Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is the satellite tuner on the Sony XH85 range any good?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gelectric

salnado wrote: »
    RTE Player is available and works. Can't comment on Virgin Media Player as I haven't looked for it yet.

I set some scheduled recordings over the weekend. 1 from RTE and a few from Freesat and they all recorded fine to an 8 year old 500Gb HDD that I had spare. The recording interface and playback of the recordings is not as slick as the Humax software but it worked. The Freesat ones are setup as repeat records so I will see what happens when the next episodes come around.

Sounds great, I'm very much torn on whether to stick with the Samsung or go for a new Sony with freesat. I do like the idea of being able to flick between freesat and saorview easily (something that can't be done as quickly on a Samsung) and record off either. With regards to Rte and TG4 players can they just be downloaded from the play store on the TV? I'm presuming because I'm in the north they'll not be on the TV automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Can someone with this TV confirm if the EPG can bu customised in any way? Can channels be renamed/reordered and in the EPG can you turn off the programme description appearing below the title?

If you have normal satellite channels (not on 28.2E) can they be displayed in the same screen as your DTT channels or do they all have separate guides? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

PFML84 wrote: »
    Can someone with this TV confirm if the EPG can bu customised in any way? Can channels be renamed/reordered and in the EPG can you turn off the programme description appearing below the title?

If you have normal satellite channels (not on 28.2E) can they be displayed in the same screen as your DTT channels or do they all have separate guides? Thanks.

With a Freesat EPG (which is a good thing for most users) - channels cannot be renamed or moved. Freesat and DTT will be seperate guides.

What you require can be done with an Enigma2 box. I've Saorview, 28.8E channels and other sat channels in one EPG, fully editable. You won't findt a TV with the same customization capabilities.

I currently am using one that does everything I've mentioned, a Hisense model. DSAT and DTT are in the one guide, and any non 28.2E channels actually carry 7 day EPG info, only 28.2E broadcasts are now/next. Channels can be renamed and reordered easily and the TV is a smart 4K one with USB recording. It's actually a fantastic TV.

I need a new TV for the living room and can't find anywhere selling another of that Hisense TV I'm currently using, hence me asking about the Sony. Might actually stick to Hisense and see about a slightly bigger TV in their newer models.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Sounds like its designed for use in mainland Europe. Try Amazon.de to see if they have something.

• Advertisement

It has Freeview Play built in and a button for it on the remote so it seems to be a UK market TV.

If I could find it in a larger size even that would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 salnado

It’s Definitely Freesat with full guide. Saorview is labelled Freeview and channels are not exactly typical order but all there and guide too. It is very easy to switch between the two tuners. I have a few recordings setup over the weekend and will let you know how they go.

Some pictures attached.

Quick follow up post after using for a month or so. TV is working very well and ease of use is excellent. My only gripe is that recording a series on Freesat does not work. When selecting record on a programme that is part of a series it offers you the option to record the series but all it does is record the first episode. Hopefully this will be fixed in later updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭deezell

Quick follow up post after using for a month or so. TV is working very well and ease of use is excellent. My only gripe is that recording a series on Freesat does not work. When selecting record on a programme that is part of a series it offers you the option to record the series but all it does is record the first episode. Hopefully this will be fixed in later updates.

I've just received delivery of an XH9005, getting to grips with the labyrinthine choices for displaying program lists.
    Did you have to do a firmware update to get Freesat epg? I'm guessing this set might have been in a warehouse pre factory installed Freesat.
    Do you have to set the region to UK to get the Freesat epg?. This was the case initially on my 2017 Samsung Qled, with Saorview ending up unsorted in the 800s channel wise. But when I reset the region to ROI, and the sat tuner reverted to generic, after a few hours Freesat reappeared, complete with Genre filters. Saorview returned, RTE1 on button 1, so it seemed ideal, but no mixed favourites, no mixed recent channel list, and eleven button presses to switch from Sat to Terrestrial is still s pita.

So far on the Sony, I've a favourites list with a straight copy of Saorview list, and with BBC1,2, ITV, C4 and Sky news tagged on at the end. Almost ideal if you could keep it locked to the favourites and not jump back to Digital or Satellite only lists, but it's very easy to swap tuners or reselect favourites. I'm loving the picons on the epg btw. I'll be fiddling with this set for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

If the time of the program does not change you could set it manually. I know it more work. I have an older sony tv and I have to set it manually as it has no series link.

deezell wrote: »
    Did you have to do a firmware update to get Freesat epg? I'm guessing this set might have been in a warehouse pre factory installed Freesat.
    Do you have to set the region to UK to get the Freesat epg?

I set mine up with region as UK and then after I had it for about 24 hours it prompted me to do a firmware update and then the Freesat epg appeared. Mine is the XH8505 so not sure if the Freesat update is also available for your XH9005? It's next to impossible to find info on what Sony models have Freesat (this link has some details but doesn't mention the XH90 models: https://www.simplyelectricals.co.uk/blog/sony-bravia-android-freesat-tvs-launch)

• Advertisement

That's not correct. Some of the larger Sony's have Freesat tuners e.g. kd55xh9005

Ah I see, you had intended buying the xh9005, but were put off maybe by that Simplyelectricals list ? I can't imagine the firmware is so different that the upgrade does not apply to the xh9005. (Aka xh9096 and xh9296). I went for the 9005 after side by side comparison of it and the 8196, the full array LED was noticeably better, stood up well beside a 55 Qled. The 9005 has bluetooth audio, important dealbreaker for late night viewing using the bt headphones.
    I've updated the firmware, no sign of Freesat, probably because i'm still in region IRL. I'll factory reset and start again, it's bound to work, as its listed in Currys as Freesat, albeit with the UK region warning.
    I tried out an android channel listing app, it rescanned Astra, and when done it was still only now next, but sat list was fully expertly sorted and renumbered, with ITV HD and CH4 HD prominent, unlike Freesat which ignores HD versions on it's list. Best features, whose absence tested my patience on my Damsung Qled, it's a few presses to change from Saorview to Sat, and better again, you can mix them in a favourites list, then just horse up and down with the P +/- buttons. Samsung takes 11 presses just to change tuners, favourites are also strictly segregated. Picture is extremely good, upscaling of measly 520 pixel sub SD VM Saorview channels is extremely good. Im nowhere near trying out all the google/alexa stuff, though I cast a streamed match from my laptop to the chromecast, it was as good as the dodgy source. Lots to play with. Oh btw, there's an APK installer app that works on the Android, it might be useful for installing unlisted apps. I tried it with Virgin media Player APK, it said installing but just hung there waiting. I think there's a different file split structure required, I'll have another go later.

Ah I see, you had intended buying the xh9005, but were put off maybe by that Simplyelectricals list ?

I had forgotten that I had posted that :). Background was that I had asked Richer Sounds as to what Sony models had Freesat and they told me the XH9005 did. However I wanted a 50" or smaller and it wasn't available in anything smaller than 55" which was too big for my room so it was no use to me.

Hope the reset to UK works.

It did, no bother. General sat scan also came in with the list fully ordered, albeit with just now/next. Saorview all over the shop, channels start at 800 but its a cinch to order it, and move it to ch1,2 etc. Favourites can combine all three sources, e.g , Ch4 HD is not in Freesat, but its easy to drop it in the favourites list along with all the Freesat equipped channels. I might make a seperate favourites list for swmbo, RTE1, VM1, Sky news. No possibility of getting lost in the epg.
    Must see can I put RTE player back on, it's not available now with the change of region.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭freddy99

I see that Sony have started to update firmware for older Android models to make them Freesat compatible. I have a 2019 XF8096. Has anyone had any success with Freesat on this model? I just don’t want to do a full reset and start from scratch with UK postcode unless it will work.
    Thanks.

freddy99 wrote: »
    I see that Sony have started to update firmware for older Android models to make them Freesat compatible. I have a 2019 XF8096. Has anyone had any success with Freesat on this model? I just don’t want to do a full reset and start from scratch with UK postcode unless it will work.
    Thanks.
    Xf series is not specifically mentioned on any lists, but then there's no mention at all on sony sites of Freesat upgrade. You'll just have to try it. You have to factory reset TV to get the region choice on setup, it's not available as a soft option once setup is completed. Backup your IRL channel lists to USB, in case you revert, it'll save the long Astra scan.
    If Freesat does appear as a tuner choice, it's extremely fast to scan as it just pulls the data from the Freesat epg data TP channel. Saorview will be a mess in the 800s channel range, but it's a cinch to edit, delete and re-number. If you open the IRL channel file backup in notepad, you can change the region tag to UK and the TV will now read it, but it's no big hassle to run a rescan of Astra for General satellite in order to get the channels not listed on Freesat, CH4 HD in particular.
    You can mix them in favourites list, but only sequentially afaik, with say a choice of Terrestrial followed by freesat listing followed by additional general satellite, but not interspersed, you can't push CH4 HD into the Freesat segment. No big deal if your favourites list is tight. My General satellite list scanned fully sorted btw, not the random mess you usually get with dozens of CH4 at the head. I'm not sure if this is a feature of the scan or the work of an EPG app I installed when in IRL region, it was originally a mess, the app sorted it, but then I reset and changed regions, and the new full Astra Genenal scan came out sorted, so it and Freesat are perfect companions in the source list.
    It's a pleasure to jump from sat to terrestrial, unlike the Samsung nightmare, favourites allows 7 day epg of either, but a single press of TV button defaults to your chosen tuner/source, so swmbo can slam back to RTE1 on button 1 if the set is on sat or YouTube, Netflix, browser etc. Browser works very well for streams also, and VM player works on it, which is cool as their android app is not TV compatible. Only annoyance is RTE player disappears of course in region UK, and their web version doesn't work on the browser, but I already have an Apple tv box with it, and If you want you can install alternative browsers from the play store. Better though if I spend more time watching, and less time fiddling.

