of someone else through English. If you had the time to write all this then I'm sure you would have had the time to cobble a couple of sentences together in Irish, as for fluency I'm sure you could of picked up a dictionary. Instead of criticising someone else's Irish, I suggest you work on improving your own - particularly seeing as Múinteoir has shown that you were off the mark anyway.

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    I'm not annoyed that you posted in English, you're entitled to do that here. I'm annoyed that you criticised the Irish of someone else through English. If you had the time to write all this then I'm sure you would have had the time to cobble a couple of sentences together in Irish, as for fluency I'm sure you could of picked up a dictionary. Instead of criticising someone else's Irish, I suggest you work on improving your own - particularly seeing as Múinteoir has shown that you were off the mark anyway.

As I said in my response to Múinteoir, I don't have any objection to the use of seó or any other established loan word per se. I was taking issue with the context; the bizarre practice of translating American phraseology into Irish. Should I be expecting to hear things like "the whole nine yards", "I got to second base" and "soup to nuts" in Irish too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

"I got to second base"

Inis dom níos mo...

Inis dom níos mo...

Sin scéal eile...don tigh tábhairne!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

"soup to nuts"

Pé rud faoi do buanna pearsanta gnéas, Cad is brí le sin?

Cliste wrote: »
    Pé rud faoi do buanna pearsanta gnéas, Cad is brí le sin?

Tá sé cosúil le "one stop shop". Má bhíonn comhlacht ríomhaire in ann réiteach iomlán a chur i láthair deireann siad uaireanta go bhfuil "soup to nuts solution" acu.

Advertisement