Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strange Occurrences in house

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 boldface

This is my first ever boards post. please be kind! I feel compelled to respond as some of the replies although helpful are quite dismissive. My family home was afflicted by unusual and unexplained activity and at times was a very scary place to be. A lot of what you describe mirrors experiences we had at home. We had various blessings etc with no real improvement. Asking loudly for the presence to leave you alone can be helpful. This energy doesn't realise they are causing you fear. we had intangible things happen like the sense of someone being there and shadows etc and also tangible e.g. piano playing when nobody was in the room and loud banging noises early in the morning. we also had plenty of lightbulbs exploding and flickering lights so I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss that as unrelated. Our dogs over the years would also bark at the same time every night staring at the same window. Some rooms became basically no go areas. I have no real wisdom to impart but sometimes experiencing these things can make you feel like you are mad. We are a large family and have a very varying scale of highly skeptical to gullible but every single one of us can attest to what we saw/heard/felt over 40 odd years. My parents are now passed and the house is sold and I would love to know if the new owners experience anything but I'm unlikely to ever find out. Hope your situation calms down.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

BS you just made that up or you and all including dog exposed to some mold/fungus which lead to varying neurological symptoms e.g. hallucinations

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

tellme, where did you read the mold/fungus idea cus you have been banging on about that since in every post you make on this thread nearly. I call BS on that.

We live in the world of strict rules. What you call paranormal or mysterious it just things you can't explain due lack of knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

and you have the knowledge to explain it - mold. Yes, very good indeed.

• Advertisement

I said in general term.

It could neurological issues. But if you see shadow wants to hug you that is only in your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

(Bit of a long-winded post below, but just wanted to share my experiences)

I've had some similar experiences throughout my life. My most recent was back in 2015 when I was teaching English in Vietnam for a few months. I was living with some friends in a five story house and I woke up around 6am to see a dark figure standing by my bedroom door. The figure was completely black and featureless but somehow, as crazy/stupid as this sounds, I knew it was wearing a military uniform. I was lying on my side at the time and obviously I got a fright and let out a gasp and I turned around so I was laying on my back and saw another featureless figure, and again I have no idea how I knew this but I knew that the figure was in his 20s, and was wearing a tshirt. The difference was this figure was IN my bed - as if he just walked through my bed, as all I could see was the top half of his body. It was the beginning of winter and it was still mostly dark so I turned on my bedroom light and waited for the sun to come up before turning the light back off and going back to sleep, I was that spooked.

When I got up a few hours later I felt more at ease about it and explained it to my friend and we had a bit of a laugh. Over the next few days we had a few more weird occurrences. I was taking a shower in the en-suite and one side of the towel rail fell off the wall (which honestly could have just been a loose screw). After I got out of the shower my friend, who's bedroom was across the hall from mine, came over and asked what did I want. I was puzzled so I asked her what she meant, and she said that she heard me calling her from my room, which I absolutely had not done.

Another few days later a Vietnamese employee from the teaching company we worked for came over to hang out for a while as we had become friends with her. We mentioned in passing about the few experiences we had, not thinking much of it, and her demeanour completely changed and she said they take things like that very seriously and that she would have to get a "magician" in to cleanse the house. (I did some google translating afterwards and found out that she probably meant something more like a shaman/priest when she said magician and just used the wrong word.) She also mentioned that the house we were living in was used to house soldiers during the war. This was something I had absolutely zero knowledge of beforehand, so there's no way my brain could have used that information into "tricking" me into seeing the first dark figure as wearing a military uniform. She also explained that in Vietnamese culture it's extremely common for everyone to have shrines in their houses where they make offerings to their deceased loved ones. We had one of these shrines, which was on the topmost floor, out on a kind of large enclosed balcony/patio area. Everyone living in the house was Western so we didn't know anything about the culture or the significance of the shrines so we just ignored it. Our Vietnamese colleague speculated that since no offerings had been made in several months it may have upset some of the spirits in the building.

After the "magician" came to cleanse the house we didn't have any more weird stuff happen.

Now, I'm very much an "I need to see evidence to believe" kind of person, but even I have to admit that that, coupled with another experience I had when I was around 10/11 years old, spooked me a bit and left me wondering about a lot.

Wonder how much you paid to magician? 😃 After inhaling certain gas people can see, hear and even feel weird hallucinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

Didn't pay a penny. The house was owned/rented by the company we worked for so they sorted it. There was no gas or visible mould in the house, and it was very well ventilated, since that seems to be your favourite explanation for everything.

Actually not. Could be anything for example in your food or drink. Bottom line what you saw wasn't real. just keep that in mind next time you have it would help to cope.

I know some people do jump of the balcony to avoid shadows or whatever they encounter in their mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Your house isn't haunted - There are no shadowy spirits spying on you in your sleep or trying to creep you out by smashing your lightbulbs or breathing in your ear.

If your house was truly haunted, believe me, you would know - You certainly wouldn't be so unsure you needed to come to boards.ie. :)

Best bit of advice is for you to just stop thinking about it - Your mind is playing with you - Ignore it and it will go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

To summarise -

You saw a dark figure in your room. This can easily be caused by sleep paralysis and other such phenomenon. I actually have this happen quite regularly and it's terrifying. But I know it's not paranormal and it's just my brain doing funky things when it's in between being asleep in waking.

A rail fell off the wall. I'm sure this isn't exactly very uncommon in Vietnam.

Your housemate heard a noise that sounded like their name - humans naturally try to recognise familiar patterns, be it seeing faces in random shapes to hearing noises that sound like something. It doesn't mean anything.

None of the events correlate to each other, but when they coincidentally happened in succession, it feels like they are.

No magician required methinks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I suffer from sleep paralysis on a regular basis and have done for years. I'm at the stage now that I will realise that I am suffering from it in real time and it's not so bad. In fact, I try to embrace it. It's the trying to wake up that is the problem- the wife will often hear me twisting and turning during an episode and talking. Apparently it is far more likely to happen sleeping on your back. The last time she asked in the mornig "Who is Karen?"- I have no idea and do not know a Karen.

Advertisement