Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old TV ads.

• 19-06-2004 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I'm only 15, but recently I remember distinctly two old ESB ads.

1: A father turns on a lamp in his bedroom and goes to his baby in the middle of the night. He then goes to his kitchen to make the baby a bottle of milk.

2: I think it may be a son of the family, but somebody is coming home from somewhere and the mother at home is preparing a eal for him/her.

Does anyone know these ads, and if so, do you know a clearer discription? Also, feel free do talk about other old ads.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think it may be a son of the family, but somebody is coming home from somewhere and the mother at home is preparing a eal for him/her

Yup, it had a great track from Dusty Springfield as the soundtrack - "Goin' Back"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I remember that one alright, they ran it for years. Probably because they couldnt afford to make any new ones ;)

Speaking of which, I notice an ad on tv for dulux weathershield that must be well over 10 years old.

Loads of 80s ads up here, mostly american though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The father in the baby ad was a cop in Glenroe (remember that?!) too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Yeah, I remember them as if it was only yesterday. Grew up watching them. The second one in particular, the son being picked up by his father and "Goin' Back" home, as BuffyBot said, always reminds me of returning to school after the summer holidays because they usually stated showing it around that time or not long afterwards. That ad was always the sign that the nights were starting to draw in and winter wasn't too far away. But neither was Christmas! :D (Of course, as a kid, you would always plan out your year around things like Christmas, Easter, summer holidays, back to school (groan!), Halloween and your birthday! :D)

Bit of useless trivia here. The young fella in that ad who's "Goin' Back" home is none other than Alan Hughes off 'Ireland AM' on TV3.

And simu is spot on, the father who gets up to feed the baby in that other ad was none other than the guy who played the Garda sergeant in 'Glenroe'. And that ad also had another great song as the soundtrack, "Only You" by The Platters.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

TV ARK
    Lots of stuff here including Adverts mostly British though.

• Advertisement

It's terrible how little there is online about classic Irish ads! I found the following images, though. Twould take you back!

aer_lingus.jpg
    Aer Lingus

full_of_beans.jpg
    Maxwell House

drawing.jpg
    Telecom Éireann!

All from www.marketing.ie

God simu, that Aer Lingus image you posted brings back memories, alright. That was the ad that used that flute music from the film "The Mission", wasn't it? That has to go down as an all time classic Irish ad, in my opinion.

Does anyone remember the Guinness "Surfers" ad? Would have been from the late 70's/early 80's. Funnily, I was only a wee nipper at the time but I remember it clear as day. There are two parts in that ad in particular that I remember well. There's a shot from behind of a woman in a bikini operating a camera on a tripod with a massive telephoto lens on it and you get a great view if her wiggling her arse at one point! :D

The second is the music used in the ad. It had this really cool, almost surreal, electric guitar music playing over it. Almost Jimi Hendrix-like in it's surrealness. But there's this one chord or riff or whatever they're called (apologies to any guitarists reading this! :D) that's played which sounds exactly like a bit in Don Henley's "Boys Of Summer". And everytime I hear "Boys Of Summer" and hear that bit in the song I think of that Guinness surfer ad. If you listen to "Boys Of Summer" you'll know the bit I'm talking about. It's the instrumental bit before the chorus that starts "Out on the road today I saw a dead-head sticker on a Cadillac." Listen for these two guitar bits that sound like echoing seagulls or something. You'll know it when you hear it. Anyone who remembers the Guinness surfer ad well will know then exactly what I'm talking about in the music used in that ad. Classic ad and I'd love to see it again. Wonder is there anywhere I could download it?

And speaking of surfers, who can forget the classic Old Spice ads with that dramatic opera music playing over the images of the surfers. Not exclusively Irish, I know, but another all-time classic ad, in my opinion.

