Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Comments

• Tipperary TD Mattie McGrath to lead Rural Independent Group in talks with Fianna Fail leader Miceal Martin today
    TALKS ON GOVERNMENT FORMATION
    26 Feb 2020
    Tipperary TD Mattie McGrath to lead Rural Independent Group in talks with Fianna Fail leader Miceal Martin today
    Tipperary TD Mattie McGrath and Fianna Fail leader Miceal Martin will meet on government formation talks

The Rural Independent Group is set to meet with Fianna Fail leader Micheál Martin and members of his negotiating team at 11am this morning.

The meeting is part of a series of ongoing engagements that the Rural Group are participating in, in order to bring about what it describes as ‘the formation of a viable and durable government.’

Convenor of the Rural Independent Group, Mattie McGrath, went on to say that “the priority has to be about bringing an end to the political posturing so that major public concerns arounds health and housing can be addressed:”

“The Rural Independent Group is very aware that the people we represent, and indeed people generally, do not have time to wait while the main political parties dance around the issue of getting down to business and bringing about a platform for significant policy change.

We have always said that we are willing to be constructive and play our part. That is the approach we will be taking in to our meeting this morning with Fianna Fail. We hope and expect this attitude to be reciprocated,”
    *******************(****************
    From Tipperary live on FB........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Expunge

And on Mattie's shopping list....

A new Castel Gandolfo (summer palace) for the Pope at Knocklofty
    Newcastle/Ballybacon/Grange International Airport........
    Harvard University (Ardfinnan Campus)
    Eiffel Tower Replica (and a metro) for Cahir
    Knockmealdowns European Space Observatory
    The Liam Lynch International Centre for Conflict Resolution

...... and no more f*cking carbon taxes on the humble briquette or sod of turf!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Full of hot air Mattie, going around commenting on political posturing when the man hasn't shown any forthcoming on who he intends to back yet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Expunge wrote: »
    And on Mattie's shopping list....

A new Castel Gandolfo (summer palace) for the Pope at Knocklofty
    Newcastle/Ballybacon/Grange International Airport........
    Harvard University (Ardfinnan Campus)
    Eiffel Tower Replica (and a metro) for Cahir
    Knockmealdowns European Space Observatory
    The Liam Lynch International Centre for Conflict Resolution

...... and no more f*cking carbon taxes on the humble briquette or sod of turf!

Can't believe he's not pushing for a Port in Tipp, with Brexit coming down the tracks and all........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Can't believe he's not pushing for a Port in Tipp, with Brexit coming down the tracks and all........

Mattie will loose out by not including an airport for Borrisoleigh.
    And of course there should be two ports in Tipperary one on the Shannon in Portroe and another on the Suir in Kilsheelan.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Expunge

Oh and I forgot one more.....

A verifiable Marian apparition on McGrath land or at least in the back of McCarra's Londis in Newcastle.

His good mate Pope Francis and flakey Bishop Fonsie to help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

The two Fine Gael members who failed to win seats in the General Election have been nominated to contest seats in the Seanad Election.

Feb 21, 2020 - NOMINATED BY VETERINARY COUNCIL OF IRELAND Mary Newman Julian has confirmed that she has received a nomination to contest the forthcoming Seanad Election from the Veterinary Council of Ireland (VCI). ... She has been nominated by the Veterinary Council of Ireland as a candidate on the Cultural and Educational panel.

The decision by Fine Gael to back Tipperary general election candidate Garret Ahearn for the Seanad elections is also a surprise. The decision is despite the fact that Ms O'Connell's sister, Mary Newman Julian, who also ran in Tipperary for the party in the general election, has already been nominated for the Seanad race by an outside body.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

This is why we need to change the way the Seanad members are elected / or the Seanad full stop. Jobs for the boys, they weren’t elected as TDS, the electorate didn’t want them, so they shove them down our throats as Senators - ridiculous.

