Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walker WP645TS-HD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mcginncf

I have installed firmware V2.8 to see if there was any fix for the BBC red button multiscreen options for 1,2,3 etc. but it is still not working. Has anyone else found a workaround to access the red button options, as having had it on the previous Humax box, missing it already !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

The new firmware v2.9 is now out for this box. It's available on the blog section of tvtrade.ie. It doesn't state that it does anything other than allow you to record terrestrial and watch satellite and vie versa. Still though, a very beneficial addition to this box.

Hi detective. Can't see that V2.9 download link at all in the Blog section of TVTRADE.ie, other than reference to using the Download tab section of the Walker WP645TS product for V2.3 - :confused:

mcginncf wrote: »
    Hi detective. Can't see that V2.9 download link at all in the Blog section of TVTRADE.ie, other than reference to using the Download tab section of the Walker WP645TS product for V2.3 - :confused:

Looks like they took it down?

pm me with your email and ill try and send it to you. cant seem to attach it to this.

• Advertisement

Ok the v2.9 upgrade is back up now http://www.tvtrade.ie/blog/

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nolnah

Hi Detective, will ver 2.9 give you full epg on Sat channells.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

nolnah wrote: »
    Hi Detective, will ver 2.9 give you full epg on Sat channells.
    I think that one's v2.8?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 nolnah

byte wrote: »
    I think that one's v2.8?
    Thanks byte, just wondered if it had the best of both versions.
    Still trying to locate source of download for ver 2.8

nolnah wrote: »
    byte wrote: »
    I think that one's v2.8?
    Thanks byte, just wondered if it had the best of both versions.
    Still trying to locate source of download for ver 2.8

Are they not backwards compatible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

detective wrote: »
    Looks like they took it down?

Yeah sorry about that, we had to move to a cluster setup during week to increase the capacity of our website due to the load on it and what is expected to come down the line when the 'panic' kicks in, anyway there was a problem with a script mirroring the incorrect server so depending on what server you were actually passed off to when you went to the site, the info may/may not be there. We corrected the script on Sat morning, so no matter what server you land on now, it should be there.

Walker WP645TS-HD V2.9 Firmware Download & Install/Demo Videos

If it doesn't show up at any point, can ye let us know as this is the first time we have had a cluster setup and spent the last week knocking the kinks out of it. It should be ok now but eagle eyed boardsies might spot something we missed. Can't see the forest for the trees and all that....

Here's the link for V2.8
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?vb3rz4rvsb85oyr
    The epg is available for satellite but sometimes does not fill out properly. I have found V2.8 also freezes up and you have to plug out & in again. It gives you terrestrial, satellite & satfree while V2.9 just has terrestrial & satellite which is much better.
    Those who live on east coast can pick up digital TV from Wales also and get full epg on those terrestrial signals

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kb2007

A quick update on v.2.9. Easy to install, recording seems to work well and Walker implemented change to easily access programme info by pressing info button twice (thanks). Also, HDCP on/off now easier to locate. As usual, pictures are very good on HD channels.

However, v 2.9 seems to have finally killed the menu>timers function on my box. This was flaky under 2.3 but can't access at all now. Box gets confused, screen goes blank for 5-10 seconds and then image comes back (timers screen does not show). Can't set any timers now! However, haven't seen anyone else comment on this so maybe it is specific to my box.

Anyone know how to totally reinstall software on this box? Have done searches but can't find instructions. Will "First Time Installation" option lead to a fresh start and hopefully bring the timers back?

I've been having trouble with timers too although in a different way. I have timers menu but it won't record the whole time allotment and cuts off after 10-15mins... weird!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mack daddy

so whats in store in the next patch? will we get our 7 day epg on sat???? many thanks gerry wicklow iv itv hd tuned in again

Had never used the Timers but tried it out with a FAT32 formatted USB and the Timers menu displayed perfectly, added a program to record, it did so, and played it back again, so perhaps problem is on your box.

Re-installing software on the box to my mind is what the firmware is, i.e. that is the software. You should format a USB stick with FAT32, then copy just the firmware file to it, unplug the box, stick the USB in, and plug in again. The firmware loads and will bring you to the screen for First Time installation.

Must say I've found V2.9 firmware to be the best so far and have had no problems with it, albeit you can't use the BBC red button multi-screen options, but will live that with the 24 Oct Saorview date fast approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kb2007

Timers issue was related to size of USB drive (mine was 1TB). I wasn't aware that a 320Gb max size is recommended. Connected right size drive today and timers work again. Thanks to tvtrade.ie for the advice.

kb2007 wrote: »
    Timers issue was related to size of USB drive (mine was 1TB). I wasn't aware that a 320Gb max size is recommended. Connected right size drive today and timers work again. Thanks to tvtrade.ie for the advice.

Anytime I try and record (and I've only tried ITV 1 HD) it records for 10-15 mins and cuts off. I'm using a 320gb drive with plenty space? Any diagnosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 coopershels

Hey there,

I have the Walker WP645TS-HD and it keeps freezing on me. it is running on v2.8 firmware with the sat free channels and when it freezes it stays on one channel that still works (sound and picture wise) but it won't allow me to change channel or turn off the box. it needs to be unplugged and plugged in again for it to work again. i only have it a day and was gonna bring it back.

I tried firmware v2.9 but the sat free channels list disappears when you upgrade.

does anyone have this problem or is it a faulty box? does anyone know of a fix?

any help would be great, thanks.

