Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Please report these accounts and if anything sows up I'll ban them and the amins can look into them as well.

Will do.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Now you may think posters are re-regs but we will not act solely on the suspicions of posters - we need to see proper links

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Beasty wrote: »
    Now you may think posters are re-regs but we will not act solely on the suspicions of posters - we need to see proper links

Define proper links - actual posts or style of posts that links certain posters??

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Gatling wrote: »
    Define proper links - actual posts or style of posts that links certain posters??

We have a variety of resources available to us. We're not getting into any details here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭Odhinn

They've had multiple usernames - I can only remember three of the banned a/cs however, and have passed them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Odhinn wrote: »
    There's one on there that has - at the bare minimum - 3 site banned previous accounts, that has been allowed to continue to post under yet another identity. I know the user base of boards is shrinking, but do we really need to tolerate that kind of thing?

There's 2 posters in the Bailey thread who arrive generally around the same time, post the same thing in the same style, abuse other posters and suggest that they're unemployed wasters or similar, and yet no action is taken.

I called this out before and got warned that if I suspected multiple accounts are being used I should report it, even though I'm sure the mods can read the posts the same as the rest of us. Still no sanctions against the user(s) in question though regardless of whether it's a multi account.

I've just called it out again because the same nonsense is occurring again so I fully expect that I'll be the one punished for not following the HR disciplinary procedure that passes for reporting on this site.

Moderation of boards seems to have become an industry in itself in the last few years.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    There's 2 posters in the Bailey thread who arrive generally around the same time, post the same thing in the same style, abuse other posters and suggest that they're unemployed wasters or similar, and yet no action is taken.

I called this out before and got warned that if I suspected multiple accounts are being used I should report it, even though I'm sure the mods can read the posts the same as the rest of us. Still no sanctions against the user(s) in question though regardless of whether it's a multi account.

I've just called it out again because the same nonsense is occurring again so I fully expect that I'll be the one punished for not following the HR disciplinary procedure that passes for reporting on this site.

Moderation of boards seems to have become an industry in itself in the last few years.

The last reported post I can find from you is from over a year ago

Sorry, but I have too many other things to sort out around here than read all the threads in CA

The last reported post I can find from you is from over a year ago

Sorry, but I have too many other things to sort out around here than read all the threads in CA

Well luckily there's 14 other mods to keep an eye on things per the list at the bottom.

Cop out answer by the way. One of the team did see enough previously to complain to me about the reporting processes, but not enough to consider the actual point being made - just as you've just done in fact.

I know you're fond of this multi-layer escalation process across multiple fora that ye have built up, but all it really serves to do is discourage feedback because rather than respond to the issue, the focus is that the wrong form was submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

PM me the names. I will look into it.

However, you do need to lose the “poor me, I’ll get disciplined attitude”. You know that commenting on suspected multiple accounts is not allowed in thread, so I don’t understand why you persist in doing it.

I don't even know which thread you are referring to

You can't be arsed to report stuff but expect action regardless. There a bit of feedback for you

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »

However, you do need to lose the “poor me, I’ll get disciplined attitude”. You know that commenting on suspected multiple accounts is not allowed in thread, so I don’t understand why you persist in doing it.

It is rather obvious to the discerning viewer who the perpetrator is. This sort of passivity in stamping out sock-puppetry is a virtual endorsement of future deeds, and reflects poorly on moderation in the Current Affairs forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭This is it

It is rather obvious to the discerning viewer who the perpetrator is. This sort of passivity in stamping out sock-puppetry is a virtual endorsement of future deeds, and reflects poorly on moderation in the Current Affairs forum.

In fairness, it's obvious to those reading the thread. If you don't report it don't expect it to be actioned, or even looked into. While it may be caught in passing by a mod there's a far higher chance of it being seen if reported.

Back at my laptop so have PM'd you some examples and detail.. cheers
    I don't even know which thread you are referring to

You can't be arsed to report stuff but expect action regardless. There a bit of feedback for you

Snarky feedback noted, but I can play that game too.

I know you are a champion of the convoluted escalation process you've built here with multiple forums and avenues for the same basic functions on what is still just a discussion forum, but the issues I've called out are not exactly uncommon on this site, and a little more proactive monitoring from the mods (all 14 of them in this case!) might go a long way to addressing it, not to mention showing a proactive rather than always reactive approach.
    If ye haven't got the cover to do that, add more people, or replace those who haven't the time for whatever reason.

Let's forego the usual "unpaid volunteers" argument or wagon-circling shall we? Just for once maybe LISTEN to what you're being told by the users ye all depend on to generate the traffic and content.

You personally (and others to be fair) do great work on this site and should be commended for it, but it would really be a step forward if the Mod team (paid or otherwise) stopped getting defensive, started listening to the feedback from many people, about the same issues, and start being a lot more transparent and engaged about what you're doing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The forum is every bit as bad as I expected. A serious number of people posting in bad faith, with no interest in any kind of discussion.

It was claimed that this would have a higher standard of moderation than AH, but I certainly don't think so. In fact, seeing as how posters who were banned from AH for the utter bile they spewed are free to post in CA, it's probably worse. And the most annoying thing is that it was very very easy to predict that all this would happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I reported a load of blatantly racist posts in the latest anti-Traveller thread (the one about the man, who happens to be a Traveller, and who tried to murder a load of people at a graveyard in Louth).

Nasty, bigoted shit like this:
    They are scumbags. Little education beyond their fists and an ability to scam

Most of us are wise to their activities but sadly not all. And they laugh at us every day because they can now due to ethnic status Shyte.

