Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

2forjoy wrote: »
    @ john.doe

I was looking at the link to the make up of these , and one thing it tells me is that none of the round ovids are manufactured in Northern Ireland . So I wonder who makes the CW ones ?

A lot I reckon are imported and bagged, someone on thread said there are hundreds of rebagging operations. For example I was using Hayes fuels , which are all bagged under that companies name, however on their website , they clearly state they are importers and distributors.

Didn't find any website like the UK one for ROI but maybe we don't regualte it as heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for a bargain at all at all?

Gone be with the days when we burned whatever was there and we were lucky to have it.

I have a load of turf, wood, coal, ovoids and slack ready for the winter.

The chimney needs a clean and then we'll be good to blaze up the stove again.

No real cold there yet.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Have been burning the champion coal from http://www.coaldirect.net/fuel-products the last two nights and very happy with it so far.
    Good flame and heat from it. None of the smokey smell I got from the black diamond I got from CW a few years back.
    Also noticed that the coal has burnt down well and am getting nowhere near the large lumps of rock and cinder I had been getting from the CW black diamond

• Registered Users Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭jmreire

Berberis wrote: »
    Have been burning the champion coal from http://www.coaldirect.net/fuel-products the last two nights and very happy with it so far.
    Good flame and heat from it. None of the smokey smell I got from the black diamond I got from CW a few years back.
    Also noticed that the coal has burnt down well and am getting nowhere near the large lumps of rock and cinder I had been getting from the CW black diamond[/QUO

Just to be sure, it's the Champion Coal, you are speaking about, and not the Champion Doubles? And transport is included in the price to the South of Ireland?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

jmreire wrote: »
    Also noticed that the coal has burnt down well and am getting nowhere near the large lumps of rock and cinder I had been getting from the CW black diamond[/QUO

Just to be sure, it's the Champion Coal, you are speaking about, and not the Champion Doubles? And transport is included in the price to the South of Ireland?:D

Correct on all points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tomslick

jmreire wrote: »

Correct on all points
    Just put in an order on the back of your recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

So my experience with Coal Direct. I Ordered a ton of coal last Wednesday morning . Order the Coalite as the lads who I spoke to said it was ovoids. Got a email on Monday to say it was dispatched. No coal on Tuesday so emailed on Tuesday night , and then Wednesday and called on Wednesday evening and was told I would get a callback.

No callback but received a email to say it would be here on Thursday morning and it was the couriers fault. Come 2.00pm on Thursday still no coal. Emailed again and was told it would be the evening. Eventually came on Thursday around 4.30pm.

Two of the bags were opened so got a look at the coal. Seems very like Easyglows large ovoids. One thing I did notice was that there seemed to be water in some of the bags even though they were wrapped well.

I will burn a bag at the weekend and let you know who they go but so far I’m not impressed with the service .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭loki7777

I would say condensation is normal. I had few bags in shed for few months and when opened coal was wet. I assume it wasn't full plastic bag and that's why you have water inside.

loki7777 wrote: »
    I would say condensation is normal. I had few bags in shed for few months and when opened coal was wet. I assume it wasn't full plastic bag and that's why you have water inside.

When I was putting them into the shed you could hear the water and when I was taking them off the pallet there was a lot of black water. They were not the plastic bags. More netted bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I got a ton of Superflame from Coal direct

Very impressed with it so far.

Leaves very little ash never a cinder there at all always just powder

And phenomenal heat off it

Very Impressed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

bigron2109 wrote: »
    So my experience with Coal Direct. I Ordered a ton of coal last Wednesday morning . Order the Coalite as the lads who I spoke to said it was ovoids. Got a email on Monday to say it was dispatched. No coal on Tuesday so emailed on Tuesday night , and then Wednesday and called on Wednesday evening and was told I would get a callback.

No callback but received a email to say it would be here on Thursday morning and it was the couriers fault. Come 2.00pm on Thursday still no coal. Emailed again and was told it would be the evening. Eventually came on Thursday around 4.30pm.

Two of the bags were opened so got a look at the coal. Seems very like Easyglows large ovoids. One thing I did notice was that there seemed to be water in some of the bags even though they were wrapped well.

I will burn a bag at the weekend and let you know who they go but so far I’m not impressed with the service .

Well..hows the coal going, I see a tonne of this stuff is the same price now as the coal warehouse ovoids. I dont know will this tempt me to change though as I'm happy enough with the coal warehouse stuff.

Just looking at the bags of the coalite and it says to be used on open fires. So are they suitable for stoves?

Well..hows the coal going, I see a tonne of this stuff is the same price now as the coal warehouse ovoids. I dont know will this tempt me to change though as I'm happy enough with the coal warehouse stuff.

Just looking at the bags of the coalite and it says to be used on open fires. So are they suitable for stoves?

To me it seems the very same as the Easyglow stuff I got last year. Burns the very same, gives off the same heat and also in the morning there is only ash left. I’ve never purchased from Coal warehouse so can’t comment on their stuff. I can only compare it to Easyglow which I bought a ton of it last year .

I’d have no problem buying another ton at the same price from Coal Direct of Coalite .

Works perfectly in stoves too. Had no issues lighting it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

To me it seems the very same as the Easyglow stuff I got last year. Burns the very same, gives off the same heat and also in the morning there is only ash left. I’ve never purchased from Coal warehouse so can’t comment on their stuff. I can only compare it to Easyglow which I bought a ton of it last year .

I’d have no problem buying another ton at the same price from Coal Direct of Coalite .

Works perfectly in stoves too. Had no issues lighting it either.

Is there much ash left?

Is there much ash left?