Yeah many people voted to keep the Seanad on the basis of reformation discussion preceding that referendum it got no further than discussion as soon as the votes were cast of course.

• Yeah many people voted to keep the Seanad on the basis of reformation discussion preceding that referendum it got no further than discussion as soon as the votes were cast of course.

Reform was never on the agenda. The only options given were keep the Seanad as is. Or abolish. We weren’t given the option to vote for reform or reduction of numbers, which most people would have gone for.

• Advertisement

We, the people, not the elitist clubs, should vote for the Senators - if indeed we need a Seanad - at the same time as we vote for the General Election - they should be linked - that way they don't offload their unwanted TDs on us in another form. They must think we are right mugs.

Reform was never on the agenda. The only options given were keep the Seanad as is. Or abolish. We weren’t given the option to vote for reform or reduction of numbers, which most people would have gone for.

Who's under any illusions what we were asked?

I only pointed out the tales told at the time...

And stating the obvious in keeping the Seanad it does keep the apparent possibility option open; that all ends and probably should have with abolition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

This is why we need to change the way the Seanad members are elected / or the Seanad full stop. Jobs for the boys, they weren’t elected as TDS, the electorate didn’t want them, so they shove them down our throats as Senators - ridiculous.
    we do need to change how senators are elected but cant simply be same method as dail is electedm
    you were never going to get a vote on various ways to have seanad.
    We, the people, not the elitist clubs, should vote for the Senators - if indeed we need a Seanad - at the same time as we vote for the General Election - they should be linked - that way they don't offload their unwanted TDs on us in another form. They must think we are right mugs.
    I dont think it should be elected in the same way as the dail. Keep the panels but expand who can vote for the various panels to people(experts) who work in those fields. That would be good enough.

I dont think it should be elected in the same way as the dail. Keep the panels but expand who can vote for the various panels to people(experts) who work in those fields. That would be good enough.

No its not good enough and we should vote for them - why should some unaccountable person get to make decisions for me or anyone else for that matter and who chooses who these so called experts are? And why can’t we vote for them at the same time as a general election? We are capable at filling in two ballot papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

No its not good enough and we should vote for them - why should some unaccountable person get to make decisions for me or anyone else for that matter and who chooses who these so called experts are? And why can’t we vote for them at the same time as a general election? We are capable at filling in two ballot papers.

I think we’ve enough in one dail!! Essentially you’re looking for a second one.

The Seanad is some waste. Unfortunately the great unwashed saw fit to keep it in the referendum.

I spoil my Seanad vote every chance I get.

I actually voted to abolish it but seeing as we have it, I don’t want washed up would be TD being foisted on me, I want to vote for them.

digzy wrote: »
    I think we’ve enough in one dail!! Essentially you’re looking for a second one.

The Seanad is some waste. Unfortunately the great unwashed saw fit to keep it in the referendum.

I spoil my Seanad vote every chance I get.
    why spoil your vote? It's such a waste. If you have a vote give it towards even just one person who can actually do something useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

If we end up going back to the polls, as many are saying we could be, is anyone expecting different results in Tipperary? Joe Hannigan has bowed out so there's a lot of 1st preferences there for the taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

julyjane wrote: »
    If we end up going back to the polls, as many are saying we could be, is anyone expecting different results in Tipperary? Joe Hannigan has bowed out so there's a lot of 1st preferences there for the taking.

I suppose a lot depends on Sinn Fein? Surely they will run extra candidates in a lot of constituencies to mop up their own surpluses instead of transferring them elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Sinn Féin did well getting one seat in Tipp, even with the latest polls it's hard to see them winning 2 but they might run 2 anyway. I wonder would Seamus Healy win his seat back and at who's expense. If Alan Kelly wins labour leadership vote he might do better this time

• Advertisement

• julyjane wrote: »
    Sinn Féin did well getting one seat in Tipp, even with the latest polls it's hard to see them winning 2 but they might run 2 anyway. I wonder would Seamus Healy win his seat back and at who's expense. If Alan Kelly wins labour leadership vote he might do better this time

I doubt FF would run 3 candidates again. The two ladies got a bruising.

why spoil your vote? It's such a waste. If you have a vote give it towards even just one person who can actually do something useful.

