Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Rooting is mainly for the installation of other ROMs but there is some cool stuff you can do like apps to get rid of annoying ads from other free apps and other superuser stuff but alternative roms is the main reason for rooting, dont think anyones overclocked the processor on the G3 yet anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 vin33

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I would believe ejiayu.com ahead of jiayumobileshop.com. ejiayu says in several places that they know of jiayumobileshop and they are NOT official resellers, if such a thing exists for these sorts of things.

There was similiar confusion with UMi X1 regarding wifi but in the end I was of the opinion it was on n. Best to check on your router what speed your connection is.
    I would guess its more likely that the router doesn't support n. If its a free router from your ISP I reckon it will only be b&g.

Re. battery and deep sleep, if you're getting any deep sleep then the phone is correctly set up. I find that yahoo mail on my phone blocks deep sleep. Also the phone once connected to the charger does not get any more deep sleep without a reboot.

Re. rooting, be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

I ordered the G3 and received it last week. Been messing about with a few ROMs.
    At the moment the Official LeWa ROM 13.01.04 (Y/M/D) build 1263 seems to be the best. LED shows notifications.

Downloaded from Here

It didn’t have Play but downloaded it from the Market Store app the rom came with.

Battery is better and new rom has less lag and plenty of features.
    Not sure how much battery power is better by as I’m constantly messing with phone at moment. Will have better idea next week when I go back to college.

My previous android was the Xperia Play (bought Oct 2011), its a lot better than that but its the only one I can compare it with.

For me its a great phone, but the back is very fragile and will break if dropped I think.

After you install that ROM you would need to install the GAPPS update which has all the google related apps such as the playstore....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

What sites are recommended for finding info on roms/rooting for these phones? I have a UMI X1 on the way and would like to be aware of any issues/fixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

What sites are recommended for finding info on roms/rooting for these phones? I have a UMI X1 on the way and would like to be aware of any issues/fixes.

Read the second post;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

bidiots wrote: »

After you install that ROM you would need to install the GAPPS update which has all the google related apps such as the playstore....
    Thanks, did it manually. I used GAAPS on the original ROM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭positron

Isn't it typical that just days after ordering G3, Galaxy Note II has dropped below 400 euro?! I was watching the price on that for ages and was planning to buy it if it drops below 400. Ah well.

Link for those who are interested: http://www.amazon.de/Samsung-Smartphone-Touchscreen-Quad-core-titanium-grau/dp/B0099LATZ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1358430712&sr=1-1

That link says 498 Euro?

• Advertisement

See the 'Buy new' link to market place. It popped up on Keepa and I can still see '48 neu ab EUR 399,99'. May have shipping etc on top.

PS: You are right, cheapest I can see in the market place is 448.50 from 'CBier'. Amazon front page still says 399.99 - must be an error from Amazon that duped Keepa and in turn got me. Apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 llc

See:-
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1978103

There's help to root the phone which wasn't that easy, fixing GPS, fixing partitions and ROMs. I didn't bother with the partition.

Use the Jellybean Rom from 18/12/12 (with UMI launcher) or 01/01/13 (without launcher). The previous ROMs have bugs. I'm using the ROM from 1/1/13 and its good but I do like the UMI launcher eg the 3D effect with apps.
    The only bugs that annoy me. It doesn't convert a number to a contact if for example you have the +353 prefix stored. Sometimes the screen activates and my ear activates Airplane mode killing the call.

But most of all, be careful with the screen, its not robust, maybe buy a case.

Jiayu G3 that I ordered with mixeshop on 14th has just been delivered. No import duty / dhl handling charges either. Impressed. Yet to open the package though.

Mine only got dispatched today! How much did yours come to altogether Positron?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 vin33

positron wrote: »
    Jiayu G3 that I ordered with mixeshop on 14th has just been delivered. No import duty / dhl handling charges either. Impressed. Yet to open the package though.

Interested to see what you make of the phone.

Don't get your hopes on with DHL. They probably will send you an invoice with handling charge and customs fee.

Okay I have taken it out of the box (which in itself was a challenge - you could kill someone with that sticky tape stuff..). So I got a black G3, battery was already installed in the phone, a seat charger (I stupidly ordered that but didn't order spare battery), 32 gb sd already installed on the phone (can't figure out how to take it out - there's no spring loading click thing as far as I can tell), a usb to micro usb cable, chinese plug and chinese to two-pin adaptor, and a black silicon case that I didn't order, and screen protector too.