Browser works very well for streams also, and VM player works on it, which is cool as their android app is not TV compatible.

Great tip thanks, hadn't thought of that for VM player - works for me too.
    Only annoyance is RTE player disappears of course in region UK, and their web version doesn't work on the browser.

Mine was UK from the start and I was able to install RTE Player and it works fine, so strange that it is not working for you.

Great tip thanks, hadn't thought of that for VM player - works for me too.

Mine was UK from the start and I was able to install RTE Player and it works fine, so strange that it is not working for you.

I'll give it another shot. I would have thought it would install based on ROI IP address, but play store is listing the telly as not suitable. It was preinstalled after first ROI region setup.

When I tried to install from my pc browser, it lists all my devices, with sony tv tagged as incompatible. I browsed play store on the tv browser itself, and there were two versions, and of course, the second was compatible, with only the TV, so happy days. I note from my google play log alert that it states I've installed a linux app. Interesting, i wonder would this version work in my Enigma 2 box? I feel some fiddling coming on...
    Thanks for headsup, I assumed the region killed the player, as it did on my Samsung.

Just for info.
    Just got a prompt for an update on the TV, so allowed it to do it's thing.
    Then reset and set location to UK.
    Unfortunately no Freesat options for satellite tuning.....maybe they will update it at some stage in the future!

Just for info.
    Just got a prompt for an update on the TV, so allowed it to do it's thing.
    Then reset and set location to UK.
    Unfortunately no Freesat options for satellite tuning.....maybe they will update it at some stage in the future!

Redo the update while in UK location, it wouldn't have added in ROI or any other location.

• Advertisement

Ah, that makes sense....but how can I force the update- it was OTA.
    Is there an option to update from USB?

Its in the settings

HOME/APPS/SYSTEM SOFTWARE UPDATE

can be done by USB too, see:
    https://www.sony.ie/electronics/support/articles/00119543

Thanks a mill. Just found that.
    Will try later and report back

Tried the update again with the region set to UK, but still no Freesat unfortunately.

y
    Tried the update again with the region set to UK, but still no Freesat unfortunately.

Thats a pity. I presume you tried to retune the satellite receiver? The update won't convert your current satellite scan to a Freesat scan, (if the software update contained Freesat upgrade). The menu sequence for the XF80 series is different from the newer android sequence on the sets listed as upgradeable.
    The sequence listed for the XF80 is
    [Settings] — [Watching TV] — [Channels] — [Channel setup] — [Digital setup] — [Satellite setup] — [Digital satellite tuning],
    which is almost identical to my XH90 series. If Freesat is available, an extra item will be listed under satellite setup, probably named Freesat tuning. This allows you to select Freesat rather than general sat tuning, and only when you retune via the Freesat option will a source named Freesat appear in addition to Digital (for terrestrial) and Satellite (for general satellite tuning with now/next only) in the epg. These two sat lists are separate, though they have mostly the same main channels.

Long shot, power off the set, then on. Then check the tuner choices to see if Freesat tuning is available in addition to your satellite general scan, or digital satellite scan as its called on the Sony web help for the XF80 series (and lots of others). https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/faep1/v1/en/02-01-02_02.html
    I have a feeling the XF80 may be an android generation older, and not yet tweaked for Freesat.

Thanks again. Looks like the XF80 is not supported yet, as you say.
    Tried a soft reset and then looked again, but only option is general Satellite setup.
    Hopefully they will update in due course.

Thanks again. Looks like the XF80 is not supported yet, as you say.
    Tried a soft reset and then looked again, but only option is general Satellite setup.
    Hopefully they will update in due course.

Frustratingly, you can't even add the Freesat epg app or equivalents as none are compatible with TV android. You could run the web version on the TV browser, I think you can set the default page to last browsed, but that's a bodge at best. Just keep freesat app on your phone I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

Be very careful, my UHD tuner is acting up since this latest update!

This TV is very tough to tune!

• Advertisement

Andy454 wrote: »
    Be very careful, my UHD tuner is acting up since this latest update!

This TV is very tough to tune!

One thing to watch, if you select manual tuning, there's no sign of Freesat tuning, as it doesn't allow addition of non Freesat member channels. You must go to auto tuning, where you select terrestrial, cable, Freesat or General sat. Once you select freesat, you must get your connection scheme right. If you have only one sat cable but your set has two sat connectors, you must select one connection only, else the EPG and the recorder may try and use the secondary connection while you watch from the primary connection. Linux box owners know this well.
    Once the Freesat scan starts, it quickly connects to the Freesat data channel, and all the tuning info is pulled in rapidly, so no long 15 minute wait to scan the entire Astra bands.
    The graphicly driven step tuning interface jolts with people who prefer a mutiple choice or numerical entry type, where you can enter and edit all parameters on one page, but Sony are trying to ease this pain for non techie people, and the default choices are correct in most cases. If you have two sat wires, youll know it, if you use DISEqC, you'll be familiar with sat tuning anyway.

Advertisement