Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small house renovations

• 11-10-2018 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭

Hi all

This seems like a stupid question but I'm all at sea here. I have a relatively large kitchen with separate dining room off. I have a vision of rearranging the kitchen, knocking through to the dining room, and making a small sitting space in the space that would be opened up. While this looks lovely in my head, I can't grasp if the space would work or be too cramped. Who or what profession do I need to have a look at this for me. I don't want to go full architect of at all possible as it's a relatively small job and I feel the expense would be wasted. But maybe that's what I need. Anyone any advice

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

A builder you can trust to give good advice, not just someone who tells you it will work just to get the work. Intrrior designers, Friends, relations. You head will most likely be spinning afterwards with all the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,772 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This is not the answer to your question, which is a very difficult one, but it might help.

Get some squared paper and draw out the rooms to scale. Make some photocopies and draw in the furniture and fittings as accurately as you can in various configurations (or use cut outs so you can move fittings around).

If you put in the time this will give you a good idea of what is possible. It will make discussions with builders, designers, etc much more productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Got my garden done for about 10K. Smallish job. Absolute dogs dinner and no formal drawings to fall back on. Beware saving money it can cost a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Got my garden done for about 10K. Smallish job. Absolute dogs dinner and no formal drawings to fall back on. Beware saving money it can cost a fortune.

Like garden garden as in landscaping?
    If so, that's some serious money, I'm shocked! Looking into landscaping myself and I know there's no open end but 5k here can buy me a seriously nice makeover from a professional company.

Anyway OP, I'd honestly consult an architect because their job is it to visualise it to you. I found builders aren't that great at this. I always say if you're in doubt on how it's going to look, consult a professional, it's their job. You might get away with a good interior designer too that has a bit of a clue about architecture and isn't only spoofing about the latest trendy colour scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Thanks all. Think the safe bet is architect. I'm pretty inexperienced home renovation wise so probably best to spend up front to make sure it's done right first time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Moomintroll99

You could have a quick play around in an online tool like Roomsketcher (that's one but there would be loads of others I'm sure), which lets you place walls, kitchen units etc & then see it from different viewpoints. Would give you a vague idea at least what might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Doop

Dont want to confuse the issue, but an Architectural Technician, Building Surveyor, Interior Architect, would all be able to draw this up for you, at potentially cheaper rates.

Where are you based?

Doop wrote: »
    Dont want to confuse the issue, but an Architectural Technician, Building Surveyor, Interior Architect, would all be able to draw this up for you, at potentially cheaper rates.

Where are you based?

Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Doop

Dublin.

You shouldn't be short of locating any of the above so.

I suppose in theory you are looking for someone to do a measured survey of the areas concerned, draw scaled drawings of what you are thinking of and potentially propose an alternative option if applicable.

Only potential issue is, is the wall to be knocked a stud or solid wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If it's a block wall between the kitchen and dining room, then don't try to cheap it. The wall could be structural meaning it can't just be "knocked through".

A stud wall is less likely to be structural/load-bearing, especially if the house is 30+ years old. But if it's a newer house, a stud wall could be load bearing and you'll need the architect/engineer.

• Advertisement

I'd personally also suggest the use of a solicitor in drawing up the contract between you and the builder. Exactly what needs to be done referencing the drawings, what payments will happen at what stage and don't be shy in telling the to feck off if at some stage you're not happy with the work being carried out (with good reason of course).

I wish I'd followed my own advice.

seamus wrote: »
    If it's a block wall between the kitchen and dining room, then don't try to cheap it. The wall could be structural meaning it can't just be "knocked through".

A stud wall is less likely to be structural/load-bearing, especially if the house is 30+ years old. But if it's a newer house, a stud wall could be load bearing and you'll need the architect/engineer.

It's stud and house is old. But I'm going to get an engineer to sign it off anyway to make any potential sale a bit easier down the road

Can you not just make some furniture out of cardboard boxes and play with them? See if you reckon you've enough space from that?

Figure out what you plan to put where, mark each cardboard box as that item and tweak it until you're happy. Measuring a room, and then measuring the size of the chair/s etc. you want to use won't be that hard and I'm confident an architect isn't going to do anything you could do yourself with a measuring tape and an hour of your own time..?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd personally also suggest the use of a solicitor in drawing up the contract between you and the builder. Exactly what needs to be done referencing the drawings, what payments will happen at what stage and don't be shy in telling the to feck off if at some stage you're not happy with the work being carried out (with good reason of course).

I wish I'd followed my own advice.

Followed your own advice....

Who pays 10k for landscaping.

That's not advice that is a head scratcher

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

If your thinking now it may be too cramped then it probably will be.
    I was surprised how hard we found it to get a corner sofa that would fit in our sitting room. The room is an ok size overall but a bit to narrow.
    I'd do the drawings yourself first before paying anyone so you have a better idea of what you want first. Or even post dimensions here.

listermint wrote: »
    Followed your own advice....

Who pays 10k for landscaping.

That's not advice that is a head scratcher

Materials were a good part of that and a week on site, went with the lowest quote. Don't hate cos I've nice big gardens living on me coucil estate :pac:

Just as an indication of size - although I'm a new build on the end, the other end managed to get 3 houses on the end of his all with front and back gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Fair enough Samuel, my garden is significantly smaller than that, so it shows again there are a lot of variables.

OP, something else I might say: we did some renovation work a year ago, plumbing, rewiring, new kitchen etc.
    There's a big difference on how people approach things and what they include in their quote, you need to go through every quote of work carefully. I had 3 plumbers here giving me 3 different prices and 3 different approaches, I ended up going with the most expensive quote because it was the most wholesome quote and I had the best feeling about them.
    Recommendations from friends and family that recently got work done is worth a lot, we moved into a new area and didn't know anyone, so had to figure it out all on our own and it certainly wasn't easy.

Advertisement