Very little .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

To give my experiance. I ordered on Monday evening at approx 18:30. Received the pallet of coal yesterday in North County Dublin. Purchased a tonne of Calco Supermix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Galw1

So need to order ovoids or similar for my stove (Stanley Reginald) - basically need to be able to throw in some in the morning, close down the stove and when open up in the evening it will be quick enough then to take off. Used the ovoids from Kosy King last year.

Kosy King - 1 tonne of Low smoke Supertherm 413.94 approx
    Easy Glow - Large Coal Ovoids 416 approx
    Coal Direct - Coalite 25kg (coaldirect.net) 384 euros approx

Has anyone experience of the Coalite or a better recommendation?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

Galw1 wrote: »
    So need to order ovoids or similar for my stove (Stanley Reginald) - basically need to be able to throw in some in the morning, close down the stove and when open up in the evening it will be quick enough then to take off. Used the ovoids from Kosy King last year.

Thanks!

I would suggest the Kosy King Maxibrite (€420 approx inc delivery). They have 84% anthracite . (Ecobtite have 96%).
    They are on my list for my next Kosy King order. I have nearly used the last of my Kosy King premium stove coal which was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Monitor1985

I'm making a purchase of coal soon and struggling to decide what to get.

I've had the doubles from coal warehouse (they were nothing special) and doubles from easyglow (much better, great heat, still burning through my last order)

I have an open fire and burn blocks of wood as well, would buying ovoids be a good choice for an open fire with blocks?

Basically looking for suggestions on what to buy with my current setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Galw1 wrote: »

Thanks!

Got ovoids from coal warehouse again this year. Still cheaper than your 3 selections, they use a different delivery company now. Were more efficient than the previous ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 xdark

I used to buy ovoids from coal warehouse - (great coal ,glow red for very long in stove, great heat, nearly no ash) . This year I find it difficult to order as they suggest other freight company so I bought ovoids form Coal Direct - Coalite 25kg (coaldirect.net) hassle free just a few clicks on their website and I am happy with the coal I would say even better then the one from coal warehouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭deisedav

I'm making a purchase of coal soon and struggling to decide what to get.

I've had the doubles from coal warehouse (they were nothing special) and doubles from easyglow (much better, great heat, still burning through my last order)

I have an open fire and burn blocks of wood as well, would buying ovoids be a good choice for an open fire with blocks?

Basically looking for suggestions on what to buy with my current setup.

Use the ovoids and blocks myself in the open fire and find them a good combo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭naughto

xdark wrote: »
    I used to buy ovoids from coal warehouse - (great coal ,glow red for very long in stove, great heat, nearly no ash) . This year I find it difficult to order as they suggest other freight company so I bought ovoids form Coal Direct - Coalite 25kg (coaldirect.net) hassle free just a few clicks on their website and I am happy with the coal I would say even better then the one from coal warehouse.

Ya Harly work for them do ya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭pm.

Got ovoids from coal warehouse again this year. Still cheaper than your 3 selections, they use a different delivery company now. Were more efficient than the previous ones.

What did they charge for a ton including delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

pm. wrote: »

Cost me €329 for a ton of Oviods delivered to Munster from Coal Warehouse. (This was before the price increase)

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Any recommendations on coal for a stove in Kilkenny area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

pm. wrote: »

362 euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just ordered from coaldirectireland.com a tonne of Union Nuggets in 20kg bags for €373 inc delivery (yes I do know all about them been using them years and yes I know they aren't the best value for heat output but they suit us).

Locally I could pick them up for €400 but thats a lot of work and 40kg bags making it even more effort so hopefully this will work out better. Will update on how well the delivery goes, with Coal Warehouse the driver wouldn't come down our road so had to take my trailer to pick up the coal from a layby :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

my3cents wrote: »
    Just ordered from coaldirectireland.com a tonne of Union Nuggets in 20kg bags for €373 inc delivery (yes I do know all about them been using them years and yes I know they aren't the best value for heat output but they suit us).

Locally I could pick them up for €400 but thats a lot of work and 40kg bags making it even more effort so hopefully this will work out better. Will update on how well the delivery goes, with Coal Warehouse the driver wouldn't come down our road so had to take my trailer to pick up the coal from a layby :rolleyes:

The pallet network lads that do the final leg of the delivery in Wexford sometimes use a truck that has a really poor turning circle. I've had 30' rigid body trucks in and out of my place a couple of times but the one they use is either a 17 point turn to get in if they happen to come from the correct direction or a detour if they don't.
    Other trucks can get in no bother so I'm wondering was the driver worried he'd be stuck. They were very helpful in my case though and had good patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Roen wrote: »
    The pallet network lads that do the final leg of the delivery in Wexford sometimes use a truck that has a really poor turning circle. I've had 30' rigid body trucks in and out of my place a couple of times but the one they use is either a 17 point turn to get in if they happen to come from the correct direction or a detour if they don't.
    Other trucks can get in no bother so I'm wondering was the driver worried he'd be stuck. They were very helpful in my case though and had good patience.

I understand all the lorry size problems and narrow roads but none of that is my problem when I specifically ask if they can deliver to an address with limited access and they say yes.

I've emails this time stating they can deliver so if I get the same sh!t then they can take it back and I'll get a refund from PayPal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

my3cents wrote: »
    I understand all the lorry size problems and narrow roads but none of that is my problem when I specifically ask if they can deliver to an address with limited access and they say yes.

I've emails this time stating they can deliver so if I get the same sh!t then they can take it back and I'll get a refund from PayPal.

For gods sake,throw it on the back of a trailer if the worst comes to the worst. I’d say you would start a row in an empty house.

Advertisement