Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does plywood furniture need a frame for strength?

• 30-10-2020 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

I'm thinking of building a mobile counter on castors, 2ft by 5ft and 3ft high, with maybe a few shelves inside. Probably out of a mixture of pine board and birch plywood, all 3/4inch, I was going to start with a frame from 2by4's or 2by2's, but now I'm wondering if I even need one?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭con747

salad17 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of building a mobile counter on castors, 2ft by 5ft and 3ft high, with maybe a few shelves inside. Probably out of a mixture of pine board and birch plywood, all 3/4inch, I was going to start with a frame from 2by4's or 2by2's, but now I'm wondering if I even need one?

Thanks

Build a frame, or you will end up with a flat pack on the floor!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭salad17

I'll join it with pocket screws and glue, I should have mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Build a frame, use 2x3's.

I'll join it with pocket screws and glue, I should have mentioned

I would still build a frame of 2x2 for stability but it depends on the weight you intend putting in and on it. A lighter frame might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Are the shelves going to have a solid back? A solid back of 3/4 ply gives great support to any she!f. depending on the distance between supports and the weight on the shelves, you may or may not require some framing on the front.

• Advertisement

Are the shelves going to have a solid back? A solid back of 3/4 ply gives great support to any she!f. depending on the distance between supports and the weight on the shelves, you may or may not require some framing on the front.

Well the whole thing would have a solid back, it'll basically be a giant box with all sides and doors at the front but shelves to one side. I guess there would be a frame needed on the side of the doors anyway.

My concern is just the weight of it, I had already bought 2by4's anyway but after seeing lots of birch ply projects (although usually smaller) wondered if it was overkill

con747 wrote: »
    I would still build a frame of 2x2 for stability but it depends on the weight you intend putting in and on it. A lighter frame might work.

A small commercial coffee machine and bits and pieces, maybe 40kg

A small commercial coffee machine and bits and pieces, maybe 40kg

2x2 in my opinion should do. 2x4 is very bulky.

Yeah, I basically copied this but decided to go with ply/pine board instead of planks, don't know why he used 2by4's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtSOr9k0Wk4&ab_channel=ThePhilgreens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Yeah, I basically copied this but decided to go with ply/pine board instead of planks, don't know why he used 2by4's

Probably a bit late now but you don't have to use framing as long as your connections are good - but that's the problem. Pocket hole screws on their own are not structurally strong enough. There are loads of Ikea like K/D fittings out there but are tricky to use. I think a well equipped maker would use one of the Domino or Lamello fittings - pricey machines and fittings !
    You are right about keeping the weight down. The back can be as little as 6 mm thick as long as it is let into a rebate of some kind.It will stop the structure from racking.
    If you don't mind the look of wooden plugs have a look at the Confirmat screw system. They are designed to screw sheet goods together with a dedicated drill bit. You can use caps on the screws or plugs.
    The faceframe system is probably easier to do but the frameless construction looks better. Ask Ikea :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Its getting a lot of horsing around, and has a bit of weight in it
    5' is a long span in the front with no support

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

recipio wrote: »
    Probably a bit late now but you don't have to use framing as long as your connections are good - but that's the problem. Pocket hole screws on their own are not structurally strong enough. There are loads of Ikea like K/D fittings out there but are tricky to use. I think a well equipped maker would use one of the Domino or Lamello fittings - pricey machines and fittings !
    You are right about keeping the weight down. The back can be as little as 6 mm thick as long as it is let into a rebate of some kind.It will stop the structure from racking.
    If you don't mind the look of wooden plugs have a look at the Confirmat screw system. They are designed to screw sheet goods together with a dedicated drill bit. You can use caps on the screws or plugs.
    The faceframe system is probably easier to do but the frameless construction looks better. Ask Ikea :D

Thanks for all the suggestions, I hadn't heard of many of them, just familiar with them from fitting IKEA furniture! I had looked at biscuit joints and dowels for previous projects, but never used them.

I wouldn't invest in those extra tools though, I already have too many as it is! I would glue the project as well as the pocket screws anyway, it doesn't need to come apart again. Pocket holes I've found very strong although the weak point has always been the very expensive screws themselves which have snapped.

I think I will go with a 2by2 frame which seems to be the general consensus here. Thanks for your help everyone!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I hadn't heard of many of them, just familiar with them from fitting IKEA furniture! I had looked at biscuit joints and dowels for previous projects, but never used them.

I wouldn't invest in those extra tools though, I already have too many as it is! I would glue the project as well as the pocket screws anyway, it doesn't need to come apart again. Pocket holes I've found very strong although the weak point has always been the very expensive screws themselves which have snapped.

I think I will go with a 2by2 frame which seems to be the general consensus here. Thanks for your help everyone!

Hope its working out. Personally i would have simply used biscuit joinery to bring it all together as a frameless unit. That of course means a biscuit joiner and a set of long clamps. There is a little known system called the 'Miller Dowel' which uses a dedicated drill bit ( in three sizes ) to drill a hole into which the special wooden Miller dowels are glued. Unlike ordinary dowels they have a 'shoulder' so bring the pieces together. Very neat if you don't mind the look of a dowel.:rolleyes:

recipio wrote: »
    Hope its working out. Personally i would have simply used biscuit joinery to bring it all together as a frameless unit. That of course means a biscuit joiner and a set of long clamps. There is a little known system called the 'Miller Dowel' which uses a dedicated drill bit ( in three sizes ) to drill a hole into which the special wooden Miller dowels are glued. Unlike ordinary dowels they have a 'shoulder' so bring the pieces together. Very neat if you don't mind the look of a dowel.:rolleyes:

Thanks, I ended up just going with the 2by2 frame and pocket holes!

Good stuff. At the end of the day we all use whatever tools are available to us. I got a bit ahead of myself mentioning fancy hardware that's probably more suitable to commercial makers. If you want to make something nice to last a hundred years then traditional joinery is the way to go.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭cargen

Would you mind posting some picture.
    I am planning to build something similar and I wouldn't mind to look at someone else work.

I am completely novice.

Thanks

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

It probably cheaper to buy ikea than pay for wood
    Ikea is ment to use cardboard in middle of furniture but I have never cut one in half to see if you build ikea use wood glue as it will not last

cargen wrote: »
    Would you mind posting some picture.
    I am planning to build something similar and I wouldn't mind to look at someone else work.

I am completely novice.

Thanks

Apologies, I took pictures for you a while back but never uploaded them.

Here they are:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Dunfyy wrote: »
    It probably cheaper to buy ikea than pay for wood
    Ikea is ment to use cardboard in middle of furniture

Yeah, they use cardboard in a comb pattern internally in a lot of their stuff. Light and strong.

Advertisement