Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The posts of yours he was responding to were dripping in sarcasm. When he replied in kind, you get all outraged? I'd say if you want people to be polite to you, you should be polite to them.

Sauce for the goose and all that...

Not at all.. This whole CA forum idea WAS discussed long ago when it would have been far more effective but went nowhere, so to be making a big deal about it now is a bit ridiculous. It doesn't take that long to add a forum!
    Also, the moment has likely passed at this point, as has the notion that AH must be for fun trivialities.. That's just not reflecting the actual usage.

As for how the thing was announced, pulling the same stunt as the widely derided AH Day last year, and FPC's attitude therein would surely have been seen as a "bad idea" if the whole idea was considered properly.

As for FPC himself.. I stand by everything I said there. How he continues to get away with trolling users, hiding behind the mod title or "I'm the dopey mod" is juvenile nonsense and wouldn't be tolerated from most other posters.

Boards clearly wants to have it both ways - multiple forums for feedback (largely used to circle wagon and pile on by the mods) and hr style disciplinary and appeal processes... But then claim that they're (mostly) all volunteers and not subject to the standards and expectations of such an approach.

Personally we need input from actual staff on all of these multiple and long ongoing issues as to what kind of site they want and approaches taken. Boards is a business not a small community with a few mates talking about pc games anymore.

Time to take the responsibility to your users and customers a lot more seriously. Consistent moderation, proper vetting, expected to set a standard, and an effective and efficient complaints process that actually considers the usually very well thought out points on this forum.

As someone who works in service delivery myself there's no way I or my teams would get away with treating the users as happens repeatedly on this site (hence the same complaints and threads time and time again).

Maybe it's time to consider that seriously rather than getting offended and defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

mike_ie wrote: »
    From a mod/admin perspective, I would like to see discussion around the merits of moving a thread, before a decision is made. So for example, if a thread about some topical event is predominantly 'silliness' as you describe, then it should stay in AH. However, if a thread is topical and gets taken over by debate and discussion, it should be moved to Current Affairs/IMHO, where slightly tighter moderation will hopefully stop it spiralling into the vitriol we've seen in AH as of late.

Decisions would be made on a thread by thread basis of course, which is why I would imagine it would be discussed in the mods forum first, rather than a "it mentions a political figure - move it" approach.

Can't go moving a thread mid flow,you know it doesn't work.
    People don't follow to another forum and the good folks in the other forum won't read through to catch up.
    Either close it or start a new thread on the same topic in the new forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Not at all.. This whole CA forum idea WAS discussed long ago when it would have been far more effective but went nowhere, so to be making a big deal about it now is a bit ridiculous. It doesn't take that long to add a forum!
    Also, the moment has likely passed at this point, as has the notion that AH must be for fun trivialities.. That's just not reflecting the actual usage.
    That's your opinion. Just because it's your opinion doesn't make it fact. The CA forum is online now and you may just have to accept that fact.
    As for how the thing was announced, pulling the same stunt as the widely derided AH Day last year, and FPC's attitude therein would surely have been seen as a "bad idea" if the whole idea was considered properly.

As for FPC himself.. I stand by everything I said there. How he continues to get away with trolling users, hiding behind the mod title or "I'm the dopey mod" is juvenile nonsense and wouldn't be tolerated from most other posters.
    You were replied to in true AH style and you chose, and it is a choice you made, to go into meltdown mode instead of accepting it for the playful tip it was. You were tipped with a feather and went down like you were hit by an Articulated lorry going at 120kph. From the AH charter...
    After hours is the place to come on boards where general discussion can be light-hearted. The aim here is to have a bit of a laugh and not to piss anybody off while doing so.
    That there is what AH is supposed to be, there has to be give and take. And some enjoyment as well. You cannot honestly expect to be able to take potshots at will and then complain that shots were returned.

It was a playful poke, suck it up and move on.
    Boards clearly wants to have it both ways - multiple forums for feedback (largely used to circle wagon and pile on by the mods) and hr style disciplinary and appeal processes... But then claim that they're (mostly) all volunteers and not subject to the standards and expectations of such an approach.

Personally we need input from actual staff on all of these multiple and long ongoing issues as to what kind of site they want and approaches taken. Boards is a business not a small community with a few mates talking about pc games anymore.

Time to take the responsibility to your users and customers a lot more seriously. Consistent moderation, proper vetting, expected to set a standard, and an effective and efficient complaints process that actually considers the usually very well thought out points on this forum.

