Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N2-N3 link road

• 29-10-2008 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Does anyone know what the situation is with the N2-N3 link road? Last I heard (in May), Fingal County Council had approved it and it was going out to tender with a view to starting in September. No sign yet, which is a pity.

It's an important link, which will be able to take traffic from the M50 straight into the east Blanch, Ballycoolin and Tyrellstown areas without having to trawl up the N3 and through Corduff.

From what I've read, it'll go from junction 2 of the N2 to somewhere around Hollystown, diverging into two routes - one to the N3 near Mulhuddart and another to the dual-carriageway near the second phase of Blanchardstown Corporate Park.

It's a great idea that could eventually incorporate another route from junction 2 of the N2 to the airport, giving Blanch (as well as Ashbourne/Ratoath) a direct link to the airport, relieving the M50 of traffic between J6 and J3/4 and making the old N2 (R135) even more redundant (probably for the best, down from 100 to 60km/h limit).

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

No info, but I'm also anxious to see this proceed. Ballycoolin/Damastown traffic could access the area via the N2 instead of the overloaded N3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

I was driving through the M2 Cherryhound Interchange today and noticed that work was well underway on the N2-N3 link towards Blanchardstown - very surprised as there was virtually no talk of it - seriously wasn't expecting to see much there TBH. There's some information (20/07/2011) regarding same on Leo Varadkar's site.

Wonder if anyone can dig out the latest plans for the scheme?

Many Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Really amazed this started back in September 2011 and none of us noticed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Can't find any maps for this, did find an old document from 2007 though:

"N4-N3-N2 Link Route: From the N4 Leixlip Interchange directly north to cross the
    River Liffey east of Leixlip Village, linking to the existing Ongar Road at Hansfield
    west of Blanchardstown, to cross the N3 at an upgraded interchange at
    Castaheany. The section from the N3 to the N2 will pass via Damastown and
    Tyrellstown to the N2 Cherryhound interchange. Various sections of this route
    have received planning approval and are proceeding to construction, while other
    sections, such as the N4 link from Hansfield are at conceptual stage only"

5MB pdf: http://www.nra.ie/Publications/DownloadableDocumentation/PublicPrivatePartnership/file,16142,en.pdf

Extending this to the N4 would be excellent for toll skipping :D

• Advertisement

Cionád wrote: »
    Can't find any maps for this, did find an old document from 2007 though:

"N4-N3-N2 Link Route: From the N4 Leixlip Interchange directly north to cross the
    River Liffey east of Leixlip Village, linking to the existing Ongar Road at Hansfield
    west of Blanchardstown, to cross the N3 at an upgraded interchange at
    Castaheany. The section from the N3 to the N2 will pass via Damastown and
    Tyrellstown to the N2 Cherryhound interchange. Various sections of this route
    have received planning approval and are proceeding to construction, while other
    sections, such as the N4 link from Hansfield are at conceptual stage only"

5MB pdf: http://www.nra.ie/Publications/DownloadableDocumentation/PublicPrivatePartnership/file,16142,en.pdf

Extending this to the N4 would be excellent for toll skipping :D

Don't get your hopes up - I've no doubt that if that bridge is ever built, it will be done so via the PPP mechanism and you know what that means for the motorists using it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I wandered in to some of this work by accident last weekend - was completely unaware of it - it seems a huge project!

You'd imagine with so little going on around the country they'd be giving it some space on the NRA website?

A map? Anything!

Wild Bill wrote: »
    I wandered in to some of this work by accident last weekend - was completely unaware of it - it seems a huge project!

You'd imagine with so little going on around the country they'd be giving it some space on the NRA website?

A map? Anything!

It's nothing to do with the NRA - it's a new Regional Road project by Fingal CC and is likely IMO to be classified as the R121 for now. However, I'm very surprised that there's seemingly nothing about it on Fingal CC's website - even in the Roads section. In fact, it was Leo Varadkers site that tipped me off in the first place before seeking physical evidence at Cherryhound the other day - I seriously did not expect to see much as there wasn't much talk of it. I don't know where I can find a scheme plan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is cherry hound the junction with the big roundabout, near Tyrrelstown? out past the Kilshane cross?

Where does the road finish? is it near the plaza hotel in Tyrrelstown or more east?

To be honest, the roads leading to Kilshane cross are desperate and it was madness this route wasn't built when the N2 DC was built.

Is cherry hound the junction with the big roundabout, near Tyrrelstown? out past the Kilshane cross?

Where does the road finish? is it near the plaza hotel in Tyrrelstown or more east?

To be honest, the roads leading to Kilshane cross are desperate and it was madness this route wasn't built when the N2 DC was built.

The Cherryhound Interchange is Jct 2 on the M2 - there's a very large rotary on the lower level and this is where the road will start - from there, it will proceed Southwest before eventually forking to link up with both the Plaza Hotel in Tyrrelstown and the Corduff Road Dual Carriageway near Ballycoolin. Here's a layout of the Tyrrelstown section from Cllr. Kieran Dennison's (FG) website (20/07/2011) and there's information also posted on the local Community Voice website.

Regards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Is this (roughly) what we're looking at?

195584.jpg

Cionád wrote: »
    Is this (roughly) what we're looking at?