They just don't make them like that anymore, do they? :D

*edit - of course, the Guinness "Surfers" ad was immortalised in Christy Moore's song "Delerium Tremens" with the line, "As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad I could never figure out, how your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭lyonsy

that esb one with the dad getting up to feed the baby ad had that song that went "only yooooooooouuuuuu, can make the darkness bright."

remember the harp ad with the flying pig and the talking camel, ya know "hey laurence can i have a packet of dates and a pint of harp.." or summit to that effect?

also tha question thats haunted me for years: who the f uck actually was taking the horse to france? in that kerry gold ad

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

There are some great adverts available here. Not all old, though you do get Melanie Sykes.

No sign of the Guinness surfer advert, though checking my Book Of Guinness Advertising it was done by Arks in 1980 and was known both as "Surfer" and also as "The Wave". No idea who did the music. Arks handled Guinness's Irish TV and press/poster advertising for years - they also did "Anticipation" (the dancing Joe McKinney advert) and two years before Surfer they did "The Island", voted Ireland's best advert ever by the marketing droids a few years ago. I absolutely loved "Chain" (done by Ogilvy & Mather and available from the site above) and I remember seeing a cinema advert with an old bloke just chatting away about a great day out he once had and finishing it with a pint. Only ever saw that one once and I';ve no idea which agency did it.

I reckon anyone who was alive in the early 80s remembers the Old Spice adverts aidan mentioned. O Fortuna in the background, it'd almost make you need some Old Spice.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Ok Im showing my age. Yes I remember the Guinness ad. And remember the Harp ad with the "Sally o Brien and the way she might look at ye".. Better still I have a vhs tape of the last Thin Lizzy concert broadcast on rte in 1983 with cool adbreaks inc Harp. Dulux,Discover Ireland 1983 ad and a few other crackers. Even the beginning of rte news that evening..
    80s ads are the best. I have a suspicion old spice is in there somewhere.Must rush out and get some!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by simu
    full_of_beans.jpg
    Maxwell House
    I hate that ad! There was some old bugger in that ad drinking coffee right and I dislike him! 'Coz he was scheduled to appear in an ad for HB Icecream, which would have been a montage of the different decades of HB. And guess who was meant to be in his segment too? Yes, that's right - ME! I could have been in one of these feckin' classical ads but instead the deal fell through, I got no more ads, and he got his bloody stinking Maxwell rotting House :mad:

That's annoying alright. It would have been so much cooler if I'd posted up your photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Yup, it had a great track from Dusty Springfield as the soundtrack - "Goin' Back"

People may say that they only ran that ad 'cos they didn't have the money to run any other, but I say Who Cares!

I remember being out foreign for a few years, and when I used come home at Christmas, there were only two things that would really warm my heart.

a) It's a wonderful life
    b) That ad!

Normally I tend to rail against pointless ads, (I mean, why advertise Electricity. It's not like we'd want to go back to whatever came before) but I always made an exception for this 'un

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ESB ads, 'Only you, can make all this world seem bright' etc, etc. Isn't electrickery brilliant. If they didn't advertise all the time, sure I probably wouldn't even use it :D

Speaking of classic beer ads though, anyone remember the Harp ad where the Vikings were coming? And when they arrive in Ireland they go straight to the pub (strange that) looking for Harp, and then the two girls start playing the harp but that's not what they're after, and so on.

On a non-beer topic, anyone remember the Milton (or Milton 2 I think) as with the father sitting on a stool in an empty room feeding a baby with the classic line 'Ain't he great'. Ah, the memories come flooding back in a wave of pointless nostalgia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The Cadburys Flake ad with the lady in the boat going through the waterfall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

or the one underground in that weird cave... thats some freaky ass sheeyat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

One I remember was an ad for the Flake bar, the one with the girl sitting in the bath eating the chocolate bara dn waving her legs around in the air seductively, I used to have these images of her getting her toe stuck in the tap :D

The words of the song in the background were
    Only the crumbliest flakiest chocolate
    Tastes like chocolate never tasted before
    I was addicted to Flakes for AGES afterwards!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by jor el
    ESB ads, 'Only you, can make all this world seem bright' etc, etc. Isn't electrickery brilliant. If they didn't advertise all the time, sure I probably wouldn't even use it :D
    You mean you never got the notion to turn on some extra lights after seeing those ads? The need to fire on a pack of sausages after the cute Swedish girl telling you, nay ordering you, to cook electric (so clean, so nice)? The urge to go for a nice warm bath after Nick Park's plasticine zoo animals told you to flick on that damned radio?

