Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Homeless mother forced to sleep in car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

mick087 wrote: »
    You are away with the fairies!
    Maybe maybe not. But itswhat i believe.

I havent a notion what your post is trying to say. Like some of your other posts, they are nonsense.
    My guess is you just don't agree with me

Are you suggesting that people who can afford a bigger house, should not be allowed a bigger house? How is that an "issue"?.
    Im not suggesting im saying no one deserve to be able to afford a better house than anyone else some people are overpaid some people are underpaid.

I think you will find that the "issue" is actualy people who cant afford a house, demanding a free house where one doesnt exist while turning down a free house in an area which they deem unsuitable.
    People carnt afford a house because they are paid low wages.
    There is no reason why housing should not be available for all, its achievable if the will was there.

Beggars certainly can be choosers in Ireland.
    I would argue why on earth are there beggars in Ireland in 2020

On the premise of this post alone, it is clear that there is no rational debate to be had with you.

There is a complete failure to understand the fundamentals of socio-economics among a raft of other things.

In your world, the State would build 7 million 3 bed houses and issue one to each family. It doesnt matter if you earn €0 per year or €10,000,000 a year, everyone gets an Ikea style flat pack, bog standard living domicile.

You might be a nice guy but your beliefs are infantile, your arguments are weak and your ideals are ridiculous.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

Great things have worked out well for you.
    When your family moved in was it a council house then or private?

If it was a council house when you moved in when you was not able to afford private or buy your own home.
    So at some point you brought a council house is that correct?
    So now someone in the same situation you was once in not able to afford buy a place would notbe able to get a council place because they have been sold.
    Council social housing should stay in the hands of local councils they should never of been allowed to sell them
    There are two main ways in which council houses become unavailable for allocation by councils:

(1) they are allocated to a family that consider it a forever home for themselves and possibly next generation and will remain in the house regardless of changes in circumstances/income

(2) the property is sold to a tenant

At least in the second case the council gets money that can be used to build/acquire further housing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The cleaner goes to work learns there skill puts there life on the line each and every day to keep you in a safe and clean environment. They pick up the rubbish you leave behind clean the toilet you use.
    They sweep the floors clean the windows they mop the floors you walk on. They hoover wash sterilize disinfect and work bloody hard.

If cleaners moan then maybe its because of people thinking they are stupid because they didnt go to college Maybe they moan because people look down at them and think they can treat them in such a bad way. Maybe people show them no respect.

It takes many years and much skill to become a good cleaner and its a vital necessary job.

No person should have the right to think they are better than anyone else university educated all not.

A solicitor is not be paid more than a cleaner.
    There is no reason why there is not more equity in pay.

For the record cleaners are not lazy or stupid.
    Most are over worked underpaid and treated like dirt.

Speaking as someone who worked as a cleaner for years and then as a barman and then as a builders laborer for years before repeating my leaving cert to get the points to go to University and then train for years after that in my chosen career which is well paid.....

What planet were you on when you wrote that? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,173 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The cleaner goes to work learns there skill puts there life on the line each and every day to keep you in a safe and clean environment. They pick up the rubbish you leave behind clean the toilet you use.
    They sweep the floors clean the windows they mop the floors you walk on. They hoover wash sterilize disinfect and work bloody hard.

If cleaners moan then maybe its because of people thinking they are stupid because they didnt go to college Maybe they moan because people look down at them and think they can treat them in such a bad way. Maybe people show them no respect.

It takes many years and much skill to become a good cleaner and its a vital necessary job.

No person should have the right to think they are better than anyone else university educated all not.

A solicitor is not be paid more than a cleaner.
    There is no reason why there is not more equity in pay.

For the record cleaners are not lazy or stupid.
    Most are over worked underpaid and treated like dirt.

I cleaned 4 and 5 star hotels and a bit in a hospital.
    Nobody never looked down on you really to be honest unless they were type who’d look down on everybody.
    You don’t spend years training to be a good cleaner. You start off with a bit of training. If you don’t pick it up to a good enough standard within a few weeks. You get left go. Your not allowed years to become a good one.
    It’s no where near equal to what a solicitor does.

I certainly don’t think I’m better than a cleaner, but I’ve got cleaning skills. Most cleaners would not have my IT skills or my education (which I’ve paid for without any grants), so I’m a strawberry while a cleaner is a banana.I agree with you that all professions deserve respect, but not all professions deserve equal pay. I also think perhaps it’s easier to take the position of ‘equal pay for unequal skills’ when you’ve not spent a decade full time while studying.