The phone sure is big. It's thick - it's not iPhone thin, but I knew that. Its only a hair thicker than the Ascend G300. The square edges makes it look thicker than it actually is. It starts up in English, everything works straight away. First impressions are great - will update later once I have had a chance to actually try and use it.
    Thargor wrote: »
    Mine only got dispatched today! How much did yours come to altogether Positron?

Approx 187 in total, including 32gb sd card, seat charger and shipping. (details on post #50)
    vin33 wrote: »
    Don't get your hopes on with DHL. They probably will send you an invoice with handling charge and customs fee.

I really hope not.. I would totally and completely deny all knowledge of taking any delivery from them :D

Balls, you got a better deal than me, mine came to 179, no SD card or seat charger and still no phone for probably a week or 2, not too bothered though I have an ashtray full of memory cards in my room from all the crap Ive bought on bargain alerts over the years.

Do keep us updated please especially if you flash it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

positron wrote: »
    32 gb sd already installed on the phone
    I'd be interested to hear how fast the card is. e.g. if it will handle HD video recording or 720p h264 playback. They just told me it wasn't class 10, but maybe some of the lower speeds will do me fine?
    That G3 just looked too big (and clunky TBH) for me.
    They did say that it was too late to cancel the SD card only a few hours after I ordered it, so I'm hoping this means a super fast delivery speed!

I'd be interested to hear how fast the card is. e.g. if it will handle HD video recording or 720p h264 playback. They just told me it wasn't class 10, but maybe some of the lower speeds will do me fine?!

I downloaded a 720p H.264 clip (Serenity, from here) and I can certainly see that it's not as fluid as it is on the laptop. Not sure if it's the phone, or the ROM, or the card speed etc. I think have a 16 gb class 10 lying around somewhere, I will give it a go with that at some stage - will update.

ROM Android 4.1.2 Official Beta 1 for G3 is out HERE

Think full version is due 20/01/13.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

ROM Android 4.1.2 Official Beta 1 for G3 is out HERE

Think full version is due 20/01/13.
    Is there a G2 edition? Hardware is very similar...

Is there a G2 edition? Hardware is very similar...
    Yes, the G2 has an official release. click on the needrom logo and then scroll down to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Anyone got any AnTuTu scores for either of these phones? Also is the Chrome browser working well on them? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

beardo81 wrote: »
    Anyone got any AnTuTu scores for either of these phones? Also is the Chrome browser working well on them? Thanks.

Check them out here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8gdyHd3tgc

From stock G3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I presume a seat charger is a charging dock?

I didn't realise I could get a decent smartphone for €130. Going to treat myself to a G2. Tweeting off my 2008 Nokia budget phone is giving me RSI. Any decent car charging options for these badboys?

I thought so too, but at least with mixeshop it's actually means the little cradle to put a battery (not the phone) into - to charge a battery outside the phone. Like this:

Yiboyuan_mobile_seat_charger_with_usb_port.jpg

For fecks sake Singapore Post just recieved my package today according to tracking. I ordered on the 9th. Hopefully it'll appear at the hub in Munich or London overnight the way they do sometimes and then ill have it a day or 2 later.

I am really getting used to this phone now that I have had it a few days.

IMHO, it's not a great phone in anyway, but it's pretty good at a lot of things. Most impressive feature is how rigid it feels - and that's all due to the screen and the metal (looking?) bezel around the screen. The back is plastic vastness but it doesn't take anything away from the well-built feel of the phone.

The camera is okay for a phone camera. It runs more apps that you can shake a stick at. Gaming etc is great fun with the large screen. Streams Netflix, TED, Youtube whatever I want to watch. Google Currents etc to keep me on that constant 'information high'. Wifi capabilities are a bit poor - phone struggles when at the room farthest away from the router - my laptop (and Ascend G300) has no problem holding connection there. Screen is brilliant as it's nice and big. Images are crisp but only as crisp as G300, not sure if this is supposed to be exceptionally better, but it's very usable and with fast response to slide/pinch/zoom while in gallery, it's a really enjoyable anyway.

Again, not a great phone - but a very good phone when you consider the price.

Sample photo: http://i.imgur.com/oVP15SQ.jpg

• Advertisement

Hows the battery holding up?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement