Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Some new rumours coming along now suggesting that there will actually be two Nexus phones this year.

Possible an LG Nexus 5 and a Motorola Nexus 5 also, due to follow the LG release slightly later in the year.

It's not entirely clear of the bona fides of the source though.

It really doesn't make any sense to launch two different nexus' (nexi?) at the same time. Strange. Will be keeping an eye and waiting in anticipation. the LG2 didn't really catch my eye... so a potential Motorola Nexus would be of interest to me...

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/09/11/nexus-5-rumors-take-yet-another-turn/

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/19872/20130911/nexus-5-rumors-confirmed-lg-d820-google.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Looks like it just went through FCC with a few more pics this time ;)

lg-nexus-5-fcc-1379000165.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/12/lg-nexus-5-fcc-again-photos/

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Similar form factor to the last 2 Nexus phones, which is good. Hopefully the glass back will be gone as expected, and it'll be a bit thinner. That being the case, unless it performs terribly (which I can't see) it'll be my next phone, hopefully this side of Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Hmmm the only reason I'd like a plastic back is if it was removable, this doesn't look removable going by the pics. I'd much rather an aluminium or glass back if that's the case to be honest, offers a much more premium feel. I'm liking the narrow bezels though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Are there any leaked specs for this? At the moment it is just looking like a faster CPU, slightly bigger screen and a better camera. Nothing really there to entice a Nexus 4 owner at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Dman001 wrote: »
    Hmmm the only reason I'd like a plastic back is if it was removable, this doesn't look removable going by the pics. I'd much rather an aluminium or glass back if that's the case to be honest, offers a much more premium feel. I'm liking the narrow bezels though.

I'd prefer plastic to glass. You don't get the premium feel, but nor do you get the back cracking if you drop it.

Nolimits wrote: »
    I'd prefer plastic to glass. You don't get the premium feel, but nor do you get the back cracking if you drop it.

Yep, If you have to get a case to protect a shiny or fragile back, it doesn't matter what back is on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

5starpool wrote: »
    Yep, If you have to get a case to protect a shiny or fragile back, it doesn't matter what back is on it.

No way, I hate plastic. Will be holding onto the nexus 4 if the 5 is plastic.
    Lads if ye want plastic get a Google edition Samsung

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Agree with Alpha Dog, I loved my S3 for the first few months but after a year with it I really don't want a plastic phone again. Just hate it, plus the metallic blue paint on the edge gradually scratches off in spots. Looks awful.

To be honest, my phone goes straight into a case of some form as soon as I get it, so I am generally not too worried about the back.

I loved the look of my Galaxy Nexus when I got it and didn't bother with a case... a hard lesson. Two weeks later I had a V shaped crack from one side of the screen to the other. It hasn't interfered with usage of the phone, but definitely ruined its good looks :mad::(

Maybe a screen protector is a compromise to protect the screen yet display a phone in all its beautiful glory but I am still most likely going to err on the side of caution and get a cover for my new phone whether its the Nexus 5, S5 or other.. I have an iPhone 4s as a work phone:eek::o and it was put straight into a case when I got it last February... not a mark on it today

• Advertisement

I don't like phone cases, and thankfully have never damaged any phone I've owned by dropping it, although too much glass would be asking for trouble. I like the back on my Galaxy Nexus, although that is like that as it is removable, which I guess the N5 won't be. I don't want cheap a plastic feel to it, but plastic does not mean it has to feel or look cheap imo.

I use a cover if I think i might be in a situation where I could damage my phone by dropping it etc. When I'm heading out basically. Otherwise I leave it as is. If the new Nexus is something like what the Moto X has been described as I wouldn't mind too much but if it feels like my S3 i'll be very disappointed.

I'm not sure what the story is with the GS3/4 or the Moto X, but with my experience with plastic phones is they are just as prone to breakages, cracks, scuffs and scratches just as much as a glass-based phone is prone to shattering when dropped. I know the likes of the One X had a pretty sturdy plastic back, so this may not always be the case. Anyway, personally if a manufacturer is not giving me access to a battery and/or memory card slot, I'd rather a glass or aluminium built device.

I'd also take the position that, regardless of what your phone is built of, if you're spending a few hundred on a device it should be put into a case regardless. The argument that a glass-based phone needs to be put into a case is redundant as every phone should be put into a case IMO.

I'm not sure what the story is with the GS3/4 or the Moto X, but with my experience with plastic phones is they are just as prone to breakages, cracks, scuffs and scratches just as much as a glass-based phone is prone to shattering when dropped. I know the likes of the One X had a pretty sturdy plastic back, so this may not always be the case. Anyway, personally if a manufacturer is not giving me access to a battery and/or memory card slot, I'd rather a glass or aluminium built device.