There’s only one strawberry around here thank you very much! And she’s been a cleaner when she’s had to be. You can go be a Dragon fruit or a kumquat

;)

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    so again, no, most people cannot buy a home

again, its been the increase in the availability of credit that has largely caused the rapid rise in house prices, this is a global problem due to the fact we have jointly believed rising asset prices are always good, as the wealth trickles down, this wealth trickles down in the most common form of money, i.e. debt

Actually most working families can buy a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

You are away with the fairies!
    Maybe maybe not. But itswhat i believe.

I havent a notion what your post is trying to say. Like some of your other posts, they are nonsense.
    My guess is you just don't agree with me

Are you suggesting that people who can afford a bigger house, should not be allowed a bigger house? How is that an "issue"?.
    Im not suggesting im saying no one deserve to be able to afford a better house than anyone else some people are overpaid some people are underpaid.

I think you will find that the "issue" is actualy people who cant afford a house, demanding a free house where one doesnt exist while turning down a free house in an area which they deem unsuitable.
    People carnt afford a house because they are paid low wages.
    There is no reason why housing should not be available for all, its achievable if the will was there.

Beggars certainly can be choosers in Ireland.
    I would argue why on earth are there beggars in Ireland in 2020

I agree with a lot of what you say Mick, but the fact is we don't yet have enough social housing to allow people to be able to pick and choose.

Even when Sinn Fein get to build all the social housing Eoin O'Broin promises (and how many council houses were built when SF controlled Dublin City Council?) most people still won't be able to live beside their mammies.

If she does get a house in Nenagh, she will likely be living next door to working people originally from Limerick or Dublin who have had to leave their mammies and their support networks behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Actually most working families can buy a home.

so no, most people cannot buy a home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

What if both of the people on 30k are working in Dublin?

Working people should be able to afford a home reasonably close to where they work.

A 200k house available with a train that takes 20 mins into city centre???

so no, most people cannot buy a home

So your saying anyone that works can buy a house but people that don’t can’t?

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So your saying anyone that works can buy a house but people that don’t can’t?

my original question was, can a person buy a house, by the looks of things, no they cant

ive noticed many who believe in neoclassical economics suffer with whats called dichotomous thinking, i.e. black and white thinking, but this is not a true reflection of human behavior, we are in fact complex emotional beings, i suspect neoclassical was actually designed by people with the same issues.

again, the rapid rise in house prices globally has actually occurred due to the thinking, rising asset prices are always good, so this is what has occurred, largely due to the increase in availability of credit, it has little or nothing to do with the rise of women in the workforce

Good example of dichotomous thinking there :)

Augeo wrote: »
    Good example of dichotomous thinking there :)

this is facts, loads of data and research out there confirming it, theres a reason why we had a 'credit crisis'!

this is facts, loads of data and research out there confirming it, theres a reason why we had a 'credit crisis'!

You reckon rising house prices in Ireland has little or nothing to do with the rise of women in the workforce ?
    That's total and utter horsesh1t.
    Dual income applicants are obviously a HUGE factor in house prices rising, that is a fact.

my original question was, can a person buy a house, by the looks of things, no they cant

So who is it that is buying the houses? Goats?

So who is it that is buying the houses? Goats?

people and business such as investment groups etc

Augeo wrote: »
    You reckon rising house prices in Ireland has little or nothing to do with the rise of women in the workforce ?
    That's total and utter horsesh1t.
    Dual income applicants are obviously a HUGE factor in house prices rising, that is a fact.

I think it was THE biggest factor.

If you send all of the women home today. Dont let them work anymore.
    Actually to be PC lets just say one job only is allowed per couple and everyone else must give up their job and not earn.
    We know what will happen to property prices?

people and business such as investment groups etc

So a person can buy a house then?

So a person can buy a house then?

but according to this thread, they cant, but people can

but according to this thread, they cant, but people can

So what exactly are YOU saying then?

• Advertisement

So what exactly are YOU saying then?

my original question was, can a person buy a house, and by the looks of things, most people cant, to relate this all back to the thread, theres a cohort of people in society who simply cannot get access to the housing market, and many probably never will, this includes some well educated people. many who believe in free market economics, i,e, neoclassical, will default when failure occurs to, 'personal responsibility' including some politicians, but our reality is far more complex that this, at some stage we ll need to be big boys and girls and step up and accept this, its time for something different, we re running out of time, as we re becoming deeply unstable, politically, socially, economically and environmentally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

I think I’ve got more chances of winning the EuroMillions jackpot than of her taking up a job.

The issue is, we’ve created a society where it’s more advantageous to sit at home on your butt and let the workers subsidise the feckless. If welfare was reduced to the point where it didn’t pay to be unemployed, then our economy could contribute to better outcomes for all.
    Wages are tied to scarcity and demand; a solicitor or accountant has more training than a cleaner. There are more people equipped to clean than there are equipped to be a solicitor, so solicitors get paid more. If you want to earn more money it’s up to you to gain skills in that area. Its the same for electricians, nurses, stock traders, whatever. And if you’ve put the time and energy into upskilling, working hard etc, you deserve a decent quality of life. If you’ve not a significant effort to better yourself, then you should be grateful for any assistance and not be arrogant and delusional to demand a five bedroom free house next door to your Ma’s. Choices are reserved for workers.

