Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I heard there are plans to try and do some works on the old dublin road to enable it to be looked on as a proper business park.

Apparently there is over 2000 people employed on the old dublin road which i wouldnt have realised.

Anyone hear any more about the plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

the kelt wrote: »
    I heard there are plans to try and do some works on the old dublin road to enable it to be looked on as a proper business park.

Apparently there is over 2000 people employed on the old dublin road which i wouldnt have realised.

Anyone hear any more about the plans?

"New Development Plan For Old Dublin Road Area. | Enniscorthy & District Chamber" https://www.enniscorthychamber.ie/new-development-plan-for-old-dublin-road-area/

Might surface the shaggin road, it's like a battlefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Duffry Goat

As it is now a year since the development plan was proposed for the Old Dublin Rd, it would be interesting to hear from the Council what progress the Steering Committee has made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Pretty sure this whole "develop the area as a business park" idea is the main reason the speed limit is still just 80km/h between Scarawalsh and Blackstoops roundabouts too?

Ridiculous when you're coming from Bunclody direction in particular. You can drive along quite legally at 100km/h all the way from Bunclody to Scarawalsh, but then when you exit off the roundabout and on to a better and wider road for the last part of the trip into Enniscorthy, you have to slow down to 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

That stretch is 3.3km - does 20km/h make much difference?

Genuine question, and not trying to start an argument....

• Advertisement

Is that medical devices place still open? Car park is empty anytime I pass.

blindsider wrote: »
    That stretch is 3.3km - does 20km/h make much difference?

Genuine question, and not trying to start an argument....

More like 5.2km, according to Google Maps ;)

It's not so much about time lost or gained over the difference that 20km/h would make, though. It's more about the stupid illogical inconsistency of speed limits on Irish roads. Seems there's very little consideration given to the actual condition or width or anything else of a road in determining its speed limit, and instead, the most "important" thing is the letter at the start of its name.

But I'm not trying to start an argument either. Am just making a point. :)

If they want to develop the area the speed limit has to be eighty for planning permission I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

More like 5.2km, according to Google Maps ;)

But I'm not trying to start an argument either. Am just making a point. :)

Nope - roundabout to roundabout is 3.3km on Google Maps - Scarawalsh to Blackstoops/Donohoe's.

I agree that some roads have silly speed limits - low and high - but that's for another thread.

You're right. I just did a quick look-up for Scarawalsh to Blackstoops. Not the same thing as the distance between the roundabouts.

Not going to argue either about what's for another thread, and what isn't. Think we had something similar around here in the past..... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

kneemos wrote: »
    Is that medical devices place still open? Car park is empty anytime I pass.

Yes - Mon to Thurs from 7am to 5am.

I see Cyril Wheelock is branching out with a coffee outlet of some description on the main Clonroche road where he normally sells strawberries.

Fair play to him, at least hes trying something different in these tough times for business.

Does anybody know why there is a high table on the corner of Rafter St and Market Square, It is completely out of context, but nice to lean on

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mondo44

Does anybody know why there is a high table on the corner of Rafter St and Market Square, It is completely out of context, but nice to lean on

I think it belongs to the chipper on the corner

Looking forward to crepes and waffle take aways from the Riverside today. Hope it's a great success for Jim and his team

Looking forward to crepes and waffle take aways from the Riverside today. Hope it's a great success for Jim and his team

Drove past there today to have a goo and have to say it looked like an impressive set up, best of luck to them although I’ve heard complaints have been made that this is allowed etc, the usual “should this really be allowed during a pandemic” crowd of course!

Lasted surprisingly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Lasted surprisingly well.

If ever a picture spoke spoke a thousand words, local council services, make your own mind up...

As it is now a year since the development plan was proposed for the Old Dublin Rd, it would be interesting to hear from the Council what progress the Steering Committee has made.

€2m investment.

"PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines." https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/enniscorthy-guardian/20210309/281522228833296

Spotted this......good news

Cllr. Aidan Browne

��Update Enniscorthy trails
    ��It was decided at yesterday's council meeting that the extension of the promenade walk including the replacement of existing footbridge over the river urin is to include the loop to Borodale the design is to be ready for funding which will be later this year.
    ��I will update as I receive the information.
    Cllr Aidan Browne

• Advertisement

Spotted this......good news

Cllr. Aidan Browne

��Update Enniscorthy trails
    ��It was decided at yesterday's council meeting that the extension of the promenade walk including the replacement of existing footbridge over the river urin is to include the loop to Borodale the design is to be ready for funding which will be later this year.
    ��I will update as I receive the information.
    Cllr Aidan Browne

Very interesting, I wonder how they will loop to Borodale?

I always thought they could easily loop to the walk out to Ring Wood if they could get under or over the railway.

Very interesting, I wonder how they will loop to Borodale?

I always thought they could easily loop to the walk out to Ring Wood if they could get under or over the railway.

Follow the Boro perhaps.

Follow the Boro perhaps.

Actually now you mention it they would be coming up at Ring Wood then, into Kilcarbry and across private lands to Borodale.

It would be a great amenity if it gets the go ahead, be a fabulous walk to be fair.

Actually now you mention it they would be coming up at Ring Wood then, into Kilcarbry and across private lands to Borodale.

It would be a great amenity if it gets the go ahead, be a fabulous walk to be fair.

Great. Might be a little far for the daily walk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Sounds great. Would be a lovely walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Great news.

Just a real shame that the existing footbridge was allowed to deteriorate so badly for circa 11 straight years. I hope its replacement will be more durable and subject to the odd bit of cleaning and maintenance.

Sounds great. Would be a lovely walk.

Prom has become really crowded lately, and The Hub is flying. A longer walk, as proposed, might help thin the crowd out

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BernardJohnson

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Great news.

Just a real shame that the existing footbridge was allowed to deteriorate so badly for circa 11 straight years. I hope its replacement will be more durable and subject to the odd bit of cleaning and maintenance.

I've said it before, the existing rotten boards could easily be replaced with composite boards, (They don't rot or fade).

The structure of the bridge is still sound, just needs a lick of paint...

What are the buntings going up for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mondo44

They would need to cross the railway tracks at some point then

Advertisement