CAB are trying though. I wish them well.
    Fists, slashhooks and mayhem is their version of enjoying themselves.
    Quite A normall occurrence for that cohort at a funeral.
    30% of them end up in prison at some stage of their lives

The rest haven’t been caught

The only posts on that thread that appear to have been carded (not banned, just a pathetic card) are the ones that use blatantly racist epithets like 'pikey' or 'knacker', or the ones that advocate violence. If you went onto a thread about a black person who committed a crime and called all black people 'n-ggers', or one about a gay person and called them all a bunch of 'f-gs', would you get away with an infraction? Why are the rules different when it's Travellers?

Maybe the admins could clarify the rules on making racist posts in the Current Affairs forum. Is it ok to be as racist as you please, as long as you're careful and discreet enough not to use certain terms (in which case, you'll get nothing more than a gentle slap on the wrist)?

Don't get me wrong - it is good that all the far-right shit has been diverted away from After Hours, but it's a pity that no effort appears to have been made to prevent Current Affairs from becoming a playground for bigots.

The standard of moderation there is abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Calling Travellers out for their disproportionate sh*t behaviour isn't "far-right".

Agree that there's been unacceptable posts though and I'm glad to see the cards come out for them.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Calling Travellers out for their disproportionate sh*t behaviour isn't "far-right".

Calling out all Travellers in a thread about a crime carried out by a Traveller is racist.

Do you honestly think the posts I quoted are acceptable?

Calling out all Travellers in a thread about a crime carried out by a Traveller is racist.

Do you honestly think the posts I quoted are acceptable?

If you quoted my post in full you'd have your answer there in black and white.

Omackeral wrote: »
    If you quoted my post in full you'd have your answer there in black and white.

But cards did not come out for those posts. No warnings, no infractions, nothing.

But cards did not come out for those posts. No warnings, no infractions, nothing.

Ok well that's not on me! Some of them are cardable IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭blackwhite

That thread is full of abuse thrown at anyone who doesn't join in with the circle-jerk TBH - and little consequence for anyone doling out the abuse.

There's very little moderation happening in CA full stop - it's already trundling down the path of the first incarnation of Politics Cafe. Trench warfare with the rules of the site seemingly set aside in favour of as many clicks as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

I think some folk are taking (what I see) the bait here by these posters.

I don't think they're sock puppet accounts, I think they want you to think that, as then you'll call it out on the thread, get sanctioned/thread gets derailed and possibly closed.

No, what I think is happening is that three individual boards members know each other in a personal capacity, and are working in sequence via pm or other communication to appear in familiar time periods after one another, posting in exactly the same style and using the same insults in an effort to wind posters up, and get the end result of what I just mentioned above.

It's trolling, but technically not breaking any rules, so hard to put a stop to it is my guess.

They're playing some folk like fiddles, I just laugh at them now though, the act went stale ages ago.

I don't think they're sock puppet accounts, I think they want you to think that, as then you'll call it out on the thread, get sanctioned/thread gets derailed and possibly closed.

No, what I think is happening is that three individual boards members know each other in a personal capacity, and are working in sequence via pm or other communication to appear in familiar time periods after one another, posting in exactly the same style and using the same insults in an effort to wind posters up, and get the end result of what I just mentioned above.

It's trolling, but technically not breaking any rules, so hard to put a stop to it is my guess.

They're playing some folk like fiddles, I just laugh at them now though, the act went stale ages ago.

This is exactly whats going on in some threads seems CA has attracted a lot of recently registered posters all with similar posts and attempts at baiting

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This is exactly whats going on in some threads seems CA has attracted a lot of recently registered posters all with similar posts and attempts at baiting

We do our best to keep on top of them, but this has been a problem across contentious threads for a while now. It probably just looks more prevalent as CA has now become the home for many controversial threads.

We do our best to keep on top of them, but this has been a problem across contentious threads for a while now. It probably just looks more prevalent as CA has now become the home for many controversial threads.

It's still new though , several well known posters reappeared under the same names but added a number to their old account essentially giving them a clean record again.

I'm not reporting posts on one particular thread due to the same names from politics ,Ah and PC have all appeared in here ,
    The ignore button works fine enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭This is it

It's still new though , several well known posters reappeared under the same names but added a number to their old account essentially giving them a clean record again.

I'm not reporting posts on one particular thread due to the same names from politics ,Ah and PC have all appeared in here ,
    The ignore button works fine enough for me

How are they getting a clean slate? If mods know they had another account then it's taken into consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If you want to clean out the shi't from the shed you need a shovel - the report post icon is the tool to use. On a broader note, has somewhere which breeds these types closed in the last year or so? It used to be so much less fractious and deliberately contentious around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

If you want to clean out the shi't from the shed you need a shovel - the report post icon is the tool to use. On a broader note, has somewhere which breeds these types closed in the last year or so? It used to be so much less fractious and deliberately contentious around here.

A lot of Trump related subs and right wing Twitter accounts and Youtube channels are being closed down due to their hateful rhetoric. The cultists are finding new homes. Reported posts seem to be given a pass a lot of the time. I think it's more down to enforcement choices than awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The lads in question were suspected of being just that months ago on the crypto subforums.
    Syntax and grammar are too similar IMO for them not to be ;)

Creative use of a VPN and some Social Media tool like Lithium thats probably being paid for by Fine Gael ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This is it wrote: »
    How are they getting a clean slate? If mods know they had another account then it's taken into consideration.

Think I know at least a couple of the poster's you mean but TBH as long as they closed the original a count before opening the new one I don't see the issue.
    Also IMO it shows a degree of honesty in that they aren't trying to hide away and reappear as a "new" poster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement