Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

jeffk wrote: »
    How long did your one take?

Different cable/plugs give same result

2 hours at most and I use a Nokia charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭jeffk

No matter what cable/plug combination (including the original ones)

I get the same speed

Charging Speed(Triangle1%)
    3minutes 48mnutes

Even on this forum some say the same

http://bbs.elephone.hk/thread-4039-1-1.html

I don’t get screen time? I stopped charging at 1500 and the next day at 1720 ish it went dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Got a Xiaomi Redmi Note yesterday via Parcel Motel, cost £109 delivered which seems a bargain for the piece of kit. But I'm not sure if I should be worried- I've been trying to install Google Play but in the browser I keep getting Security warnings about websites certificates, they keep flashing up, even on sites that I trust like BBC, Google, etc. I press OK and they flash up again many times before the browser crashes. Any way to turn these off?

Second email to Etotalk,

Please wipe the battery status as below:
    1. Maske sure the phone is rooted.
    2. Install root explorer.apk into the phone.
    http://www.4shared.com/android/OpQMZ4S4/RootExplorer.html
    3. Power off the phone, fully charged.
    4. Run Root explorer on your phone, delete the file "/data/system/batterystats.bin"
    5. Use the phone normally until power off automatically (Please don't charge the phone in this process)
    6. Don't power on, charge the phone fully.
    7. Power on. Then the battery should be correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

That's what battery calibration apps do.
    If it works it's a very simply problem.

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    That's what battery calibration apps do.
    If it works it's a very simply problem.

IF, Ive tried that myself and various apps that do the same.

I get the feeling they expect you to jump through hoops before considering there might actually be a fault with phone and/or battery

Ive to stop reading gizchina, the amount on my wishlist now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Got a Xiaomi Redmi Note yesterday via Parcel Motel, cost £109 delivered which seems a bargain for the piece of kit. But I'm not sure if I should be worried- I've been trying to install Google Play but in the browser I keep getting Security warnings about websites certificates, they keep flashing up, even on sites that I trust like BBC, Google, etc. I press OK and they flash up again many times before the browser crashes. Any way to turn these off?

What rom version do you have installed? Easiest thing to do would be to update to the xiaomi.eu rom which has all Chinese removed and play store pre-installed.

http://htcfanboys.com/download/acid/?action=list&folder=76903

Where did you buy it from? Loads of fakes going around of the Redmi Note so best to make sure its genuine first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

UleFone have finally updated the Be Pro to Lollipop 5.0 although it wasn't ota.

Another update came along today has greatly improved the camera quality as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Lads I need some advice.. looking for a phone and seen these 2 popping up.. anyone give me what's my best bet to go with? Is the battery ok on them?

http://m.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_180346.html

http://m.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_181437.html?utm_source=mail_api&utm_medium=mail&utm_campaign=regular.0601&email=b2t8bWVkaWFqb250QHlhaG9vLmllfDI1OTA=

Or would the Moto G that's in Argos at the min for 200 be my best bet?

I don't want to really spend anymore than 200 including customs etc & need a good fast phone with quite a decent battery

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Lads I need some advice.. looking for a phone and seen these 2 popping up.. anyone give me what's my best bet to go with? Is the battery ok on them?

Or would the Moto G that's in Argos at the min for 200 be my best bet?

I don't want to really spend anymore than 200 including customs etc & need a good fast phone with quite a decent battery

Thanks

The Lenovo would be the better option considering the price, battery and screen resolution.

That said the Mlais does have 1gb more ram but it is a relatively unknown phone and 2gbs of ram is more than enough atm.

I would buy the Lenovo.

I can't post links yet but check out Mrwhosetheboss on youtube, he has done a review of the Lenovo where he has nothing but praise for it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

My sister has a Mlais she loves. I'd go the Mlais because the Lenovo is so damn ugly

Kilboor wrote: »
    The Lenovo would be the better option considering the price, battery and screen resolution.

That said the Mlais does have 1gb more ram but it is a relatively unknown phone and 2gbs of ram is more than enough atm.

I would buy the Lenovo.

I can't post links yet but check out Mrwhosetheboss on youtube, he has done a review of the Lenovo where he has nothing but praise for it

That's great thanks for the advice..the mlais has that finger touch I.d thing which looks deadly.. I'll have a look on YouTube mate thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Kilboor wrote: »

I would buy the Lenovo.

