Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transabled

Comments

• Absolutely not. It's a mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Alien limb syndrome is the common name.

I remembering watching a doc on it years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I’m fluidabled.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

9de.gif

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Problems arise because a doctor would not have the legal right to carry out an amputation on a healthy limb.

What happens then is that they do it themselves. I remember one man on the doc literally sawed his own arm off.

Enablement is not advised in ALS. Instead it's treated through intense therapy and medication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Ipso wrote: »
    I’m fluidabled.

I'm trysexual , I'll try anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

There are broken, malfunctioning people everywhere. Always have been.

The difference now is that they can connect with each other, protected by secrecy via the Internet, and encourage/stimulate/glorify very strange and dangerous ideas.

It's not impossible that right now, or later, this very thread has sparked an idea in some vulnerable person.

The Internet is so useful and valuable, what with the psychos and cat videos and all. Where would we be without it? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Another bunch of fcuking idiots inventing a label.

Youre not "transabled", youre a fcuking attention seeking asshat.

Stop cutting your fcuking legs off ye fcuking flutes!

In extension to the above, I was reading a magazine where it put forward the idea of "digital disease", where the Internet in general can be thought of as a vector for spreading disease (of intangible, damaging thought)

It may become a popular phrase in the near future.

Another bunch of fcuking idiots inventing a label.

Youre not "transabled", youre a fcuking attention seeking asshat.

Stop cutting your fcuking legs off ye fcuking flutes!

No they're genuinely ill. This is a recognised disorder.

It's been documented for centuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The LGBTQTSTAHSHEKDLYJDNETNDSA......... community

Everyone welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

The LGBTQTSTAHSHEKDLYJDNETNDSA......... community

Everyone welcome

That didn't take long for someone to try to connect this story to the LGBT community.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

klaaaz wrote: »
    That didn't take long for someone to try to connect this story to the LGBT community.:mad:

I didn't. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

As someone whose body has already betrayed them (MS) I can't even fake being ok with this.

They have no idea how it feels. They're romanticizing it and wouldn't cope for one day with actual disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

What these people are doing is a slap on the face to anyone who was born disabled or lost a limb during their life.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It's an area that is pretty interesting. I'd imagine study of it can be a sensitive topic, given the likely similarities, mentally speaking, that would cause someone to feel transabled, versus someone to feel transexual. Body dysphoria and the like.

They're not thinking about it rationally.

It's a mental illness which has to be treated not scoffed at.

It would be like giving out to somebody for being depressed or suicidal.

They're not thinking about it rationally.

It's a mental illness which has to be treated not scoffed at.

It would be like giving out to somebody for being depressed or suicidal.

We must spread awareness of it, make sure everyone knows about, include it in sitcoms, have it debated on television, introduce it to school curricula, form campaign groups, attract funding and disperse the taboos of this mental illness so as none are excluded from society.

That will lead to treatment, surely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I saw a thing about this years ago before the internet was popular and before the current online outrage over people labelling themselves X, Y or Z. It wasn't some attention seeking internet thing and was taken seriously.
    Slapping a new label on it doesn't make it something new dreamt up by someone on Tumblr.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Alien limb syndrome is the common name.

I remembering watching a doc on it years ago.

Nip Tuck did an episode on It, where some patient wanted to cut his leg off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

''It basically people who belong they were born in the worn limbs''.

hibble bibble.

plubidy blob blob plibblewab.

**** sake.

beejee wrote: »
    In extension to the above, I was reading a magazine where it put forward the idea of "digital disease", where the Internet in general can be thought of as a vector for spreading disease (of intangible, damaging thought)

It may become a popular phrase in the near future.

Absolutely is a thing, sites become hubs for people who reinforce whatever disordered thinking they share and it becomes normalized. Look at those 'pro-ana' sites* or the INCEL stuff and see how far you can go down the rabbit hole of crazy thinking when you get validation and support. Or religious radicalization, or whatever your favorite flavor of crazy is.

*pro anorexia

• Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's one way to get a parking permit I suppose!

Candie wrote: »
    Look at those 'pro-ana' sites* or the INCEL stuff and see how far you can go down the rabbit hole of crazy thinking when you get validation and support.

Yeah, finding a community of like-minded individuals is not always a good thing. A bit like groups of addicts holding people back from breaking their addiction, separating them from the group can be necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

As someone whose body has already betrayed them (MS) I can't even fake being ok with this.

They have no idea how it feels. They're romanticizing it and wouldn't cope for one day with actual disability.

I remember reading about one transabled person who pretends to be a paraplegic and even got a disabled badge for her car. On the days she isnt doing that she enjoys mountain climbing and skiing. The gall of her, treating a serious disability as a hobby.

I reckon there's a difference between someone just pretending, to get attention or for some tangible gain, and someone who feels a need to lose a limb or whatever. Anything I've seen about the latter seems to compare it to anorexia.

greencap wrote: »
    ''It basically people who belong they were born in the worn limbs''.

hibble bibble.

plubidy blob blob plibblewab.

**** sake.

Best post I've read in ages. Dunno why I find it so funny but I nearly fell of my chair laughing at it. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Stop the world and let me off !!!

What a shower of absolute head the balls.

If they want amputation,fine by me,but it should start at the shoulders.

Snip snip.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Jewel Shuping, a 30-year-old woman from North Carolina, purposely blinded herself with a help of a doctor by pouring drain cleaner in her eyes.
    It's bad when you're not sure if the article is Waterford Whispers or something real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

They're not romanticising anything, they're mentally ill.

Freshpopcorn as usual didn't do a very good job of framing his opening post. These aren't people who think it'd be a bit cool or trendy to be disabled, they're suffering from severe psychoses to the point where many of them will try to remove the "offending" limb themselves because they feel so strongly that it's not theirs.

But hey, it's AH, so rabble rabble, outrage, lefty snowflake something-or-other, etc.

Advertisement