Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭satguy

corwill wrote: »
    For the delivery, not for their time as the middle man between you and Customs. We can argue about the size of the fee, perhaps, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect no fee whatsoever.

I paid €9.74 to DHL already, they seem to have a very high detection rate as regards the customs, and if they are adding on €12 per package, it seems the more they report to customs, the more they earn.

I have used just the normal post in the past, most get through just fine, once I had a phone nabbed by customs, I was able to pay the dues online, and An Post only added a charge €6 ,,

It was just that I needed the phone quick..
    But will never use DHL if I am not in a hurry.

They are not called DH-Hell for nothing..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

satguy wrote: »
    I paid €9.74 to DHL already, they seem to have a very high detection rate as regards the customs, and if they are adding on €12 per package, it seems the more they report to customs, the more they earn.

I have used just the normal post in the past, most get through just fine, once I had a phone nabbed by customs, I was able to pay the dues online, and An Post only added a charge €6 ,,

Can you pay AnPost online? As far as I am aware you can only pay (in cash) to the postman when he delivers the package.

I would imagine that most parcels that come via DHL would be above the 22euro ?? threshold also, as it would hardly be worthwhile paying for DHL delivery on anything of a lower value. So I would expect that almost every parcel they handle would be likely to be subject to a charge, which may not be the case with AnPost as a lot of the items would be low-value with free carriage from the sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Hello,

I've been looking at phones on to2c.com

Looking at reviews it seems a good site unless you have a problem with the device you ordered. Bad customer service, hard to get a refund etc.

Anyone have personal experience with this site?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 llandai

Finally got my Jiayu S3 from geekbuying, took them an age to ship it but once they did it got here very quick. Have to say though it was packaged really badly. I ordered an extra battery & charger, tempered glass screen and a silicon cover. The cover wasn't in any packaging and was just stuck to the phones box with tiny bit of bubble wrap and cellotape, as a result the cover is damaged and doesnt sit on the phone properly, the whole package was just in a DHL bag and not boxed at all! Will need to order a new cover as the rear cover of the phone is very smooth and phone is really slippy and easy to drop!!

Phone itself so far after playing with it for the last hour seems very good, came with Google Play store pre installed.

First time having a chinese phone and have never rooted a phone or anything like that before. Is it worth doing and is it easy enough to do? Is there a way to check for malware/bloathware and remove it if there is?

A friend mentioned not using a chinese phone for doing online banking, is that something I should be concerned with?

Sorry for all the questions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

llandai wrote: »
    Finally got my Jiayu S3 from geekbuying, took them an age to ship it but once they did it got here very quick. Have to say though it was packaged really badly. I ordered an extra battery & charger, tempered glass screen and a silicon cover. The cover wasn't in any packaging and was just stuck to the phones box with tiny bit of bubble wrap and cellotape, as a result the cover is damaged and doesnt sit on the phone properly, the whole package was just in a DHL bag and not boxed at all! Will need to order a new cover as the rear cover of the phone is very smooth and phone is really slippy and easy to drop!!

Phone itself so far after playing with it for the last hour seems very good, came with Google Play store pre installed.

First time having a chinese phone and have never rooted a phone or anything like that before. Is it worth doing and is it easy enough to do? Is there a way to check for malware/bloathware and remove it if there is?

A friend mentioned not using a chinese phone for doing online banking, is that something I should be concerned with?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Get a app that searches for malware, spyware etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Xiaomi have an app for testing. I think. Might be antutu either, google for the apk

Yeah I downloaded the app and unfortunately you're right- its a fake. I verified it twice to be certain. I bought it from a Chinese ebay seller with almost 10,000 positive feedbacks with 99% satisfaction so I've emailed him now with the test results to see what they say. In any case I'd suspected it might be fake earlier today, when I got it I charged to full and barely touched it in the last 48 hours yet when checked today the battery was at 12%. Then when charging again it took almost 5 hours to get to 96% which again seemed very slow.

I wanna return the phone, anyone know what my rights are in terms of posting it back? Are they obliged to pay, especially given the phone was fake and I didn't get what was ordered? Paid via Paypal if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Out of interest. What sways you guys toward weirdly named phones that need to be flashed etc? Price? Are the specs better for X price than one in meteor for the same price?

I ask as ive a s4 mini and had an iPhone 4s before that. Im considering one of these phones after the summer maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Out of interest. What sways you guys toward weirdly named phones that need to be flashed etc? Price? Are the specs better for X price than one in meteor for the same price?

I ask as ive a s4 mini and had an iPhone 4s before that. Im considering one of these phones after the summer maybe.

Weirdly named :D they're cheap for what you get, lots of bang for your buck.

I've a Xiaomi Mi3 for example, can be used perfectly with no custom ROMs, massive community behind it, 5" 1080p screen and a powerful snapdragon processor. Antutu score is about 35000. €250 for a 64gb new

S5 is 5" 1080p screen, usuable with no rom, massive community, same processor. Currently goes new for €400 for the 16gb version on Amazon. Antutu score is about 35000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah I downloaded the app and unfortunately you're right- its a fake. I verified it twice to be certain. I bought it from a Chinese ebay seller with almost 10,000 positive feedbacks with 99% satisfaction so I've emailed him now with the test results to see what they say. In any case I'd suspected it might be fake earlier today, when I got it I charged to full and barely touched it in the last 48 hours yet when checked today the battery was at 12%. Then when charging again it took almost 5 hours to get to 96% which again seemed very slow.

I wanna return the phone, anyone know what my rights are in terms of posting it back? Are they obliged to pay, especially given the phone was fake and I didn't get what was ordered? Paid via Paypal if that makes a difference.

The app isn't always accurate, I think it might only work for phones purchased through xiaomis official store, but many resellers source them elsewhere such as through carriers.

Best bet is cpu-z or antutu to verify hardware is as it should be. Or check that Mi Recovery is installed.

The battery issues could be explainable. Which miui version are you on right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I've a Xiaomi Mi3 for example, can be used perfectly with no custom ROMs, massive community behind it, 5" 1080p screen and a powerful snapdragon processor. Antutu score is about 35000. €250 for a 64gb new

I've a TCL M2U for example, can be used perfectly with no custom Roms, NO COMMUNITY behind it, 5.5 in screen, dual sim, 4G, and a powerful MTK processor and a microSD slot. Antutu score is about 39000. :P

• Advertisement

So you guys wouldnt buy a samsung again?

MarkY91 wrote: »
    So you guys wouldnt buy a samsung again?

If an S5 was going for 250-300 then yes, I got the S4 and was so disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Having trouble rooting my Ecoo E04, Tring kingoroot and a few others and they all say root succeeded and I reboot the phone etc, but rootchecker and the terminal both say it still isn't rooted. Any idea on what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 llandai

Anyone with a Jiayu S3 not picking up 4G and any idea why it might not be connecting to 4G? Settings on the phone are all enabled for it to be able to pick up 4G..

eamonnq wrote: »
    I've a TCL M2U for example, can be used perfectly with no custom Roms, NO COMMUNITY behind it, 5.5 in screen, dual sim, 4G, and a powerful MTK processor and a microSD slot. Antutu score is about 39000. :P

My point exactly! I was keeping to what I know ;)

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Having trouble rooting my Ecoo E04, Tring kingoroot and a few others and they all say root succeeded and I reboot the phone etc, but rootchecker and the terminal both say it still isn't rooted. Any idea on what to do?

Are they apps on the phone or PC apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Are they apps on the phone or PC apps?

Tried both, kingoroot on the pc, kingroot on the phone

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Tried both, kingoroot on the pc, kingroot on the phone

Best check out XDA

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

spix wrote: »
    The app isn't always accurate, I think it might only work for phones purchased through xiaomis official store, but many resellers source them elsewhere such as through carriers.

Best bet is cpu-z or antutu to verify hardware is as it should be. Or check that Mi Recovery is installed.

The battery issues could be explainable. Which miui version are you on right now?