No it’s not. I believe the Seanad should be abolished. I won’t give any of them a mandate. I get the usual leaflets from people I’ve never heard of in the lead up. Have you watched any of the footage of it? It’s a joke.
    By spoiling a vote it sends a message ( albeit minuscule).
    What ‘something useful’ has been done by the Seanad over the course of its last term?

I doubt FF would run 3 candidates again. The two ladies got a bruising.

Aren’t they obliged to comply with the gender quota? Obviously we’d like a gender balance in the dail, but the electorate shouldn’t be manipulated

I don’t think there will be another election - Micheal Martin wants to be Taoiseach and if FG don’t play ball, FF will go in with SF otherwise FF will have another leadership contest. If there is another election, SF should run two candidates in every constituency - IMO they will get more votes - this messing about by the two big parties is annoying us all - we need a government and we need it now.

digzy wrote: »
    No it’s not. I believe the Seanad should be abolished. I won’t give any of them a mandate. I get the usual leaflets from people I’ve never heard of in the lead up. Have you watched any of the footage of it? It’s a joke.
    By spoiling a vote it sends a message ( albeit minuscule).
    What ‘something useful’ has been done by the Seanad over the course of its last term?
    spoiling your vote doesnt do anything though. Abolishing the seanad gives the dail too much power and a tripartite system is so much stronger. I have watched coverage. I have a good friend who has been nominated to run for one of the panels.
    Spoiling your vote doesnt send a message unless you have a considerable percentage who would and that isnt going to happen.
    Seanad can revise laws from dail which keeps the lower house in check. Removing the seanad doesnt help that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

julyjane wrote: »

If there is an election in the next 12 months

Sinn Fein will run two candidates. Publically in the hope of taking two seats. In reality in the hope of getting someone coherent to take the seat and get Browne off the two seats in the front row of the Dail he is currently filling everytime Mary Lou is on Camera. They will hold one seat

FF will run 2 candidates. Cahill in the North and Ambrose in Clonmel to try and fill the gap left by Healy.
    FG will run whichever of Aherne or Kate O'Connell's sister gets a senate seat. If neither win a senate seat then they will run Michael Murphy.
    FF/FG will hold just one seat. Probably Cahill

Healy won't run. His organisation may run Pat English but he won't have the name recognition outside Clonmel.

Lowery will run and hold his seat

Kelly will run and hold his seat

Mattie will run and hold his seat.

No one else matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ Alexia Beautiful Baton

Healy said he may run if it was within a year. Shinners will target Healys seat and transfer to their own as well as any FF challenge to Healy. Ambrose is a lightweight and no one would take her serious

Healy said he may run if it was within a year. Shinners will target Healys seat and transfer to their own as well as any FF challenge to Healy. Ambrose is a lightweight and no one would take her serious

SF took Healy's seat. No point in targeting it other than the desire to, shall we say, trade up from Browne.

I don't think FF will take a second seat and in fact will have a fight to keep Cahill's one. But Ambrose is the only feasible 2nd candidate they have. Goldsboro came across very poorly in the election (posters of a young polished, well dressrd lady and on the doorstep & social media she looked anything but). Image might not be everything but the difference was so stark it came across as deceitful. Farrell was an unmitigated disaster. Smith Jr might want to run again but he is in the North so no way Cahill lets him run. No one else they have stands even a slight chance. So it's a Cahill/Ambrose ticket or a Cahill only ticket which will not go down well in the South of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

How long can the talks (if there’s even any talks still going on, the coronavirus took over the media) between parties go on before another election Is called?

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    How long can the talks (if there’s even any talks still going on, the coronavirus took over the media) between parties go on before another election Is called?

Months.

Advertisement