As someone who works in service delivery myself there's no way I or my teams would get away with treating the users as happens repeatedly on this site (hence the same complaints and threads time and time again).

Maybe it's time to consider that seriously rather than getting offended and defensive.
    The rest is outside my purview so I'll leave somebody else deal with that, if they so choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,176 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

_Kaiser_ you make this big ordeal of blatant trolling on the announcement meant thread. We've always said don't feed the trolls if you believe somebody is trolling.

You click into a thread and reply to it giving out about last years announcement and how a Current Affairs forum won't cut it this time around.
    Seriously man get over yourself. It was meant to have being a bit of light hearted fun.

Users get discussed by people from time to time some more that others. You dive into a fun light heard thread moaning and giving out. Instead of just moving on. So, you do attract attention.

I have not much else to say to you.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Sorry to snip quote, but it's a long post :)

While you are right, Outlaw Pete, that users can ignore threads that they don't want to read, it becomes much more difficult when there's an entire page that's focused on serious topics and you just want to talk about where you are, trivial things that annoy you, funny houses to rent, etc. Yes, you can click through to following pages (but users often don't and if you're using the My Forums tab, this is less feasible).

Similarly, some people could ignore certain posts (let's say DOGE memes), but there was enough of them to warrant a dedicated thread over in Cool Pics..., so people could outright ignore them rather than having to scroll past while still getting to enjoy the content they came for. If it's a case of someone wanting disagreeing positions off Boards altogether, that hasn't happened. If someone is following a thread, they are still going to be following it in a new forum.

Non-PC views are one thing (and that is quite a broad term, so yes in some cases they are going to be an issue), and how they are expressed is another. Reported posts and recent Feedback threads would however indicate that some users with such views are being given too much leeway. And others feel like the opposite is true / those that debate with such users are overstepping the mark. As Mike said, there are threads that will need closer moderation.

As you said, After Hours is a tough gig and it always has been. We will often come back to discussions about moderation; as I've said in the past, some people will feel there's too much, some will feel it's too little. I see these polarising stances regularly and did in my pre-staff Boards life too. As a result, "less hassle" is not a term I think will ever apply when it comes to moderation :)

Again, just snipping for screen space considerations but thank you for your points.

Some people thought AH Day was fun, some thought it was a disaster. It was a polarising event, which in itself reflects how AH was being pulled in two different directions.

AH being lighthearted is in the charter; it is no different to how topics should be treated seriously over in Personal Issues, for example. And if the tone there was to start changing, there would be pushback from moderation / a discussion over whether there needed to be a forum split to cater for people who want fun suggestions to their problems (though some of those come to After Hours) vs those who need serious advice.

While some users haven't been using After Hours for light hearted discussion or debate, others have. And now we have forums for both, which should help us strike a balance.

Most, if not all, new forums are announced. It doesn't take long to flick the switch to have a forum activated, true. However, this is a forum that is being set up in response to discussion topics, feedback, etc. You're looking at dealing with the largest forum on Boards and a broad range of viewpoints over what it and moderation should be. There has been plenty discussed because as Mike said above, we're hoping to strike a balance and satiate those looking for fun and those looking for serious. There was a lot to consider, so while it took a while, it wasn't just a matter of starting a new forum.

Where there is something to be announced, you will find the news in the Announcements forum (and I'm going to use this opportunity to highlight the monthly update) and often in Feedback depending on the matter at hand. I wouldn't depend on a thread in After Hours, especially if you feel like an announcement thread the previous year was a red herring.

Mods are volunteers, but also human. I have said in the past that perfect consistency is an impossibility, but we give Mods tools and guidelines to help them do the best job that they can. While we have cards and a dispute process for users, there are processes in place to highlight Mod issues, including reported posts, CMods and Admin oversight, Help Desk and Feedback. And any arising issues are discussed from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So its a less moderated version of AH but supposedly for "serious" topics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How to undermine the whole charter.
    We reserve the right to delete any post for any or no reason whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Can a message “moved from After Hours” etc be posted in threads that are moved from AH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Can a message “moved from After Hours” etc be posted in threads that are moved from AH?

Where about's Dougal, in the title,op or when its moved stick in a note?. Good idea worth doing but wanna get it right.

Nosnon wrote: »
    Where about's Dougal, in the title,op or when its moved stick in a note?. Good idea worth doing but wanna get it right.

