Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Porter Cable

Options
  • 07-10-2020 8:34am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Question to the knowledgeable among you please.

Who would be your dealer of choice for Porter Cable tools.
    I have a couple of porter cable tools, that are extremely well built,
    and I need a few additions.

I have a PC hinge jig which is probably the best made available, even
    tho its 25+ years old, and perfect, so no problem there.

And I have a PC 24" Omnijig for dovetailing which is also a robust heavy
    bit of kit. I want to get a 1 1/2 hp PC router to use with it.

I have a Makita 3600B router, but I dont want to run into issues with
    metric vs imperial bushes ect. You know what I mean.:)

Thanks
    kadman

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

This is my Omnijig for dovetailing.
    Unused for many years, i did a bit of a revamp on its condition
    to get it ready for some use

[IMG][/img]r7uIPUs.jpg

After cleanup.

PEFO2Sn.jpg

RgdkIZF.jpg

Au1k1To.jpg

TnHd6Sn.jpg

I've only ever bought one Porter Cable tool, a framing nailer, from McQuillans. Must be over 15 years ago now. It was an absolute piece of crap. An expensive piece of crap too. Constant misfires, jammed nails, even using the most expensive taped nails which PC customer care in the US had confirmed as being suitable. Junk. Frustrating overpriced junk.

Grrrrr!

I'd get a set of bushes made up for the Makita before I'd buy a PC router. The 3600B might be getting on in the years (aren't we all) but it's a bloody good tool.

Yep the 3600b is long in the tooth like myself. I have put 3 sets of bearings into it so far,
    but it was a real workhorse when I was contract fitting and locking doors, and routing
    stair strings too.

And in all fairness I gave it some abuse down through the years, so I think I am probably due a new router,and me bday is mid october.:D

Whats the order of the day in routers now then??

Do you have a budget in mind? I presume you’re only looking for 1/2” options?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

porter cable was sold to black and decker so quality will not be as good its a diy brand now

• Advertisement

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    porter cable was sold to black and decker so quality will not be as good its a diy brand now

Maybe so now. But the Omnijig I have is original PC, and is built very solid.

Its cast aluminium, but weighs a ton. I also have , and have used their door
    hinging and locking system, also better made than any comparable thing at the time, and fully adjustable .

Budget....who cares, its me Bday next week....:D

kadman wrote: »
    Maybe so now. But the Omnijig I have is original PC, and is built very solid.

Its cast aluminium, but weighs a ton. I also have , and have used their door
    hinging and locking system, also better made than any comparable thing at the time, and fully adjustable .

Budget....who cares, its me Bday next week....:D

For a 1/2” machine, Trend T11 would be where I’d start so. Well, a big Festool OF but at around a grand, it’d want to be a whopper of a birthday and I’d have to use a power router more than I do!

If an 8mm machine and cracking good precision fit the bill, I’d chase a Metabo OF1229. I like mine a hell of a lot. Had it for years. Very high quality kit with a swiss made dial indicator on the precision depth adjuster and a micro adjustable fence.

PM’d you about a router I spotted.

JayZeus wrote: »
    PM’d you about a router I spotted.
    Got that , thanks,

But My old reliable Makita 3600B has just been recommissioned with the new

proper size guide bush, and new dovetail bit.

kadman wrote: »
    Got that , thanks,

But My old reliable Makita 3600B has just been recommissioned with the new

proper size guide bush, and new dovetail bit.

Good man. A wise decision I think!

• Advertisement
Advertisement