Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Looks like a great phone for the price. Not as good as the Nexus 5 in terms of power, camera, OS, etc but its about half the price.

Definitely a market for it at that price and it's getting Android 4.4 in January or very early next year I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It says available from today, but from where ? Google just returns news stories about it.

edit, from here
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/125095-motorola-moto-g-where-can-i-get-it

€169 8Gb price unlocked is touted as the euro price. It certainly caught my eye.

Endgadet is reporting that it goes on sale in Brazil and Ireland today, but from where god dammit !
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/13/motorola-unveils-the-moto-g-its-new-colorful-and-affordable-and/?ncid=rss_truncated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Definitely picking this up for the missus, gonna fire a email off to CPW up north to see if they are expecting it.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    It says available from today, but from where ? Google just returns news stories about it.

edit, from here
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/125095-motorola-moto-g-where-can-i-get-it

€169 8Gb price unlocked is touted as the euro price. It certainly caught my eye.

Endgadet is reporting that it goes on sale in Brazil and Ireland today, but from where god dammit !
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/13/motorola-unveils-the-moto-g-its-new-colorful-and-affordable-and/?ncid=rss_truncated

Its tomorrow for Brazil and Europe in the coming weeks i was told ??

In the sales tiers, Ireland is in the same as the UK and Brazil, touted within the next 24 hours.
    The Moto G will launch in Brazil the UK and Ireland today, Canada and other parts of Europe in the coming weeks and will come to the US and India in (very) early 2014.

In the sales tiers, Ireland is in the same as the UK and Brazil, touted within the next 24 hours.

Happy days i sent a few emails out, gonna give a few of northern stores a call tomorrow since im close to the border see when they will get them instore and what colour options there will be.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

To put things in perspective, this phone which costs €150 has a better resolution screen than an Iphone 5c which costs €600.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Delightfully Bright

I am very interested in this phone. The only problem is that is doesn't have an SD card slot... Its still amazing value but will there be enough memory? I'm so conflicted by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I am very interested in this phone. The only problem is that is doesn't have an SD card slot... Its still amazing value but will there be enough memory? I'm so conflicted by this.

Depends on how you use the phone. If you use spotify, Google Music All Access or have your own music uploaded to Google music or similar and know how offline storage works then its loads.
    If you download loads of games you'll need the 16GB version.

Its important to have your photos back up to the cloud as well to places like Facebook, Google+, Dropbox etc not just so you'll have the photos if you lose the phone or it gets wiped but also as it frees up space on your device. This should be done even if you have a magic phone with 1TB of storage.

• Advertisement

to put it into perspective i wiped my Galaxy Nexus about 6 months ago, ive all my apps and audiobooks on it and ive still over 12Gb free on a 16Gb phone. If the ROM size is like the Nexus you should have plenty of space, unlike certain Samsung flagships ;) If you like to carry alot of music with you use Google play music to store your music.

All that said when i bought my Nexus 5 i went for the 32Gb , but i know i will never fill it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Moto have done something wonderful here, they have raised the bar in terms of cheaper phones running the latest version of Android.. And from what i could see very smoothly too.

I know for a fact many people will jump at this phone, you get raw android, no crapware, no slowing down overlay, an unlocked device with nice cpu/gpu combo, high PPI HD screen, good battery, swappable covers to make it own, (are you watching iphone c?) and a micro coating to help with real world use, 16GB phone and 65GB google cloud storage ... all that for 200 squid? Come on its the not so lower end phone android been waiting for!

I hope it blows sammy out of the waters with all there galaxy name plastering on any and all chappy handsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Really looking forward to this, hopefully there won't be hoops to jump through just for them to take my money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'm currently using a Huawei G300 and was considering going to a Nexus 5, but this has piqued my interest a lot.

I have a Nexus 7, which I have tethered to my phone's 3G whenever I don't have Wiki. As a result, I don't actually do too much on my phone. This may be ideal.

It's being released in Ireland though so should in theory be easier than messing around with Parcel Motel, but that depends on who the agents are. There may not be a rush for places here to stock k it given it's sim free though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

It's being released in Ireland though so should in theory be easier than messing around with Parcel Motel, but that depends on who the agents are. There may not be a rush for places here to stock k it given it's sim free though.

Super-Saver Delivery - gratis to ROI addresses. :)

Even better, I actually had to check if they delivered electronics to Ireland, for some reason I thought they didn't, even though I had got electronic stuff from them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Great value phone. I've already recommended it to several people. Looking forward to someone getting it so I can have a play. Its amazing value in comparison to 5c, GS3 etc. Not going to match current flagships of course but certainy as good as last years models and at least half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Any ideas yet on where/who will be stocking this in Ireland? O2 have said they've no plans to do so.

• Advertisement

I'd say Carphone Warehouse would probably be your best bet. Can't see many carriers doing it because its so cheap sim free. If you want it soon I'd go for Amazon.

Carhpone Warehouse tweeted to someone yesterday that they don't stock Motorola, that may have changed in the meantime.

Carhpone Warehouse tweeted to someone yesterday that they don't stock Motorola, that may have changed in the meantime.

This site says its available in December in Carphone Warehouse UK?

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/2013/11/13/phones-4u-and-o2-confirm-availability-of-moto-g/

It was from a Carphone Warehouse Ireland tweet, https://twitter.com/CarphoneIE

Ahh, thats a strange one, would've thought they would have largely similar suppliers and stock. Strange.

Add Three to the NO list.

So O2, Three and Carphone Warehouse are saying no at the moment. Tesco mobile probably won't as it's not their business model, doesn't really leave many more does it.

So O2, Three and Carphone Warehouse are saying no at the moment. Tesco mobile probably won't as it's not their business model, doesn't really leave many more does it.

Nope. Expansys maybe?

With Motorola saying Ireland is to be Wave 1 (today), surely they're saying that in the knowledge that somewhere will be stocking them?

Can't see Vodafone doing it, they seem to be focusing on BillPay almost entirely these days. Meteor might do it but its not really an attractive propisition though. I mean its €190 delivered from Amazon for the 16GB version. Presumably Meteor would add on at least an extra €20-50 on top of that on PAYG. Most customers would just buy online?

• Advertisement

CPW (UK) just replied to me , they are stocking it from tomorrow, phones4u will have it too should know later when I talk to the manager again she didn't have much info this morning.

Advertisement