Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Helping an elderly uncle who isn’t local

• 23-01-2020 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Not an auld fella yet myself but am concerned about an aging uncle. My mother recently died and she had previously looked out for my uncle so I wanted ideas on how My brothers and I could step into the breach and help him if possible.

I would not be local to him and won’t be able to visit him that much.

Could I try and contact An Post and let them know the circumstances and if the postman is regular could he just be aware that my uncle is not very healthy anymore.

Is there other things I could do? In any way that could help. My uncle is wealthy but has never married and never lived all that well. I don’t want to hear that he was found on the floor in a disheveled house.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could organise a homehelp to visit twice a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The local district nurse might be a place to start. I don't think there is any point contacting an post - if the postman noticed something out of the ordinary he might well report it, but he cannot know if, say, the uncle is even at home.

Whatever you do you need to talk to your Uncle, you cannot make arrangements round him, the district nurse would not be able to do anything unless he gave his permission. You might be able to make arrangements to give a very brief phonecall to him each morning, say, just to check that all is ok.

Use the current situation to tell him, and I mean, tell him, you’ll be calling him daily.

Sounds like he might be a bit suborn and independent?

Also, my local SuperValu have a daily service for over 60s - they’ll call and take order for shopping and deliver for free.
    How good is that?

Advertisement