No, V2.9 features terrestrial & satellite only. Satfree on V2.8 was the same as satellite. V2.8 was an effort at an extended EPG for satellite(satfree) channels but then mine freezed up too (see my earlier posts).
    I've V2.9 over a week now and find it the best yet. Stick with the Walker combo, as there'll be more firmware updates to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 dbesteva

I saw strange problems with the v2.8 release linked in one of the previous posts.

The satellite and satfree parts seemed to be working grand, but strangely, it was the saorview that was giving me all the problems.
    It was very jumpy, couldn't watch anything on it. Is it here ye were seeing the problems, or was it only in the satellite tuner the problems arose for ye?

I also tried to use a channel list I found online (http://astraltv.ie/walker_upgrade.html) for the satellite part in v2.8, but that didn't seem to be recognized at all on v2.8. I couldn't find the channel list on the tvtrade site to try.

Granted though, I only tested it out for about half a hour before reverting back to the new v2.9 on the tvtrade site.
    Without watchable saorview channels, the box would have been pointless to me.
    Channel list file worked grand on v2.9 as well.

I am finding though that when i go into the multi-screen on the bbc's though that I can't change to the other channels. When I press the number, it changes the channel on the box itself, rather than to the red button option.

Also, just out of curiosity, do the guys at walker actually have a official site where they upload there firmware updates?
    I noticed on the walker.ie site they have a link in the downloads section called "Force Upgrade File".
    Is this file the same as the one on tvtrade and intended for all boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 antamadan

Hi, my Dad has a similar problem to an earlier poster. i.e. can change channels on terrestrial, but when shifts to sat, it stays on BBC1. He only got the box a couple of weeks ago, so it hardly needs a firmware upday I suppose. Any advice? Also, there doesn't seem to be a helpline phone no. in the instructions manual, which seems a bit funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Hi,

I'm having a problem with one of these boxes.

If you put the box in standby and then turn on after a while, "init" appears on the front of the box and nothing appears on screen....stays like that indefinetly.

Have to plug it out and back in and sometimes that doesn't even sort it.

Anyone else had this problem or know a fix.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Hi,

I'm having a problem with one of these boxes.

If you put the box in standby and then turn on after a while, "init" appears on the front of the box and nothing appears on screen....stays like that indefinetly.

Have to plug it out and back in and sometimes that doesn't even sort it.

Anyone else had this problem or know a fix.

Thanks

I would reflash the firmware to it to see if it cures your issue.

At a guess (i dont have one of these) but "Init" is short for initialising. It could be a known bug with waking from standby that needs to be resolved with a future firmware upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I tried the 2.8 firmware a few weeks ago but it was totally unusable - it wouldn't respond to any user input (remote or buttons on front panel). Fortunately it still recognised USB firmware upgrades so was able to revert back to 2.5. Haven't tried 2.9 yet, but kinda like not having to manually tune/sort the satellite channels and get the full EPG.

Does anyone know how to play recordings from these STBs on a PC? There seem to be these IFO files that do nothing, but the data seems to be stored in these "chunk" files (e.g. chunk.0, chunk.1, etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 41 coopershels

I tried the 2.8 firmware a few weeks ago but it was totally unusable - it wouldn't respond to any user input (remote or buttons on front panel). Fortunately it still recognised USB firmware upgrades so was able to revert back to 2.5. Haven't tried 2.9 yet, but kinda like not having to manually tune/sort the satellite channels and get the full EPG.

Hey there, does v2.5 give you the sat free list with the epg for satellite like 2.8 does. i tried v2.8 and it kept freezing on me so i upgraded to 2.9 which works perfectly and I never had a single problem with it but no epg and you have to manual tune and sort.

if 2.5 does have the epg where do i get it, please.

thanks.

byte

I've flashed the Nordmende Saorview combi box with Walker software, it flashed fine, seems there is no difference at all internally between Walker and Nordmende (I thought there might have been slight differences so that one s/w wouldn't work with another brand).

The 2.8 worked fine on the Nordmende, as well as it can I guess, as I'm not keen on it. v2.9 though seems a very good release and appears to have addressed ITV1HD issues with the symbol rate.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not suggesting people go out and flash their Nordmende boxes with the Walker s/w, but it worked for me :) Caveat Emptor, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Interesting byte. Just clarified that they are just that rebadges, rather than clones. It makes sense as an OTA upgrade would be offered to the range with one software definition file for those group of boxes.

By the way I would advise anyone thinking of sticking on the patch for the 7 day epg hack and red button, not to bother as BBC are moving stuff around at the moment and some of the button mapping will not work as the streams will have moved.

byte

Yeah, it does make sense for OTA alright, as many/most Saorview boxes are Vestels it seems.

Only recently realised that there is one with a Finlux brandname, though don't stock Finlux to test/brick it :)

I think that Satfree v2.8 is quite buggy and even without BBC moving about, I'd still not recommend it. v2.9 whilst not having the Satfree EPG, seems quite stable, just a shame there's no 7 day listings.

• Advertisement

Like a few others on this thread, I wondered about losing the BBC red button multiscreen options. I just found this info on it after pressing red this evening. Seems like multiscreen has come go an end.

"BBC is reducing the number of video streams via Red Button from nine to one.
    • This is because Red Button relies entirely on linear broadcast technologies, which are not cost-effective for an interactive service like Red Button.
    • Sport on Red Button will be most affected by this change as the permanent Sport multiscreen will no longer be available"

More at http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tv_and_radio/5345480.stm

Advertisement