Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus UCD Anti Social Behaviour

• 09-03-2019 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

As has been recently talked about in the news and media unfortunately DB have been having trouble in UCD with anti social behaviour from drunken students with buses not stopping there after a certain time. Obviously I agree that drivers and passengers deserve a safe travelling/working environment.

But what I don't understand is why DB aren't using their standard procedure in place for dealing with such incidents like do in other areas with common anti social behaviour such as Neilstown, Jobstown, Finglas West and Ballyfermot with buses being pulled for an hour on the first incident and for the rest of the night at the second incident and this being publicised on their website and social media.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they have a union agreement with other areas when there's anti social behaviour but this those not appear to be the case with UCD with it left as it appear purely up to the individual drivers discreation and no disruptive passengers being left in the dark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

The 46a and 145 both serve this particular stop, pulling them would leave a lot of people without a service. It's also the case that the 39 starts in UCD so even if the 46a and 145 skip the stop there's still a service to the city centre.
    More speculatively, I get the impression that the carry on is more of a nuisance than actively dangerous and individual drivers decide they don't want the hassle so skip the stop. It's been happening for at least ten years too, on more than one occasion I've been on a late 46a into town that stayed on the N11 rather than passing UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭ Kamila Swift Foot

I don't see how pulling the service is beneficial in the long run, why are the police not called to deal with such behaviour? The drunken twits don't care if the service is pulled. It only puts out everybody else who need the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

A few country lads up from the country bedazzled by all the bright lights and the company when all they're used to is the barn and walking up the boreen late into the evening! The novelty will come to pass....eventually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The 46a and 145 both serve this particular stop, pulling them would leave a lot of people without a service. It's also the case that the 39 starts in UCD so even if the 46a and 145 skip the stop there's still a service to the city centre.
    More speculatively, I get the impression that the carry on is more of a nuisance than actively dangerous and individual drivers decide they don't want the hassle so skip the stop. It's been happening for at least ten years too, on more than one occasion I've been on a late 46a into town that stayed on the N11 rather than passing UCD.

The 39 doesn't serve UCD so I assume you mean the 39a. I believe the 39a starts a couple of stops after UCD and doesn't go into the campus itself after a certain time. Generally in areas with anti social behaviour issues there is a procedure in place that is agreed with drivers to be adhered to and any driver not complying with it is disciplined accordingly.

I'm not sure exactly but I believe there have been issues with buses being damaged and students breaking the windows on buses meaning they have to be pulled from service and taken back to the garage also drivers have been threatened and students gotten on and refused to pay fares. Also believe there have been buses which have had bottles thrown at them which I would regard as potentially dangerous behaviour.

I don't see how pulling the service is beneficial in the long run, why are the police not called to deal with such behaviour? The drunken twits don't care if the service is pulled. It only puts out everybody else who need the service.

I'm sure the drivers are requesting Garda assistance when needed. Preventing and reducing anti social is the work of AGS not DB but DB have the role of keeping staff and passengers safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

Stephen15 wrote:
    The 39 doesn't serve UCD so I assume you mean the 39a. I believe the 39a starts a couple of stops after UCD and doesn't go into the campus itself after a certain time. Generally in areas with anti social behaviour issues there is a procedure in place that is agreed with drivers to be adhered to and any driver not complying with it is disciplined accordingly.

The last 39 departure leaves UCD at 11.10pm

thomasj wrote: »
    The last 39 departure leaves UCD at 11.10pm

I forgot about that one does it actually serve UCD most nights or start a few stops after UCD?

Stephen15 wrote:
    I forgot about that one does it actually serve UCD most nights or start a few stops after UCD?

According to tweets online the 39/as don't stop in the bus park after 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

something like this has been happening for at least the last few years.

poisonated wrote: »

From what I gather that is true. The problem I have is that DB aren't publishing their arrangements for late night buses serving UCD if buses aren't serving UCD why aren't they telling passengers so they can make alternative arrangements like they would if the 27 is out of Jobstown for the night.

Why is DB treating UCD differently to Jobstown, Finglas, Neilstown or Ballyfermot etc. when it comes to anti social behaviour or are there other areas where buses are pulled from due to anti social behaviour but it isin't reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This would seem to be something that could be managed. Have a chat with the Gardai and put offenders off at the Donnybrook Garda station would get the message across. The 39A stop is on UCD property, making it possible for the college to throw the book at offenders. There needs to be a good effort made to maintain service and if Dublin Bus wish to amend their routes then they must publish the changes and ensure that electronic signs etc reflect the change, this does not seem to be happening.

This would seem to be something that could be managed. Have a chat with the Gardai and put offenders off at the Donnybrook Garda station would get the message across. The 39A stop is on UCD property, making it possible for the college to throw the book at offenders. There needs to be a good effort made to maintain service and if Dublin Bus wish to amend their routes then they must publish the changes and ensure that electronic signs etc reflect the change, this does not seem to be happening.

Or perhaps with the student residences they could introduce a curfew and close down the student bar until they can behave themselves. Some the sense of entitlement coming from the students is jsut ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Or perhaps with the student residences they could introduce a curfew and close down the student bar until they can behave themselves. Some the sense of entitlement coming from the students is jsut ridiculous.

Are they getting drunk in the bar? Is the modern approach not to tank up on spirits in the residences and then go to town?

Are they getting drunk in the bar? Is the modern approach not to tank up on spirits in the residences and then go to town?