195584.jpg

That would be the basic idea of what's to happen there!

But where is the existing section at Tyrellstown that they are turning into a dual-carriageway? :confused:

(I know this 'cos I saw it!)

The total cost of the project is €24 million but some €15 million will be recovered from levies imposed on land owners and developers.

There are developers with money in Fingal? :eek:
    The Department of Transport has made the €6 million available to Fingal County Council on condition that it’s spent this year. The funding is being diverted from another road project which has stalled. The landowners have already transferred the lands to the council free of charge.

All this from Kieran Dennison's website.

Not only are there developers with €millions still around north of Blanchardstown but there are farmers who donate land for free!

That must be where those rainbows end :cool:

Wild Bill wrote: »
    But where is the existing section at Tyrellstown that they are turning into a dual-carriageway? :confused:

(I know this 'cos I saw it!)

It's the section of R121 to the left of the map - below where the Western fork is shown to tie-in. The estate shown there is part of Tyrellstown while the 'P' symbols mark the locations of both Superquinn and the Plaza Hotel (either side of the R121).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Good to see this needed road project proceeding. What is the spec of this link? DC, 2+2, S2 or S4?

It would make sense for it to be a dual carriageway.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Good to see this needed road project proceeding. What is the spec of this link? DC, 2+2, S2 or S4?

It would make sense for it to be a dual carriageway.

AFAIK, the new roads in question will be of Dual Carriageway standard with at-grade roundabout junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Will this road eventually link up with the outer ring road

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

medoc wrote: »

Overall plan is to, but it'll either be after they get rid of tolls on the M50 or quite likely be tolled itself on that section...

The Lucan section of the ORR is horribly below spec to serve as an outer ring as it stands so they really do need to ensure it wouldn't get used as a toll-dodge route.

medoc wrote: »

It's supposed to - AFAIK the current idea is to build a route linking Clonee (Co Meath) with Weston (near Lucan) and then continue it around by Adamstown so as to link back into the R136 Outer Ring Road. There is a route outline (between Hansfield and Weston) shown on Sheet 13 (PDF File - 12.0MB) of the Fingal Development Plan 2011-2017. Looking in the other direction, the new Fingal Development Plan has made provision for a new road network that would see a series of routes from the East of Cherryhound, around the Airport by St Margarets and on to the North of Swords. Regarding the N2-N3 Link itself, please see Sheet 12 (PDF File - 7.5MB) of the Fingal Development Plan 2011-2017 for an outline of the route.

Regards!

• Advertisement

Google maps shows a bit more road built than OSM
    http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.425747,-6.36147&spn=0.018616,0.045447&t=h&z=15
    at the plaza hotel in Tyrellstown

Was out today

Took a few phone snaps, seems to be slip/freeflow for the left turn movements

the slip from the link road to the M2N

Is there a tidier way to post attachments?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

I could never understand why there was no direct access to M2N from the back of the Blanchardstown Business Parks and you were made to go through that rat run via Kilshane Cross. This is why!! :-)

The 2 main forks of the N2-N3 Link Road are now plotted on OpenStreetMap! The trunk part remains omitted though.

MYOB wrote: »
    The Lucan section of the ORR is horribly below spec to serve as an outer ring as it stands so they really do need to ensure it wouldn't get used as a toll-dodge route.

Indeed.

It was very deliberately reduced in spec (by the anti-roads brigade) to prevent it becoming an alternative to the M50 if I recall.

They wanted it to serve merely as a service road; - they similarly crippled the spec between the N11 (Kingswood) and Tallaght. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

The 2 main forks of the N2-N3 Link Road are now plotted on OpenStreetMap! The trunk part remains omitted though.

Here's a link to a site to show google and OSM (and some other other map sites) side by side:

http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=googlemap&mt1=mapnik&lon=-6.36147&lat=53.425747&zoom=16

Some more images
    first where the new road crosses the L3080 to Finglas from Bay lane on Google maps

Second the opposite direction from same spot; towards M2

Third is the roundabout near the closed down pub whose name escapes me right now ( a womans name)
    A spur goes there.

Last at the end of the road at Tyrellstown

Some more images
    first where the new road crosses the L3080 to Finglas from Bay lane on Google maps

Second the opposite direction from same spot; towards M2

Third is the roundabout near the closed down pub whose name escapes me right now ( a womans name)
    A spur goes there.

Last at the end of the road at Tyrellstown

Great pics mate!

I think the name of the pub was Dolly's - I remember my uncle taking me there.

Dolly Heffernans

in separate news
    There's also work going on on the R135 ( old N2) at Ward cross, I think making it into a Roundabout.

• Advertisement

Photos I took today.

The point where the two forks of the road join as they head north. Facing southwest.
    IMG_1727.jpg

Facing south.
    IMG_1728.jpg

Facing north.
    IMG_1726.jpg

The roundabout at the southeastern end of the scheme. Facing west.
    IMG_1711.jpg

Cherryhound Roundabout facing south.
    IMG_1710.jpg

Tyrellstown Roundabout at the southwestern end of the scheme. Facing north.
    IMG_1708.jpg
    IMG_1707.jpg
    Facing south, this section is being dualled
    IMG_1702.jpg
    IMG_1700.jpg

Advertisement