When it’s moved, just a short in-thread note would be good.

• Advertisement

When it’s moved, just a short in-thread note would be good.

But then it gets buried. Would something like this(using as an example)

"Boris Johnson in a bit of strife(AH-CA)"

This is just me and you spit balling. The other mods and admins need to have a look also.

But then it gets buried. Would something like this(using as an example)

"Boris Johnson in a bit of strife(AH-CA)"

This is just me and you spit balling. The other mods and admins need to have a look also.

I suppose there’s probably no harm in having both. I often have a couple of AH tabs open and come back to threads when I have time, might not necessarily have a look at the thread title again when browsing so might miss the changeover, if you do both I suppose every base is covered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Really odd the selection of threads to be moved.

How is the Iran-Trump thread not moved for example?

I don't really understand the point of the forum. Do all stories like "Complaints that chocolate bar is racist" be put in current affairs forum? Is after hours just for threads like "What's your biggest regret in life?" now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Really odd the selection of threads to be moved.

How is the Iran-Trump thread not moved for example?

I don't really understand the point of the forum. Do all stories like "Complaints that chocolate bar is racist" be put in current affairs forum? Is after hours just for threads like "What's your biggest regret in life?" now?

It will be, we're phasing the older threads in over time.

So is the current affairs forum serious or can jokes be made?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

May take a bit of time - still 112,000+ threads to work through

:P:P

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So is the current affairs forum serious or can jokes be made?

No problem with jokes per se. The forum is in the "Social and Fun" category after all

However it really depends on the joke itself. If you think it will offend/insult/ridicule other posters then don't post it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Beasty wrote: »
    No problem with jokes per se. The forum is in the "Social and Fun" category after all

However it really depends on the joke itself. If you think it will offend/insult/ridicule other posters then don't post it

Which would be site wide and not just the new forum, one would assume...

This is it wrote: »
    Which would be site wide and not just the new forum, one would assume...

Pretty much, yes, although forums like Politics do have quite strict posting rules

One of the issues is posters interpret things differently than may be sometimes intended, and it's better to err on the side of caution. If someone is not sure if others will take offence, then why post (unless perhaps they do want to cause offence)? If mods can interpret it as offensive then don't be surprised if mods act accordingly

Poking fun at the likes of Trump and Putin,when it's clearly in jest, should not be a problem, as, AFAIK, neither have personal Boards accounts. Not sure about the KGB and CIA mind:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Pretty much, yes, although forums like Politics do have quite strict posting rules

One of the issues is posters interpret things differently than may be sometimes intended, and it's better to err on the side of caution. If someone is not sure if others will take offence, then why post (unless perhaps they do want to cause offence)? If mods can interpret it as offensive then don't be surprised if mods act accordingly

Poking fun at the likes of Trump and Putin,when it's clearly in jest, should not be a problem, as, AFAIK, neither have personal Boards accounts. Not sure about the KGB and CIA mind:pac:

>.>

• Advertisement

What about jokes about a womans nipples? ;)

Send a pic of said nips to all the mods and we'll judge on a case by case basis:D

Send a pic of said nips to all the mods and we'll judge on a case by case basis:D

a pointed response

Please do not bring your specific gripes into this thread

If you have an issue with the mod/admin instruction in a thread today, please take it up directly with that Admin via PM

Thanks

Please do not bring your specific gripes into this thread

If you have an issue with the mod/admin instruction in a thread today, please take it up directly with that Admin via PM

Thanks

I tried. Got no response. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I tried. Got no response. :o

Apologies, I genuinely thought I had responded to your PM, but I can see now that I hadn’t. My in-thread response however, gives the the same explanation.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110516621&postcount=93

If you want to continue to focus this, then I suggest that we go back to pm, or else address it in another forum. It is not relevant here.

4 stickied thread redirects from AH to CA now.

AH is looking like Limerick Junction. Is any limit going to be put on the number of stickied threads? Keep this up and the entire front page of AH will be unusable.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

4 stickied thread redirects from AH to CA now.

AH is looking like Limerick Junction. Is any limit going to be put on the number of stickied threads? Keep this up and the entire front page of AH will be unusable.

I deliberately staggered four thread moves across the course of a day. As the redirects expire (they are for 24 hours), you should notice them fall off the page shortly.

Why is it called IMHO too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Must say it's actually working out well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement