Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How has Covid changed your plans for the summer?

Options
  • 27-05-2020 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

We were lucky to get away to the continent for twelve years in a row starting in 2006 with two young children - aged six and four at the time. We went everywhere and loved every minute. But time moves on and we went nowhere in 2018 due to the eldest having the Leaving Cert. I must say I missed being away but needs must. Last year neither would travel with us - typical teenagers - so Mrs Itiineoman and I slipped away for a week in the UK (North Wales is great by the way and I can't wait to go back) and this year had planned on doing something epic again in Europe. The daughters had even agreed to fly out to meet us somewhere for a week. But Covid has scuppered the plans and I'm going to cancel the boat booking and stay at home.
    So, instead I'm thinking of exploring the beautiful lesser touristy places in Ireland once the restrictions lift- Places like along the Barrow, Around the lakes of the Shannon, and the Wild Atlantic Way.(ok That's touristy i admit)
    I'm a wildcamper/campsite avoider by nature - based on years of Aires/Stelleplatzen/Airee di Sostas when away. Graiguenamanagh is going to be first on the list ( yes it's borderline a campsite but Shhh!) and looking forward to exploring places like Whitegate on Lough Derg again.
    So what's your plan when the MH is back on the road? Will you stay in Ireland? Would you travel overseas? Where would you go first? What do you miss most? For me it's a few pints in a cosy pub parked up near somewhere near open water in Ireland or doing a barbecue of fish or meat bought from a market locally with a glass of wine in my hand somewhere in France.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

This waa to be our 4th French trip in the Motorhome but like yourself it'll be an irish trip.

Where my head is at right now, it'll be 2 weeks touring Mizen / Sheeps Head / Beara / Ivergh peninsulas.

Good selection of Aires down that way and motorhomes are generally welcome. It's that bit further than is practical for us to get to even on a long weekend in normal times so we're going to embrace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,625 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

alias no.9 wrote: »
    This waa to be our 4th French trip in the Motorhome but like yourself it'll be an irish trip.

Where my head is at right now, it'll be 2 weeks touring Mizen / Sheeps Head / Beara / Ivergh peninsulas.

Good selection of Aires down that way and motorhomes are generally welcome. It's that bit further than is practical for us to get to even on a long weekend in normal times so we're going to embrace it.

What camper do you have? Always wanted one

What camper do you have? Always wanted one

6 birth Rimor Superbrig on a Transit Mk7, we've 3 boys so anything smaller would be a challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Itineoman

6 birth Rimor Superbrig on a Transit Mk7, we've 3 boys so anything smaller would be a challenge

Nearly bought one of these new in 2009 - how are you finding it?
    I thought it was a lovely van and the nicest of the Rimors at the time. Also the dearest.

...need more jack stands. Fleet in for overhaul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I'm in the fortunate position of living in Central France and working everywhere else :p so I've been taking advantage of the lockdown (which, ironically, doesn't apply to me ... ) to not go travelling! Although a couple of weekends ago, I did take a wander on foot, to gaze at the forbidden lands of the Black Forest and the Swiss Alps on the other side of the Rhine. :(

But otherwise, I'm finally getting around to doing all the "must get around to that" jobs on the van that haven't quite been got around to over the last few weeks months years.

Itineoman wrote: »
    Nearly bought one of these new in 2009 - how are you finding it?
    I thought it was a lovely van and the nicest of the Rimors at the time. Also the dearest.

We have it a little over 3 years and it works for us. We have the fixed rear bed and the 3 boys sleep in the overcab bed and no faffing about converting the dinette to a bed.

Going to look at making a single bunk in the cab a bit like a cabunk for when we hit the end of the road with the 3 of them in the overcab bed.

I've added solar and a 4G router to give us a bit more freedom to use Aires without hookup or other overnight parking.

Hook-ups..hysteria.gif

5wu4i8n.jpg

We have it a little over 3 years and it works for us. We have the fixed rear bed and the 3 boys sleep in the overcab bed and no faffing about converting the dinette to a bed.

Going to look at making a single bunk in the cab a bit like a cabunk for when we hit the end of the road with the 3 of them in the overcab bed.

I've added solar and a 4G router to give us a bit more freedom to use Aires without hookup or other overnight parking.

Enjoy it while the boys are at that age. You'll make memories for the rest of their lives. Our 19 and 17 year olds are just starting to get nostalgic about the Europe trips. We almost wavered at the weekend over a few glasses and looked at the idea of not cancelling the boat and maybe having them fly over to meet us a few weeks in. We were thinking that if that if things had relaxed then what harm to take the boat and then keep to ourselves in Aires and shop in supermarkets not much different from home. Then we looked at France's ( totally sensible ) travel restrictions and gave up on it right away. Cold light of reality next morning put the idea to bed for good - irresponsible to say the least. A Shame but a first world problem I think.

Hook-ups..hysteria.gif

5wu4i8n.jpg
    People of Ireland if you notice the weather a bit gloomy over the next while you can see where the sunlight is being absorbed.:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Beats extracting it from million year dead dinosaurs. Potent but not efficient by a long shot. :D

Beats extracting it from million year dead dinosaurs. Potent but not efficient by a long shot. :D
    :D:D:D:D:D Still going to blame you for the colder weather that started today.
    What's the output of the panel btw?

It's not my van. I haven't anything new enough to have a seatbelt alarm. :pac:

I'm in the fortunate position of living in Central France and working everywhere else :p so I've been taking advantage of the lockdown (which, ironically, doesn't apply to me ... ) to not go travelling! Although a couple of weekends ago, I did take a wander on foot, to gaze at the forbidden lands of the Black Forest and the Swiss Alps on the other side of the Rhine. :(

But otherwise, I'm finally getting around to doing all the "must get around to that" jobs on the van that haven't quite been got around to over the last few weeks months years.
    You're so lucky to live where you do - back in the good old pre Covid days we traveled them with the MH with the kids and ( mid life crisis -every good one includes a motorcycle ) I did them on the bike.

We were thinking that if that if things had relaxed then what harm to take the boat and then keep to ourselves in Aires and shop in supermarkets not much different from home. Then we looked at France's ( totally sensible ) travel restrictions and gave up on it right away.

What restrictions? Are you looking at out-of-date info? Plenty of campers on the road since the paperwork requirement was dispensed with (not mine, though - need to put wheels and bumpers and lights and things back on first, if I'm to get it through it's CT :pac: ) Borders open up from the 15th, and the French camper dealers are running ads on the radio promoting the advantages of travelling in your own bubble!

What restrictions? Are you looking at out-of-date info? Plenty of campers on the road since the paperwork requirement was dispensed with (not mine, though - need to put wheels and bumpers and lights and things back on first, if I'm to get it through it's CT :pac: ) Borders open up from the 15th, and the French camper dealers are running ads on the radio promoting the advantages of travelling in your own bubble!

I'd need to look at it again but whatever I read seemed fairly conclusive. I'll happily be disabused of the notion as there's nothing i'd like more than to head over. I know from your other posts that you know what you are talking about. I'll dig out whatever I found in the morning and ask what you think.
    :):)

I'd need to look at it again but whatever I read seemed fairly conclusive.

The rules have always been conclusive ... but revised at regular intervals. The last revision was on the 28th May, so if your info dates from before that, it's no longer applicable. ;)

As of 2nd June, there is no longer a 100km limit on journeys, campsites are allowed re-open (whether they do or not is a decision for each site), and bars and restaurants are also allowed serve sit-down meals with appropriate measures.

The announcement on the 28th may confirmed the re-opening of intra-EU borders from the 15th June (note: intra-EU - does not include the UK at this time); and the Germans announced ?yesterday that they're doing the same.

Next review will be on or about the 22nd June.

The rules have always been conclusive ... but revised at regular intervals. The last revision was on the 28th May, so if your info dates from before that, it's no longer applicable. ;)

As of 2nd June, there is no longer a 100km limit on journeys, campsites are allowed re-open (whether they do or not is a decision for each site), and bars and restaurants are also allowed serve sit-down meals with appropriate measures.

The announcement on the 28th may confirmed the re-opening of intra-EU borders from the 15th June (note: intra-EU - does not include the UK at this time); and the Germans announced ?yesterday that they're doing the same.

Next review will be on or about the 22nd June.

Here’s what I was going on.
    https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/france/

https://ie.ambafrance.org/covid19-eng

https://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/frequently-asked-questions/top-10-faqs/coronavirus-covid-19/#restricted

I thought I saw somewhere else that 21 July was the earliest one could expect to move freely. But you’re obviously better placed to to know what’s what on the ground. I’d love to make it happen if at all possible. Is there a source where I can follow this myself?
    Thanks for the helpful advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Been to France for 16 years without a break until this year.. Achill Seal Caves is the destination this year.. I expect it will be our only outing with the caravan for the year where it usually gets 5-6 trips including 3 weeks in France.

Ah right, I see what you're seeing: those are the restrictions in force while the borders are still "closed" - as they are until the 15th June.

As I'm living here, I'm getting the "heads up" information two to three weeks before it comes into force. So were you to travel today you'd have to give a good reason for why you want to come to France ("holidays" isn't enough, you have to fit one of the defined categories) ... but from the middle of the month onwards, "holidays" becomes "help get the tourism industry back on its feet" so all of us Schengenites are expecting those justifications to be dropped.

The domestic/internal restrictions have been progressively reduced over the last several weeks, so if/when you visit, it'll be pretty much business as usual [with masks and social distancing].

• Advertisement

Ah right, I see what you're seeing: those are the restrictions in force while the borders are still "closed" - as they are until the 15th June.

As I'm living here, I'm getting the "heads up" information two to three weeks before it comes into force. So were you to travel today you'd have to give a good reason for why you want to come to France ("holidays" isn't enough, you have to fit one of the defined categories) ... but from the middle of the month onwards, "holidays" becomes "help get the tourism industry back on its feet" so all of us Schengenites are expecting those justifications to be dropped.

The domestic/internal restrictions have been progressively reduced over the last several weeks, so if/when you visit, it'll be pretty much business as usual [with masks and social distancing].

Sounds good to me. If you could give the odd heads up now and again it would be appreciated - Thanks again for the reply:)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

We’ve amended our ferry booking to Spain until after the 20th July (was originally early July) in the slight hope it may go ahead. It will be a different kind of holiday but similar to what we’d experience if we were to spend that time in Ireland. We’d normally have been away every weekend since restrictions were introduced, and would have spent 2 weeks travelling Ireland at Easter as well as all the bank holidays. We haven’t used our Motorhome since February midterm so really looking forward to getting back out there again.

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    We’ve amended our ferry booking to Spain until after the 20th July (was originally early July) in the slight hope it may go ahead. It will be a different kind of holiday but similar to what we’d experience if we were to spend that time in Ireland. We’d normally have been away every weekend since restrictions were introduced, and would have spent 2 weeks travelling Ireland at Easter as well as all the bank holidays. We haven’t used our Motorhome since February midterm so really looking forward to getting back out there again.
    Same here. Van has been parked up since February. I’d booked the ferry to Cherbourg mid-July and it’s beginning to look possible. Luckily I can change to cancel anytime so we’ll sit on it for now and see how things are going at the end of the month.
    If the risks are the same here and abroad then travelling in our own “bubble” as CelticRambler puts it, doesn’t seem to be a bad option.
    We’re aires all the way people so we wouldn’t be caught up in crowds in campsites.
    Jury’s out for now though.

Same here. Van has been parked up since February. I’d booked the ferry to Cherbourg mid-July and it’s beginning to look possible. Luckily I can change to cancel anytime so we’ll sit on it for now and see how things are going at the end of the month.
    If the risks are the same here and abroad then travelling in our own “bubble” as CelticRambler puts it, doesn’t seem to be a bad option.
    We’re aires all the way people so we wouldn’t be caught up in crowds in campsites.
    Jury’s out for now though.

I made the decision to change our ferry last week as I was worried about ferries booking out for later July/August following government announcements and I’m anecdotally hearing of people with property in France and Spain who’d normally fly, now exploring the possibility of ferry travel.
    I have 3 school going children so am restricted with when we take holidays.
    I’m also worried about not getting away next year as ferry (and flight) prices could possibly increase significantly having been non existent for the last 3 months.

Like you were happy to use aires, wed normally spend a week out of 3 at a bells and whistle campsite with water parks etc but I’ve explained to the children that it unlikely to happen this year and they’re happy with the possibility of just getting away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

When will campsites in Ireland reopen anyone any idea.

kerryjack wrote: »
    When will campsites in Ireland reopen anyone any idea.

20th July. But not all are opening. Any I’ve contacted have said they’re only opening to self contained motorhomes and will operate on a aires basis just water, EHU, cassette and grey water emptying (no campers kitchen, toilets, showers). Others haven’t made a decision if they’ll even reopen at all.

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    20th July. But not all are opening. Any I’ve contacted have said they’re only opening to self contained motorhomes and will operate on a aires basis just water, EHU, cassette and grey water emptying (no campers kitchen, toilets, showers). Others haven’t made a decision if they’ll even reopen at all.

Apologies 29th June following government announcement today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pollymv1

I'd a great weekend in my camper in Westmeath. Our country is beautiful in the sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

pollymv1 wrote: »
    I'd a great weekend in my camper in Westmeath. Our country is beautiful in the sunshine.

Is this allowed now, in Phase 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is this allowed now, in Phase 2?
    20km or in your own county whatever is greater.

Advertisement