I'd also take the position that, regardless of what your phone is built of, if you're spending a few hundred on a device it should be put into a case regardless. The argument that a glass-based phone needs to be put into a case is redundant as every phone should be put into a case IMO.

The counter argument would be that a case ruins the aesthetics of the phone. A lot of people I know would rather show off their shiny iPhone or One than putting it in a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Cases just add unnecessary bulk. I've had glass phones since the iphone 4 was released a few years back and I never use a case. Haven't had any issues or cracks. I also don't pamper my phones which makes me wonder how other people look after theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Because even if people are reasonably careful with their phones it's always nice to have that extra level of assurance provided by a case in the event of an accident.

I keep my phone in my pocket with my wallet, and keys/coins in the other front pocket. If I use a case it would be way too bulky with my wallet for comfort. I'm not against cases in principle as I have one on my tablet as it prevents scratching when packed in a bag, but I don't want a case on my phone. Thickness and lightness as well as general aesthetics are important for me, but I would have concerns for scratches on glass/aluminium backs that would not necessarily be the same on plastic, if it were the right type.

My Galaxy Nexus is in near perfect shape (touch wood) nearly 2 years on from purchase, fwiw.

The back cover of my S3 is scratched in several places, plastic is just as prone to scratches/blemishes as glass or aluminium in my experience.

Maybe, but it would irritate me less than scratched glass :)

I would prefer glass than cheap feeling plastic though.

I think if the plastic is done well it can be fine, the Moto X looks like a good example of that. The Samsung does feel cheap though and I'd be hopeful the new Nexus is closer to the Moto X than any of the Samsung phones in feel.

• Advertisement

jester77 wrote: »
    Cases just add unnecessary bulk. I've had glass phones since the iphone 4 was released a few years back and I never use a case. Haven't had any issues or cracks. I also don't pamper my phones which makes me wonder how other people look after theirs.
    I hate cases as much as the next person, they are bulky and usually hideous. But I'm happy to put up with it if it means it saves my screen from an accidental drop. Like I said, if you're paying so much for a new phone, as case is a must. That's my 2 Cents. I'm not convinced of the argument for plastic phones, or their durability over glass phones.

5starpool wrote: »
    I keep my phone in my pocket with my wallet, and keys/coins in the other front pocket. If I use a case it would be way too bulky with my wallet for comfort. I'm not against cases in principle as I have one on my tablet as it prevents scratching when packed in a bag, but I don't want a case on my phone. Thickness and lightness as well as general aesthetics are important for me, but I would have concerns for scratches on glass/aluminium backs that would not necessarily be the same on plastic, if it were the right type.

My Galaxy Nexus is in near perfect shape (touch wood) nearly 2 years on from purchase, fwiw.

Keep my phone and wallet (and change) in opposite pockets, don't really find there to be that much difference in size with a case than without. I'm generally pretty careful with my phone but drops have happened and I would much rather have to put up with the extra bulk than to have to replace the screen.

Then again I usually stick to leather flip cases which are both protective and aesthetically pleasing, can't understand people who only get a cover for the back and leave the front completely exposed, especially phones without toughened materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Would be nice to have it by this time next month but I wouldn't put too much stock in IBTimes, they've been "reporting" on the Nexus 5 for months based on nothing but speculation and rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The plot thickens

Quite the opposite I would have thought??

"The images of the handset above fall right in line with previous leaks."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Reminds me of last year when the phone was mistakenly left in a pub with a if found return to Google sticker.
    End of October sounds about right, wonder what the prices will be.

According to what I read, the employee left it charging and went to the bathroom at which point the barman did the videos which is why he couldn't get past the lockscreen/pattern. Pretty crazy to think someone could be that silly to leave a phone like that unattended in a bar. Very similar to the iPhone 4 leak I suppose.

Not too keen on the design of the phone as of yet but I'll wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Technophobe

According to what I read, the employee left it charging and went to the bathroom at which point the barman did the videos which is why he couldn't get past the lockscreen/pattern. Pretty crazy to think someone could be that silly to leave a phone like that unattended in a bar. Very similar to the iPhone 4 leak I suppose.

Not too keen on the design of the phone as of yet but I'll wait and see.

battery must be sh1te so....:D

Maybe he left it there deliberately;) (if story is true...)

• Advertisement

battery must be sh1te so....:D

Maybe he left it there deliberately;) (if story is true...)

I am not overly impressed with the battery to be honest. I will reserve judgement until we see the alleged battery saving performance Android 4.4. Which I am skeptical about anyway...

I would say, the phone was left deliberately or else the entire thing is a staged story. Either way, most of Google's supposed leaks are purposely done.

Advertisement