Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WFH Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I find it very annoying that with KB squats it's my upper body/back that fails a good bit before my legs - I just find holding a 16kg / 20kg KB really heavy after 10 reps or whatever. Frustrating.

How are you holding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

with the bands I decided to take them to the park, some advantages, plenty of stable poles instead of potentially wrecking a door handle in the house. Can mix in with some laps and sprints so just gets you out and get a few other things done.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Do you hold it with the bell part below the handle or above?
    Mellor wrote: »
    How are you holding it?

Thanks guys

Upside down i.e. with my hands supporting the bell, but have tried with it upright using the handle too and it's even worse.

Have also tried it in the front rack position, alternating sides too. I think I am just weak!
    Also I have competition kettlebells so they feel a lot bigger to grip than the black cast iron smaller ones.

Will be doing split squats more I think as Cill suggested but still like to try and squat a bit to keep up the movement pattern and not get too rusty!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yeah I did mostly single leg work last time but it is nice to just do some 'normal' squats from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What about letting it hang down?
    Like a hack squat. Load is the same for legs, but don’t have to use energy to hold it up.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    What about letting it hang down?
    Like a hack squat. Load is the same for legs, but don’t have to use energy to hold it up.

Oh that's a v nice idea - just googled a video - thanks! Will definitely try that.

Also remembers last time I gave sumo squats a go with it hanging down at the front too, so that's an option.

Obviously tempo and/or pauses as well if you're finding it a bit too easy to knock out a lot of reps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Has anyone tried the below or something similar?

https://perpetua.ie/what-we-offer/perpetua-anywhere/

Great list of programmes by equipment here - taken from Cill94's newsletter, so thanks Cill!

https://www.elitefts.com/education/home-gym-and-at-home-workouts/?fbclid=IwAR3TwgcXwDSnYZkM5bFmlXTzI4EVzmvzMuHlhNsxkQxSFMs7QwvmcYqgrO4

Beau wrote: »

Flyefit have a bank of online classes with their memberships now - so something similar without the nutritional piece. To be honest I think something like Les Mills on demand or free youtube workouts would be just as good but without a free sample video its hard to comment on Perpetua specifically.

That said, I can definitely see the accountability attraction of the live workouts for sure - but they are pricey at €18 imo.

Revfit have a really good option (closing this evening I think) where they send you a myzone belt and you can do the live workouts with others so there is a lot more coaching / accountability involved. This I can definitely see the value of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Cill94

Great list of programmes by equipment here - taken from Cill94's newsletter, so thanks Cill!

https://www.elitefts.com/education/home-gym-and-at-home-workouts/?fbclid=IwAR3TwgcXwDSnYZkM5bFmlXTzI4EVzmvzMuHlhNsxkQxSFMs7QwvmcYqgrO4

:) Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

€18 for a remote video class is absolute hilarity, but would expect anything else from Perpetua?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Patsy167

How is everyone's WFH experience going?

Great to see a burst of activity over the past week. Lots out running, and making the most of the parks and playgrounds to get in some movement.

Any observations or tips from your own experience to share?

It's been ok so far. I've had to have a Plan B for some of the lower body stuff because the higher volume bothers my hip so I have to test certain movements out and see how they feel and either modify or change them. Primarily for the squat/hip hinge movements.

Want to get the 45kg slam ball out later if I can. I go to a spot near home to do it but not sure if there will be enough light there later.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Beau wrote: »

20 euros a month would be in line with a lot of other online streaming or group coaching sites are offering. You can get whatever you like these days, every flavour of yoga, lifting, lifting etc. I pay something similar for weekly programming and some limited coaching.

A lot of zoom-based classes going on right now as well from other bricks and mortar gyms.

But can’t understand why it would make sense to pay 18 euros a go for a live class too?

Patsy167 wrote: »

Great to see a burst of activity over the past week. Lots out running, and making the most of the parks and playgrounds to get in some movement.

I put in a gym in the shed the day before lockdown 1 so if I’m sickeningly honest I am pretty insulated from all the madness.

For anyone interested in doing similar, I noticed Strength Shop has pre orders for their basic 2028 bar and budget power bar.

2028 pre order is here https://www.strengthshop.ie/olympic-bar.html

I’ve used a 2028 bar (and it’s predecessors). No frills but better “value” than a lot of other lower end barbells, or even mid range branded (but still China imported) barbells where you pay more for questionable reasons.

Patsy167 wrote: »

Going ok here too. I'm trying to do little and often to keep in the groove as opposed to my natural inclination for monster workouts that leave me happy exhausted but unable to train at all the next day.
    Ticking off sessions as part of a 6 week block is helping. After that - it'll be another replan I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sonandheir

I have no equipment, and never learned from the first lockdown. Didn't mind in the spring as just did loads of running.

But now I'm caught again with no equipment. The last week I have been using household furniture(tables, lifting couches, heavy chairs). It is turning out to be a very good work out just hauling this stuff around and lifting it.
    Kinda like what I heard referred to as 'functional strength'.

sonandheir wrote: »
    I have no equipment, and never learned from the first lockdown. Didn't mind in the spring as just did loads of running.

But now I'm caught again with no equipment. The last week I have been using household furniture(tables, lifting couches, heavy chairs). It is turning out to be a very good work out just hauling this stuff around and lifting it.
    Kinda like what I heard referred to as 'functional strength'.

I spotted two crowd control barriers on a footpath and use these for dips. I'm using a bus shelter for pull ups. Gotta get it done!

When I read that I thought, "Jaysus, that's some lead time, I was hoping covid would be well gone by 2028!"