That's why they should have a curfew in the residences aswell

I do not agree with the idea of a blanket curfew... that would be punishing the masses for the fault of a few.

I do not agree with the idea of a blanket curfew... that would be punishing the masses for the fault of a few.

There wouldn't be a need for it if they behaved themselves it would be the last resort if trouble was to become the norm. It would be part of the contract when signing up for student residences don't want the curfew don't get a place in the residences or have a complete ban on any sort of parties in the residences if breached eviction. Harsh but fair if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭StreetLight

This whole situation is ridiculous. We're talking about supposedly bright people with enough intelligence to study at UCD, yet can't control their urges to cause wanton vandalism. They need the threat of a financial sanction, coupled with a bloody good kick up the árse.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    There wouldn't be a need for it if they behaved themselves it would be the last resort if trouble was to become the norm. It would be part of the contract when signing up for student residences don't want the curfew don't get a place in the residences or have a complete ban on any sort of parties in the residences if breached eviction. Harsh but fair if you ask me.

But for a lot of people, their only crime is going to UCD. If a person who had green eyes committed a crime, you wouldn’t round up all the people with green eyes and send them to prison. Only the person who committed a crime should face the consequences.

Disclaimer: I don’t go to UCD

But for a lot of people, their only crime is going to UCD. If a person who had green eyes committed a crime, you wouldn’t round up all the people with green eyes and send them to prison. Only the person who committed a crime should face the consequences.

Disclaimer: I don’t go to UCD

Well the idea would be that curfews would be introduced temporarily until the issue calmed down. What would happen is that if a curfew was introduced the people causing trouble would probably quit the residences and they could replace them with people who actually do want to be there and they could be used as a threat for students to calm down.

If you don't want to live by the rules of the residence then find somewhere else to stay would be the logic. I'm sick of hearing moaning from privileged students about non real world issues.

Maybe they will quit the complaining when they actually had to do a hard days work. Who else is going into town on a Tuesday night when everyone is in bed other than students. It's fair that people are being denied a bus service in their area as people live and work in the vicinity of UCD.

Wouldn’t agree with that at all. A lost of students work on the weekends and thus can’t go out at the weekend. In other words, they are working 7 days a week( study plus job). I m not a student but can put my self in their shoes. This idea of “those privileged kids” privileged why? Because they are in college? There is a thing called susi grants. There is a thing called scholarships. They want to better their lives and I say fair play to them. The majority are hard working and don’t cause any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Says a lot that the same nonsense isn’t happening around Trinity. Country bais dazzled by being away from Mammy’s leash, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Buses have been destroyed inside with ceiling panels destroyed, hand rails pulled off etc etc.

Bottles smashed and left rolling around, cans of piss and puke, pint glasses same.....

The abuse of them getting off is disgusting also.

Had it happen many times over the years where they would want say lesson st but not bother pressing the bell or making their way down then they would all get off on Dawson Street and throw abuse and even cans on a few occasions.

Banging on the floor with their feet, screaming like a banshee and wailing etc on the way in.

Passengers already on board would move downstairs under fear and the noise only to be subjected to the bangs now above their heads.

I have no issues with someone have a laugh, good night or day and of course having a few fizzy drinks once they behave themselves.

I've no issues even though it's illegal to drink or eat on a bus once they respect others including myself and take their bottles with them.

Having glass or plastic bottles rolling around is a serious safety issue as they can roll under one's foot when walking and cause a bad fall and also the bottles smashing.

These bottles then can actually cause the doors to jam and get stuck also as they roll down to them with movement of the bus.

Buses will stop in their if the ones causing the trouble grow up and treat others and themselves with respect but until that can be shown I don't see any changes.

It's the same though anywhere across the city though as you can just tell when the group you're stopping for is going to be troublesome and then the game of not paying starts or paying a €1 fare at 11pm and them all going to the city drinking cans or vodka etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

How is stuff like this allowed happen in this country, why not just put 4 plain clothes Gardaí on every bus going through that area each evening and arrest every single person acting the clown, problem solved, hardly a need to setup a research group and have a study on the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It was happening when I started there in 92!
    Seems to die down for a year or two and then flare up again.

How is stuff like this allowed happen in this country, why not just put 4 plain clothes Gardaí on every bus going through that area each evening and arrest every single person acting the clown, problem solved, hardly a need to setup a research group and have a study on the problem.

As per usual there isn't any Gardai to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Qrt

Isn’t the crux of the issue being that there hasn’t been many incidents of anti-social behaviour, and DB are just skipping the stops anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭StreetLight

No, the crux of the issue is that this has been happening for YEARS and nothing has changed.
    The definition of stupidity is doing things the same way but expecting a different result.
    The Gardaí are simply not interested, so it's up to bus drivers to make a stand for the safety of themselves and their decent passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Qrt wrote: »
    Isn’t the crux of the issue being that there hasn’t been many incidents of anti-social behaviour, and DB are just skipping the stops anyway?

It is. Drivers take the N11, they can't even see if there are any large or rowdy groups on the actual overpass stop. It's a blanket stop boycott, not a response to any actual risk.

strandroad wrote: »
    It is. Drivers take the N11, they can't even see if there are any large or rowdy groups on the actual overpass stop. It's a blanket stop boycott, not a response to any actual risk.

Some of the newer guys have gone up after 10pm and the buses thrashed.

• Advertisement

Maybe it's time for UCD to hold these guys accountable for their actions. After all it's the reputation of the college at risk.

Advertisement