Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring Utilities Question

• 04-08-2020 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey,

I'm new to renting and had a question.

I will be transferring utilities tomorrow for a property I am renting and was wondering exactly what this means? I will of course be asking before doing it but wanted to get a heads up.

I am renting through an agency. As far as I know they will want bank details etc for setting these up.

When transferring utilities does this mean that I will be taking on the landlords current utilities and the current contract that they have with the utilities and that I cannot change provider if it is under contract?

Thanks,
    Sarah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The utilities should be in your name under a new contract. I'd be dubious of an agency doing it unless it's a short term rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FastSSF

The utilities should be in your name under a new contract. I'd be dubious of an agency doing it unless it's a short term rental.

Thanks for the reply. So what you're saying is, lets say the current landlord is with Electric Ireland (possibly even just 5 months into a 12 month contract). The transfer of utilities should mean I can sign up in my own name and avail of sign on credit that they offer to new customers?

FastSSF wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. So what you're saying is, lets say the current landlord is with Electric Ireland (possibly even just 5 months into a 12 month contract). The transfer of utilities should mean I can sign up in my own name and avail of sign on credit that they offer to new customers?

Yes, his contract is his issue. You should be free to sign up with whomever but bear in mind if you leave before the contract expires, that's gonna be your problem although most providers allow you to move services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FastSSF

Yes, his contract is his issue. You should be free to sign up with whomever but bear in mind if you leave before the contract expires, that's gonna be your problem although most providers allow you to move services.

So is a transfer of utilities just being moved to the same provider but on a new contract? Sorry for asking stupid questions - I just haven't done this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Take a photo of all meters such as electric and gas.
    Find the one with the best deal, look up switcher or bonkers .ie and also broadband as you can get some great deals.

Mprn number or meter number will be needed to get started and meter reading.

You sign up on the date you move in. Do not sign up before this unless you want to be paying someone else's.

You can sign up to whatever provider you want.

• Advertisement

FastSSF wrote: »
    So is a transfer of utilities just being moved to the same provider but on a new contract? Sorry for asking stupid questions - I just haven't done this before.

I'm not really sure what they're up to tbh. I wouldn't be letting them sign me up to utilities, I'd do it myself but maybe others have had experience of what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

I'm not really sure what they're up to tbh. I wouldn't be letting them sign me up to utilities, I'd do it myself but maybe others have had experience of what's going on.

years ago Bord Gais wanted a 400 euro deposit on a rental property to set up a bill
    Not sure if this is still the case with these or other providers.
    To the OP as has been stated check bonkers ie and go with whichever provider suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

I have recently moved and taken over utilities at my new address and closed off utilities at previous address.

very easy to be honest

agent shouldn't be involved in same

choose whatever provider you wish and is available in your area. I got a 200 credit with my supplier for sticking with them.

I think if this is your first time setting it up they will want bank account details.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The day you move in get the MPRN and GPRN, take a picture of the meter readings, and sign up with your favourite provider directly on their website or through Bonkers.ie or something like that. You don't have to sign up the same day you can backdate normally. You usually sign up for a 12 month or 18 month contract which you can transfer to a new property if you move, but there's normally only a small fee for breaking the contract if you need to.

Do it yourself, if the agent tried to set up anything like that for me massive alarm bells would be going off. Absolutely do not take on an existing account, you potentially take on any debt associated with it. Besides there are offers for signing up new accounts.

This may be unrelated but it sounds like the agent may be trying to lead you too much, if they try get set up the standing order for your rent through your bank themselves decline and just do it yourself for free through your online banking. My first rental the agent told me they were setting up a direct debit (different to a standing order), which would have been fine except next thing I knew I was hit with a €30 fee from my bank for accepting a paper standing order instruction from the agent.

Advertisement