Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow 1982

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Thanks for the pics Mr. Bosco I still remember that big snow! Must check if I have pics of it and get them scanned and put them up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭arctictree

Quint wrote: »
    Yeah, every time that ad comes on we're all saying "wasn't that 82?" How could they get that wrong!?

They are actually right. There was widespread snow in mid december 1981 in the run up to XMas. From looking at the charts though, I dont think there was snow on XMas day itself.

'82' was the year of the big January snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

arctictree wrote: »
    They are actually right. There was widespread snow in mid december 1981 in the run up to XMas. From looking at the charts though, I dont think there was snow on XMas day itself.

'82' was the year of the big January snow.

Ah, that explains it,had an argument with my wife about that ad over the weekend!
    Don't remember the 81 snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Remember it would have been 82. I was 4 nearly 5 - Daddy was building our house at the time. We have tons of pics but there on one of those old projesctor thingys. One of me mum & sis walking over to the local school in the snow. Kats up to her waist & as I was so small walking on top of the 2 ft of it - didnt sink down just stayed up on top...

Said same thing when saw vodafone ad.... wasnt that 82 ??? My friend used to live in Roundwood & when we were about 18/19 we got stranded up in her house for 3 days with severe snow..... Spent 3 days freezing trying to get sheep in off the farm....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I believe the point of the advert is about the last time there was really significant snow on Christmas morning in Dublin ( judging by narrator's accent?) which was 1981? The Jan 82 snow wouldn't have anything to do with the last real "White Christmas" for Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

I rember that so well,we couldent open the front door or get the car out of the driveway(never mind find it).There were cars abandoned everywhere.I thought the snow started on a friday evening as my hubby used to work.till 9.00 on fridays nights and it took him 3hours to get from Maynooth to Celbridge which is around 6 or 7 miles.Oh yea I was pregnant at the time and due that week,but she waited until the 15th of Jan.:):)I will never forget the wind it was deafening:eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Was off school for over a week, which was fantastic as we never got a day off as my Da was the teacher. I was six and my brother was three. We took out our beach spades and started digging. The snow was up over his head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Blizzerthj8

Hello.. Was just researching the Big Snow for a Big Snow Fan Page we're involved in settting up on Facebook, and thought you might be interested in posting your stories or photos there. Check it out anyway: It's a competition where you can win a stove for your house...[URL="ttp://www.facebook.com/tos.php?api_key=9aaadc859a1c4c4ea7ef625c9b0c82ab&next=%3Ftoolbarid%3D867b3bb9-a66f-7423-08a1-4383b844a926&v=1.0&canvas#/pages/The-Big-Snow-January-1982/229933821825?ref=ts"]http://www.facebook.com/tos.php?api_key=9aaadc859a1c4c4ea7ef625c9b0c82ab&next=%3Ftoolbarid%3D867b3bb9-a66f-7423-08a1-4383b844a926&v=1.0&canvas#/pages/The-Big-Snow-January-1982/229933821825?ref=ts[/URL]

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

thanks for the pics OP, brings a tear to my eye...remember it like it was yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I feel compelled to upload a photo (i must dig out some more better ones) as i don't think the snow of Jan 1982 will ever be matched in our lifetime as this 2010 freeze was a big letdown in relation to snofall :( ( i am trying to tempt fate here too :D)

Hope the image uploads ok here goes:
    snowdrift1982.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sh*tty cameras back in those days;)

yes i agree the recent big freeze was a let down snowfall wise, but the intense artic cold will live long in the memory

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Picture of my Dad and older brother at the top of our driveway, 1982. Thats a brown Toyota Camry under that snow drift. Only have vague memories, but all good! The Roadstone Quarry in Blessington sent their machines to clear the road later that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Pictures of 1982 I've found throughout my research for my book on Winter 1981-82 (with photographers credited if available).

Milltownpass, Westmeath. Credit: Colm Smullen.

0GfOLRB.jpg

Ballymun Road, Dublin. Credit: Colm McMenamy.

cvcHeRs.jpg

Slievemore Road, Drimnagh, Dublin. Credit: EI-GJB.

WpJITqE.jpg

Queuing for supplies in Springfield, Tallaght, Dublin. Credit: South Dublin Libraries.

Bh1HhYb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Not 100% sure if this was 1982 but an old image I found whilst scanning was this one of Coolock, Dublin in the snow.

RZ7Izr8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭quodec

Just wondering Sryanbruen, how your book is coming on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Not 100% sure if this was 1982 but an old image I found whilst scanning was this one of Coolock, Dublin in the snow.

RZ7Izr8.jpg

I'm sure there are one or two around my house from '82 must ask the parents to dig them out for me.

Advertisement