I would argue that we have created a society that benefits the rich and powerful.

I would argue a solicitor has a better education than most cleaners and gets better training from within that industry yes and in so are treated as a human. In many cases cleaners training on the job is not as good because the clients want the job done quick and cheap as possible with little to no reguard who does it. This in turn gives less time for training.Then when something goes wrong im the majority of times the cleaner will be shown the door. When the solicitor has done something wrong then we are told going forward lessons have been learned or its unprofessional to comment.

Cleaning skills are as important in socitey than that of a solicitor

No one job should pay more than another if you want equality.

This attitude in turns de humans a cleaner.

This is the society we have created a job that during the virus was classed as essentia

I would argue that all the jobs you stated are as important as the next. No one person should feel or show they are better than another.

I have no idea what this thread is about anymore.

Nice to see that the rest of the media didn’t jump on this story and give her the infamy she was craving.

If they have a job, yes

If not then no

Are you still confused?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If they have a job, yes

If not then no

Are you still confused?

but according to the opinions on this thread, most people cannot buy a home

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I would argue that we have created a society that benefits the rich and powerful.

I would argue a solicitor has a better education than most cleaners and gets better training from within that industry yes and in so are treated as a human. In many cases cleaners training on the job is not as good because the clients want the job done quick and cheap as possible with little to no reguard who does it. This in turn gives less time for training.Then when something goes wrong im the majority of times the cleaner will be shown the door. When the solicitor has done something wrong then we are told going forward lessons have been learned or its unprofessional to comment.

Cleaning skills are as important in socitey than that of a solicitor

No one job should pay more than another if you want equality.

This attitude in turns de humans a cleaner.

This is the society we have created a job that during the virus was classed as essentia

I would argue that all the jobs you stated are as important as the next. No one person should feel or show they are better than another.

In an emergency cleaning situation a solicitor could probably run a hoover over a floor with some degree of competence. It’s unlikely a cleaner could sort out an estate probate.

This of course doesn’t mean that either are more or less entitled to respect and equal regard, but they’re never going to be paid equally. If they were we’d all be cleaners. Well, probably not cleaners. The start would be too early. The guy who sits in a chair beside a sign showing the way to the massive carpet sale. We’d do that. But only when the weather was nice.

Stop talking shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Someone has to work in the lower earning jobs.
    We need people looking after our elderly in care homes, making our morning coffee before work and serving us in restaurants.
    They are an essential part of our society.
    Not everyone can have a high paying professional career, and it doesn’t mean they are any less deserving of a decent quality of life.
    And by decent, I mean the ability to rent or live a reasonable distance from where they work for a fair price and have enough money left over to have a decent/reasonable quality of life.
    Dublin is full of such workers, working in office jobs, takeaways and coffee shops.
    Is the solution really to send them off to Leitrim and expect them to commute that distance twice a day?

Again, I’m not stating they should have the same quality of life or amount of disposable income as say, an accountant or a solicitor.
    But when you only have a few hundred euro left after paying your extortionate rent for the month, you’re extremely close to the poverty line and no one cares. There are no pity parties or government handouts for these people.
    The solution is ‘well get a better job’ - but not everyone can do that.

These people are far more in need than this woman but they don’t get the same consideration, sympathy or air time and there is something very very wrong about that.
    They are totally forgotten about most of the time and it’s not fair.

Susie, stop sending people to Leitrim! We, ooops I meant it, doesn’t exist.

Nope, no such place. Reverse back there a bit into Cavan. :D

my original question was, can a person buy a house, and by the looks of things, most people cant, to relate this all back to the thread, theres a cohort of people in society who simply cannot get access to the housing market, and many probably never will, this includes some well educated people. many who believe in free market economics, i,e, neoclassical, will default when failure occurs to, 'personal responsibility' including some politicians, but our reality is far more complex that this, at some stage we ll need to be big boys and girls and step up and accept this, its time for something different, we re running out of time, as we re becoming deeply unstable, politically, socially, economically and environmentally

There have always been people who cannot buy a house.

The only time anybody at all could buy a house was 2000s. And we know where that lead to.
    If you earn low figure relative to those bidding against you, you are going to be outbid.
    So do you think we should just give everyone a house who wants one?
    Then what about the people who want to buy one?

• Advertisement

Susie, stop sending people to Leitrim! We, ooops I meant it, doesn’t exist.

Nope, no such place. Reverse back there a bit into Cavan. :D

Any good deal on houses in Letrim?
    Id buy one.

Advertisement