I searched Mi Recovery on the phone and it came back with a Baidu search pae only. Its not there as any kind of app on the home screens either. I also took a look at this
    http://en.miui.com/thread-35092-1-1.html
    and from those comparison pictures I'm pretty sure its miui 5 I'm on. In the 'About Phone' menu the version comes back as JHECNBF30.0 which doesnt seem to mean a whole lot but the pics on the link above convince me its miui 5

Regards the battery, I'm even more frustrated with it today. I charged it for a good 5 hours yesterday, it went up to 97 and after an hours light web browsing (no vids or music) it was down to 80. This morning I used it for the same again for about 2hrs and its now down to 8% which is pretty woeful imo :( I think it'll have to go back regardless of what line the retailer might try to spin. I'm gonna charge it up again now but I'm not that optimistic tbh

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I searched Mi Recovery on the phone and it came back with a Baidu search pae only. Its not there as any kind of app on the home screens either. I also took a look at this
    http://en.miui.com/thread-35092-1-1.html
    and from those comparison pictures I'm pretty sure its miui 5 I'm on. In the 'About Phone' menu the version comes back as JHECNBF30.0 which doesnt seem to mean a whole lot but the pics on the link above convince me its miui 5

Regards the battery, I'm even more frustrated with it today. I charged it for a good 5 hours yesterday, it went up to 97 and after an hours light web browsing (no vids or music) it was down to 80. This morning I used it for the same again for about 2hrs and its now down to 8% which is pretty woeful imo :( I think it'll have to go back regardless of what line the retailer might try to spin. I'm gonna charge it up again now but I'm not that optimistic tbh

Sounds fake to me, sorry you got stung like that.

• Advertisement

If an S5 was going for 250-300 then yes, I got the S4 and was so disappointed.

ive an s4 mini and the brightness outside is way below what im happy with. i dont dislike the phone in general. i like it but for about 150 if there is better to be gotten with a chinese device, i would take the risk and get it. ill keep an eye on this thread in the coming weeks

There are better options for €150

The Nexus devices are the only western brands that come close to competing for value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Just as a follow up to my search for a cheap Chinese phone to tide me over until new phone announcements later in the year - as I mentioned in old thread I wanted an ECOO E04 but couldn't get it in blue (!) so I order an MLAIS M52, just to try an even cheaper phone. In the end I didn't like the overall feel of it and ended up doing an impulse buy of the ECOO E04 when it popped up on adverts in blue (from the lad who posted here a few times since, nice guy, he let me open the phone packaging and confirm it started up etc before money changed hands). Delighted with the E04, the better screen and extra 1 GB of ram seems to make a difference for my fairly heavy usage.

As an aside, that means there is a virtually brand new MLAIS M52 for sale! Search adverts for MLAIS or M52 to see it. I'm throwing in a tempered glass screen protector, unopened as it arrived after I got the ECOO. I've just today put the very latest stock lollipop update on the phone and it feels great - maybe I should have waited for that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Just as a follow up to my search for a cheap Chinese phone to tide me over until new phone announcements later in the year - as I mentioned in old thread I wanted an ECOO E04 but couldn't get it in blue (!) so I order an MLAIS M52, just to try an even cheaper phone. In the end I didn't like the overall feel of it and ended up doing an impulse buy of the ECOO E04 when it popped up on adverts in blue (from the lad who posted here a few times since, nice guy, he let me open the phone packaging and confirm it started up etc before money changed hands). Delighted with the E04, the better screen and extra 1 GB of ram seems to make a difference for my fairly heavy usage.

As an aside, that means there is a virtually brand new MLAIS M52 for sale! Search adverts for MLAIS or M52 to see it. I'm throwing in a tempered glass screen protector, unopened as it arrived after I got the ECOO. I've just today put the very latest stock lollipop update on the phone and it feels great - maybe I should have waited for that :D

There's a lad selling his for 60 quid cheaper than yours on adverts as well :)

Kilboor wrote: »

Its fecked has a invalid IMEI.

Its fecked has a invalid IMEI.

Ah right.

Ah right. Good luck with the sale!

Tell him not me :D

Tell him not me :D

Woops..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Oh jasus, well spotted :D A pity he didn't have that up when I was looking for one :D

He's screwed up the IMEI (caused by the fact that some of the custom ROMs for this phone overwrite the NVRAM). This shouldn't be fatal but it's surprising he didn't sort it out before he tried to sell it.

Mine has the latest lollipop ROM on it, warranty from 2 weeks ago and an unopened tempered glass thingy.

I'd say his is worth a shot if you know what you're doing ROM/NVRAM wise. Otherwise make me an offer :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Steven Numerous Flare

Did anyone buy the Elephone P8000 yet on presale?
    Its coming in bout €190.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement