Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child's electric guitar goes out of tune easily

• 16-05-2021 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hello, bought my son an electric guitar, half size, keeps going out of tune after 5-10 minutes. He has it since Christmas, plays it often and I've tried stretching the strings.

I know non-full size steel string acoustic guitars go out of tune easily so it must be the same with electrics.

Can anyone suggest a child's electric guitar that won't have this issue? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Always tune up to pitch, check if the strings are catching in the nut (you'll hear a click or ping when tuning), try locking the strings onto the tuning peg

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Carraig Fhearghais

Had the same problem with a small "Rockwood" Strat electric I had bought for my Daughter when she was young (many years ago!). I changed the tuners for better quality ones and did not have any more tuning problems. may be worth checking, as often (as far as I have heard) the OEM tuners can regularly 'slip'

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ian OB

Too often, these are regarded more as toys than instruments by the manufacturers & the hardware suffers accordingly. Could it be that the strings are the problem though? Maybe a lighter gauge won't slip as easily?

On the bright side, he'll be able to tune it by ear in no time
    : )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

If the guitar is half decent its probably worthwhile getting a proper setup done by pro to get the frets dressed, nut work, intonation, and probably new tuners. My son also has a Rockwood that had similar issues but now sounds really good.

Advertisement