I always wondered why they didn't just run with "Electricity Supply Board - we're cool as heck we are"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

I always wondered why they didn't just run with "Electricity Supply Board - we're cool as heck we are"

Electricity - Because Candles are Just Too Wussy

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

One old ad which has made a reappearance on the tv lately is the one for Squeez orange juice with the father and daughter. It must be at least ten years old. the daughter must be in college by now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Does anyone remember the Ad for Delta airlines where a plane is landing and everyone switches their watches. A man meets up with a woman, they kiss and the camera shows a plane fly over them. Very cool ad!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by thejuggler
    One old ad which has made a reappearance on the tv lately is the one for Squeez orange juice with the father and daughter. It must be at least ten years old. the daughter must be in college by now!

Yeah, but imagine how the "father" feels, he's probably 60 :). Seriously thou' I saw the ad too and there's one thing about the ad being jaded - music, style etc., but it seems like they're using the same tape that they used - what 10 years ago? so its grainy too (no its not my TV). So it even "feels" old if you get my drift. Now I'm starting to wonder if they do this on purpose :eek:.

D.

/Edit: spellies

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

question.....

whats the point of esb advertising back then? it wasnt as if you could pick and choice your electristity...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

i remember the milk is good for you add where a freaky wooden guy sings "them bones them bones need calcium" scared the **** out of me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

They used to show that ad about once a month until a few years ago.
    It looks like its from the seventies. Weird ad.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by agent smith
    question.....

whats the point of esb advertising back then? it wasnt as if you could pick and choice your electristity...

I think it was one after the changed the corportate logo - I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

"hey gringo- det diss thirsty stranger a pint-a harp!"

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Hey, sorry to butt in but am going mad trying to find a download of Guinness Anticipation dancing Joe McKinney ad... doesn't seem to be in guiness ad archive for some strange reason and can't find it anywhere... any ideas please?

also, love stella artois ads showed recently in cinema, red flowers one and red shoes too...

cheers ! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Those Guinness adds
    Watching TV at home in Winter then <click> the tv goes off and all the lights flicker for a monent and then go off half a minute later the lights go back on and then from the TV comes the end of the add..
    "this 30 seconds of darkness has been brought to you by the ESB."

• Advertisement

It's funny you should mention the Guinness "Anticipation" ad with your man dancing around to Perez Prado's "Guaglione" (that was the name of the song, wasn't it? If I remember correctly!), Micamaca. The reason being because the other night I was watching the telly and when the ads came on there was a new, updated version of that ad playing. Then, a couple of minutes later, another Guinness ad comes on which simply showed two surfers running out across the beach and into the water.

Now, straight away I realised what seems to be going on here. It seems Guinness are looking back to some of their classic old ads and taking inspiration from them and updating them for today. The "Anticipation" ad. The old "Surfer" ad. See the connection? I wouldn't be surprised if the next one we see is an updated version of that ad with the lads rowing the currach (sp?) full of Guinness out to the island. I wonder how they'll update that? Have some fella in a speedboat or something, perhaps?

Actually, considering "Anticipation" and "Surfer" have been mentioned with such affection in this thread, I'm starting to wonder if there is someone from Guinness reading this and saw what we were saying and came up with the idea of updating those classic ads as a result. They're out there spying on us, I tells ya! :D

HELLO THERE GUINNESS ADVERTISING EXECUTIVE, WHOEVER YOU ARE! WE KNOW YOU'RE SITTING THERE READING THIS!!!!!! SAY HELLO AND GIVE US A WAVE, WHY DON'T YOU? :D

Advertisement