Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Humax Aura - UHD recordable terrestrial receiver

• 19-10-2020 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭

I see Humax have announced an Android TV based terrestrial receiver with a hard drive for the UK market.

Interesting to see how practical this is. Would have liked to see something similar for the Irish Market instead of Saorview Connect.

https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/aura-uhd-android-tv-recorder/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

JDxtra wrote: »
    I see Humax have announced an Android TV based terrestrial receiver with a hard drive for the UK market.

Interesting to see how practical this is. Would have liked to see something similar for the Irish Market instead of Saorview Connect.

The 1TB version is £249 https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/humax-4k-aura-1tb-black.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Will work for UK free view but I assume can't handle saorview?

My 15 yr old box is dying a death. This looks promising but would be handy to have saorview too.

Will be mid Nov for these I assume

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The terrestrial capabilities may not work with Saorview. They could easily lock the app to those in the UK only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

The terrestrial capabilities may not work with Saorview. They could easily lock the app to those in the UK only.

As long as its DVB-t2 and Minimum HD (which i assume it is as its UHD) the saorview/terrestrial end of it should be fine? i would have expected@?

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

liamtech wrote: »

As long as its DVB-t2 and Minimum HD (which i assume it is as its UHD) the saorview/terrestrial end of it should be fine? i would have expected@?

From the screenshots it looks like it's purely Android TV based with a "Live TV" app for the terrestrial features. Google Store apps can be locked to a region so it may be a challenge to install the app if the unit is outside the UK. We'll know more once reviewers get their hands on one and publish a video or if Humax put the manual online.

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Have read reviews of this and it has 3 tuners. It is both HD and HDR capable so it should work with Saorview.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I registered interest for it anyway.

The saorview box will get road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Have read reviews of this and it has 3 tuners. It is both HD and HDR capable so it should work with Saorview.

I doubt anyone will need 3 tuners for Saorview. Seen as there's only about 10 TV channels on the EPG. It would be very rare to need to watch a channel while 2 others are recording at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I doubt anyone will need 3 tuners for Saorview. Seen as there's only about 10 TV channels on the EPG. It would be very rare to need to watch a channel while 2 others are recording at the same time

I was more referring to someone purchasing it for both Freeview/Saorview. If I only had Saorview I definitely wouldn't be spending extra money like this on a PVR for as you state triple tuners are of little benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

If it is Saorview compatible then surely it blows the connect box out of the water.

Currently I have an Nvidia shield and a 2gb humax 1100s so they'll be up on adverts or ebay if it turns out the Aura works with Saorview.

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭decor58

funnyname wrote: »
        If it is Saorview compatible then surely it blows the connect box out of the water.

Currently I have an Nvidia shield and a 2gb humax 1100s so they'll be up on adverts or ebay if it turns out the Aura works with Saorview.

Is the Aura not just a terrestrial receiver, nó satellite function, a satellite receiver would still be required. The previous Humax boxes could receive Saorview but the channels were all over the place, in the 800's, with no option to renumber them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Ah so, wishful thinking on my part

Review of the box here...

https://youtu.be/TbmnzM4e2U4

The main Freeview Live TV app may be geo restricted, so this is not likely to work in Ireland with Saorview.

Its also listed as a product on the Argos Ireland web site, which is an error.

Review of the box here...

https://youtu.be/TbmnzM4e2U4

The main Freeview Live TV app may be geo restricted, so this is not likely to work in Ireland with Saorview.

See also that Netflix app had to sideloaded, it wasn't available in the App Store!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭tom23

Had a loot at a review of it on youtube. Absolute awsome piece of kit compared to the saorviewbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

tom23 wrote: »
        Had a loot at a review of it on youtube. Absolute awsome piece of kit compared to the saorviewbox.

Is this a limiting factor?
        Video Decoder	MPEG-2 ISO/IEC 13818
                        Transport Stream Specification

I couldn't tell ya! Just looking at the box and its functionality is miles ahead of anything here. Android TV OS, and well-designed EPG, 1 TB of storage. Jaysus its a dream box. If it was available here it would make a dent on the likes of Sky market share.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

No mention of MPEG4 or H265 support would have me wondering too.

No mention of MPEG4 or H265 support would have me wondering too.

Can i ask prbably a very stupid question here. What does that mean? Woudl this box apart from the ANdroid system on it be of any use here in the republic of Ireland?

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

MPEG2, MPEG4 and H265 are video encoding standards. When Saorview first launched many people got caught out because Saorview used the MPEG4 encoding standard but Freeview used MPEG2. The result was a TV that gave sound but no picture on Saorview. H265 is the current 4k standard.

I couldn't tell ya! Just looking at the box and its functionality is miles ahead of anything here. Android TV OS, and well-designed EPG, 1 TB of storage. Jaysus its a dream box. If it was available here it would make a dent on the likes of Sky market share.

This box does not have a satellite connection, most of the apps would be geo blocked or am I missing something.

decor58 wrote: »
        This box does not have a satellite connection, most of the apps would be geo blocked or am I missing something.

Sorry, your right. I got over-excited at the android part of it. Ignore any of my previous posts.

It just shows what could have been achieved. We all knew Saorview Connect was going to be a dead duck even before it was released.

My Enigma2 combo box has served me very well, but this is not for everyone. It's a shame that the simplest option for the average person is to stick with their pay TV provider.

It just shows what could have been achieved. We all knew Saorview Connect was going to be a dead duck even before it was released.

My Enigma2 combo box has served me very well, but this is not for everyone. It's a shame that the simplest option for the average person is to stick with their pay TV provider.

How come HUmax can't customise that box or a simlar box and release into the Irish market? to small or can get past Saoirivew?

How come HUmax can cutomsie that box or a simlar box and release into the Irish market? to small or can get past Saoirivew?

Different standards from the UK and a smaller market in Ireland. There would have been a lot more options available to us if there was alignment on standards between the two countries.

Different standards from the UK and a smaller market in Ireland. There would have been a lot more options available to us if there was alignment on standards between the two countries.

Cheers. Awful pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Both my Sony YouView TV’s running Android don’t work with Saorview unless I disable YouView.

My BT TV DTR 4000 YouView box is fine, though it doesn’t display programme info.

My Manhattan T3R running Freeview is similar to the BT DTR 4000, but the earlier Humax FVP 5000t works completely with Saorview, displaying all programme info.

Not sure how this one handles Saorview.

Advertisement