Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pixel 4a

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I'll be curious but not expecting any reason to upgrade from my note 9. The next full pixels may tempt me, price depending.

some of the European listed prices here (link below) look a bit high, especially if that turns out to be a 64gb model

the 730 cpu is roughly a 20% uptick on the 3A's 670.

other than that not seeing a lot of change

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/pixel-4a-release-date-price-specs-3940728#:~:text=The%20site%20says%20it's%20a,a%20pixel%20density%20of%20443ppi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭914

glasso wrote: »
    some of the European listed prices here (link below) look a bit high, especially if that turns out to be a 64gb model

the 730 cpu is roughly a 20% uptick on the 3A's 670.

other than that not seeing a lot of change

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/pixel-4a-release-date-price-specs-3940728#:~:text=The%20site%20says%20it's%20a,a%20pixel%20density%20of%20443ppi.

Can't remember where but I read the 4a will only ship with 128GB.

That said the release date has been pushed so much I won't read too much into anything until.it is eventually released.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Probably want to go head to head with the OnePlus Nord with that release date . I am due a new phone so will be interesting to see who comes out on top

Probably want to go head to head with the OnePlus Nord with that release date . I am due a new phone so will be interesting to see who comes out on top

oneplus nord has a better cpu and screen refresh rate

4a will have better camera quality (even the 3a easily beats the nord there)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

oneplus nord has a better cpu and screen refresh rate

4a will have better camera quality (even the 3a easily beats the nord there)

I was looking at a few videos showing the screen refresh rate, i dont know is there a bit of a mismatch in the CPU they went for and the 90hz refresh rate , on heavy sites like twitter or similar it wasnt as smooth as i expected. Still pretty good in general usage though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Jon Prosser again, linked to this. https://9to5google.com/2020/07/30/google-pixel-4a-tease/

Must be a certainty now, at least we'll have something to look forward to on the bank holiday.

I watched MKBHD's video on the Oneplus Nord. Never been into that brand myself, though I remember when they first popped on boards.

Are refresh rates that big a deal? I'd only be into them for buying a TV, tbh.

Battery seems iffy on my LG V20, though I could replace and keep it ticking away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I've had a Pixel 2 XL for a year, intentionally picked it over the 3A since the spec was slightly better (yet cheaper for me) and the 4 since it was ludicrously priced. If this comes in at the rumoured €350, I'm all for it.

I feel the same about the OnePlus Nord, I'd much rather no double camera hole and a smaller sized device.

if anyone still wants the 3A you can get it for €129 if you switch your number (or a random sim card - not all providers accepted)

or €229 if you get it without the number switch

it's unlocked of course

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/google/pixel-3a.html?gallery=payg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Raoul

This is what I am waiting for too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭914

$349 in the us

Brought fwd to usurp the OnePlus Nord which doesn't go on sale until Tuesday and is $399

Camera is a lot better on the pixel than the nord

Also priced below iPhone se which is key / deliberate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Currently looking to upgrade my pocofone, would these be a worthwhile upgrade and do they have dual SIM as thats pretty important to me.

it has dual-sim capability but not two physical sim slots.

one physical sim and one eSIM (software sim)

but Ireland doesn't support sSIM for consumers

there's only about 40 countries worldwide that do

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I may look at something else so, cheers Glasso.

The P-Lite with the special zoom sounds neat, I'm after fairly decent sized screen, android based, decent camera and dual SIM

Budget of 3-500€

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

My LG V20 has dual SIM and I was going to use that for a trip to the US (for Google Maps/driving, until Covid put an end to that.

Something to consider, thanks for the info above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

if anyone still wants the 3A you can get it for €129 if you switch your number (or a random sim card - not all providers accepted)

or €229 if you get it without the number switch

it's unlocked of course

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/google/pixel-3a.html?gallery=payg

Thinking of getting the 3a, what's Vodafone like as a carrier? Currently on 3

RedRochey wrote: »
    Thinking of getting the 3a, what's Vodafone like as a carrier? Currently on 3

Vodafone has the best mobile network in Ireland but not the cheapest

How does this come about, do we press F5 somewhere? Announcement at 6pm Irish time?

https://store.google.com/ie/product/pixel_4a

€389

There's only a waiting list at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

it has dual-sim capability but not two physical sim slots.

one physical sim and one eSIM (software sim)

but Ireland doesn't support sSIM for consumers

there's only about 40 countries worldwide that do

Anyone know if I could use the eSIM slot for a Vodafone UK sim?

It's really the only thing stopping me from buying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

With the Nord being only 20€ more expensive and having better specs I think they made a bad pricing decision.

I hate how it's cheaper in the US by a good bit. It might not be as snappy as the Nord but most people buy phone's these days for the camera and it's camera blows the Nord's away.

Dave 2D is a respectable YouTube Apple fan that I follow:

Dave has given a very positive initial impression on youtube: I'll provide the link later. €389 is bit stiff, but still sorta tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

My last few phones have been Pixels. I think they're great :)

Basil3 wrote: »
    https://store.google.com/ie/product/pixel_4a

€389

There's only a waiting list at the moment.

Shipping August 20th apparently.

Edit : August could just be the US availability. I have heard it's October in the UK so could be the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I hate how it's cheaper in the US by a good bit. It might not be as snappy as the Nord but most people buy phone's these days for the camera and it's camera blows the Nord's away.
    Defo. CPU isn't always P1 when the OS is so optimized for it + battery performance. This will be a big seller. My 2XL is starting to feel heavy / big in hand so something more light weight with an excellent camera will do me perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

"The Tech Chap" on YouTube has published a great comparison video about the camera on the 4a, iPhone SE and Oneplus Nord.

With the Nord being only 20€ more expensive and having better specs I think they made a bad pricing decision.

A lot of people buy a phone for camera and the Nord has been pretty much slated, even the flagship OnePlus phones are average.

• Advertisement

that's not really true at all when you take sales tax / VAT into account

$349 is an ex-VAT price in the US

€389 in euro is a post-VAT price here

compared to the way that things used to be be priced it's actually very good comparatively

comparison to 3a here

https://www.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-4a-vs-pixel-3a

the 3a on the Vodafone deal is the bargain to get really

Advertisement