• Advertisement

With the mixed weather ahead, it can be difficult to get outside for some exercise. A few tricks that I have been using to get myself out the door are:

- Action comes before motivation - Not the other way around.

- Count down from 5 and then just go - 5-4-3-2-1-..Up from the couch...runners on...out the door

- The hardest part will be opening the front door - After this, the rest is easy.

- Scale down/lower the threshold of what is required - The thoughts of going for a long walk or outdoor workout can be so daunting. Instead of all or nothing, I will try to think of it on a grey scale and that something is better than nothing. Just go for a 200 metre walk, do 5 pushups, stretch one muscle. More often than not, by the time I get started, I will enjoy it more than I thought and stay doing more. That, and pure stubbornness that I'm not after going to all of the trouble to get prepared and not have something to show for it. the opt-out option is always there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I put in a gym in the shed the day before lockdown 1 so if I’m sickeningly honest I am pretty insulated from all the madness.

For anyone interested in doing similar, I noticed Strength Shop has pre orders for their basic 2028 bar and budget power bar.

2028 pre order is here https://www.strengthshop.ie/olympic-bar.html

I’ve used a 2028 bar (and it’s predecessors). No frills but better “value” than a lot of other lower end barbells, or even mid range branded (but still China imported) barbells where you pay more for questionable reasons.

That’s a nice price. What’s the difference in these bars? I have a cheap bar that seems fine to me.

Newsletter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Cill94

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Newsletter?

https://mailchi.mp/fe5aa1452f25/subscribenow

Anyone interested can subscribe for free. Content for next few weeks will be focused on how to make the most of training from home.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    That’s a nice price. What’s the difference in these bars? I have a cheap bar that seems fine to me.

That's a great question.

The short answer is that the build quality of more expensive bars is significantly better. But how much that matters depends on the demands to be made upon the bar, and how long you expect it to last you.

If we compare the 2028 with the Ohio bar, for example, for the purposes... The 2028 is a great budget bar that I would have no problem buying myself. If someone can afford to spend more, though, then I think in the long term their experience is going to be better, but it's not essential.

The 2028 bar:-

- 28mm shaft is a strong selling point in comparison with other budget barbells that are often annoyingly chunky
    - E-coat / black oxide finish is preferable to chrome in a lot of people's view when it comes to grip
    - It may not be a true 20kg
    - Sleeve construction is usually iffy and in the long term will loosen, become noisy and ultimately puts a lifespan on this bar compared to more expensive, better constructed options
    - The sleeve construction and limited spin is also why they mention this bar is not suitable for Olympic lifts (and by extension, CrossFit style cross training)
    - Recommended load of 250kg is decent but this is for static lifts like bench, squat and deadlift on appropriate surfaces with control. Because it's 'straight steel' it will warp in some circumstances over time.
    - The limited 6 month warranty is worth bearing in mind in light of the above
    - Although knurling is listed as 'coarse' it's stamped on, not cut into the bar, and is pretty passive. Not necessarily a bad thing for most people especially novices
    - Strength Shop customer service is good and overall this is a great bar for novices and intermediates who are on a budget
    - I would expect to either want to or have to replace this bar in about five years tops, however

The Rogue Ohio bar:-

- Made in the USA
    - Lifetime warranty
    - 28.5mm diamater also grand
    - Sleeves will spin moderately well, making this a bar you can Olympic weightlift or do CrossFit style training with. A true Olympic weightlifting bar is going to be in a different price point so, IMO, not fair to be overly hard on the Ohio bar in terms of its sleeve rotation
    - Knurling is deliberately fairly passive to accommodate Olympic lifts but is cut into the bar, not stamped, so it is uniform and better quality
    - Sleeve construction and overall engineering of the bar and sleeves is such that it can withstand drops, Olympic lifts and is generally likely to last a significant amount of time in comparison with a budget bar. If not abused then certainly 10+ years
    - Significantly better quality steel is used, load rating not an issue

For someone who is mainly practising the static lifts (bench, squat, press, deadlift) and is not going to ever use it for Olympic lifts or power cleans or any variation of them then I would also recommend looking at the Ohio Power bar over the regular Ohio bar, which is a stiffer bar again, with coarser knurling for a better grip, different sleeve construction and has centre knurling to improve stability on the back squat.

Price wise I would consider an Ohio bar to be upper middle of the bar market. It's actually not megabucks for what you get. If someone wants a bar for Olympic weightlifting they can expect to spend at least another couple of hundred euros again on top of that for what they are likely to want.

Great explanation. Thank you.
    For someone like myself, I’ll be using my bar 3-4 times a week for static lifts only. I’d imagine it’ll last a long time.

Although knurling is listed as 'coarse' it's stamped on, not cut into the bar, and is pretty passive. Not necessarily a bad thing for most people especially novices

I remember my first comp and thinking I'd need a skin graft after squats.

The decent bars in the gym had been ruined by flutes doing who rack pulls and the straighter ones were Jordan bars with their gentle knurling so the Eleiko bar was a new ball game

I remember my first comp and thinking I'd need a skin graft after squats.

The decent bars in the gym had been ruined by flutes doing who rack pulls and the straighter ones were Jordan bars with their gentle knurling so the Eleiko bar was a new ball game

I remember the first time I used a Texas power bar, I found the knurling a real shock. Tore open my shins immediately when deadlifting, made the rest of the session interesting.

It was part of what steered me towards buying an Ohio power bar over the Texas power bar... The knurling is still aggressive but I felt like the Texas power bar was actually masochistic. Don't know whether they're all like that one was!

Texas Powerbar massacre :D:D

• Advertisement

Texas Powerbar massacre :D:D

Oh stop it, you rogue

Advertisement