The only thing I would add to this is to make sure to get a tempered glass screen protector for the Lenovo, as it doesn't appear to have gorilla glass. Even at that, I'd get it ahead of the Mlais based on screen res, battery, manufacturer and price.

Maybe also look at the Jiayu S3 and the Meizu M1 Note, they have the same chip set and should be fairly close price wise. Both have gorilla glass and a 1080p screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭satguy

My Post from a few days ago
    My Wife needs a new phone,, she is not a power user, just calls and a bit of Facebook stuff..

Does anybody know or have any thoughts on this one below,, Thanks..

VKWORLD VK700 5.5inch IPS HD MTK6582 Quad Core 1.3GHz Android 4.4 Smartphone 1GB RAM 8GB ROM 3G GPS Miracast - Black
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/VKWOR...ck-344133.html

I did buy it a few hours later, It was €74 + €9.78 for that DHL ( DHell ), and I got €3 off a coupon ,, so round that up to €80..

I just got a call from DHL to say my phone will be here today, and that there is a charge of €32 owed.

That is 23% customs and the outrageous fee the DHell add on.. Next time I buy a phone, I would just get standard postage, and leave out DHL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Steven Numerous Flare

People are continually complaining about the charge from DHL. An Post charge 6euro.
    Processing parcels and dealing with customs takes a persons time and company resources.
    No company that wants to stay in business can afford to do work for free.

satguy wrote: »

I did buy it a few hours later, It was €74 + €9.78 for that DHL ( DHell ), and I got €3 off a coupon ,, so round that up to €80..

I just got a call from DHL to say my phone will be here today, and that there is a charge of €32 owed.

That is 23% customs and the outrageous fee the DHell add on.. Next time I buy a phone, I would just get standard postage, and leave out DHL.

You can use others like UPS

People are continually complaining about the charge from DHL. An Post charge 6euro.
    Processing parcels and dealing with customs takes a persons time and company resources.
    No company that wants to stay in business can afford to do work for free.

You pay a delivery charge already:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

You pay a delivery charge already:confused:

For the delivery, not for their time as the middle man between you and Customs. We can argue about the size of the fee, perhaps, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect no fee whatsoever.

satguy wrote: »

DHL admin fee is 10e so looks like you were overcharged. Should have been 29 something.

• Advertisement

Came across this seller here Sounds like a seller from the ghetto :D

corwill wrote: »
    The only thing I would add to this is to make sure to get a tempered glass screen protector for the Lenovo, as it doesn't appear to have gorilla glass. Even at that, I'd get it ahead of the Mlais based on screen res, battery, manufacturer and price.

Maybe also look at the Jiayu S3 and the Meizu M1 Note, they have the same chip set and should be fairly close price wise. Both have gorilla glass and a 1080p screen.

Thanks for your feedback

Where would you recommend best place to look for the above phones you mentioned? Don't want to be waiting around a month for it.

Cheers

Thanks for your feedback

Where would you recommend best place to look for the above phones you mentioned? Don't want to be waiting around a month for it.

Cheers

Merimobiles, Etotalk, Mixeshop, Aliexpress, Coolicool, theres so many out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Anyone gotten their hands on the Lenovo K3 Note yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Anyone here with a Mi Note?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

spix wrote: »
    What rom version do you have installed? Easiest thing to do would be to update to the xiaomi.eu rom which has all Chinese removed and play store pre-installed.

http://htcfanboys.com/download/acid/?action=list&folder=76903

Where did you buy it from? Loads of fakes going around of the Redmi Note so best to make sure its genuine first.

thanks for the link. How would I check its not fake before I flash it with a new ROM?

thanks for the link. How would I check its not fake before I flash it with a new ROM?

Xiaomi have an app for testing. I think. Might be antutu either, google for the apk

Easiest way is to show where you bought it, if its a known seller it will be genuine. Other than that, install cpu-z to confirm specs are as they should be. If there was a cpu-z already preinstalled make sure to remove it. Check that Mi Recovery is installed by turning off phone and then turning on by holding down vol+ and power button. If it comes up with different recovery it's likely fake.

Is it the 4g version with snapdragon 410 or the 3g with mtk6592?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭dedaw

Recommendations of a phone to replace a smashed S4?
    Preferably from Europe and is ready to go on purchase. No need to flash or custom?

• Advertisement

Xiaomis are always a good bet, ask the store to flash the international ROM if they haven't already. Mi4i, Mi3, MiNote or Redmi are ones to look at

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement