Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Zascar wrote: »
    I disagree I think HTC have done well with the One, and having such a big head start they may get ahead before the S3 even comes out. The One has been getting great reviews, the S3 would have to totally smash it to be able to top it again this year..

I agree, the HTC One series are 2-3 months ahead of the SGS3 to market, that's going to count for alot, plus the SGS3 is going to be hard pushed to beat the One X when it arrives. I expect the One X to do much better vthe SGS3 than the Sensation did v the SGS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Personally I think HTC have failed to impress in a while now... the S3 will beat the snot out of the HTC One / S and no mistake.

HTC in my opinion keep firing out the same boring look for their phones, then they put naff all internal memory in the phone, sense is crap imo (yes my first android phone was htc desire so i have used it). Then the specs are always just short of the mark with other manufacturers namely sammy / lg in europe and add moto in the US (hope they make a come back here under googles reins)

As for the earlier comment of Sammy Galaxy phones not having a status light I think this is a good thing... status lights (again in my opinion) are an annoyance and pointless and inevitably get turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

fionny wrote: »
    Personally I think HTC have failed to impress in a while now... the S3 will beat the snot out of the HTC One / S and no mistake.

HTC in my opinion keep firing out the same boring look for their phones, then they put naff all internal memory in the phone, sense is crap imo (yes my first android phone was htc desire so i have used it). Then the specs are always just short of the mark with other manufacturers namely sammy / lg in europe and add moto in the US (hope they make a come back here under googles reins)

As for the earlier comment of Sammy Galaxy phones not having a status light I think this is a good thing... status lights (again in my opinion) are an annoyance and pointless and inevitably get turned off.

Have you even looked at the One series?
    The designs stand out (more then samsungs looking at my current s2). The higher end X has 32gb onboard and 16gb on the S.
    Plus they actually listened about Sense. It isnt nearly as intrusive in 4.0 (and looks a hell of a lot nicer then Touchwiz)

Have you even looked at the One series?

Yes I have, the only thing they seem to have changed is the fact they have cottoned on to putting more internal memory in.

EDIT: I also see they haven't learned about cutting corners with their batteries. 1650mah and 1800mah... they need to up the anti here.

EDIT EDIT: all that aside this thread is for the GS3 and its rumours not a HTC vs Sammy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Inquitus wrote: »
    I expect the One X to do much better vthe SGS3 than the Sensation did v the SGS2.

The One X does not smack nearly as much of HTC putting their feet up as the Sensation does.

But the S3 is an unknown quantity at this point, and nothing is guaranteed either way.

My contract is up this week, and i'm holding off until i know more about the S3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Was talking to someone in a Meteor shop today. Said if the SG3 is released by samsung in the next month it won't be available in the Meteor store for another 6-7 months. Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

dory wrote: »
    Was talking to someone in a Meteor shop today. Said if the SG3 is released by samsung in the next month it won't be available in the Meteor store for another 6-7 months. Is this true?

Probably because the likes of Vodafone/O2 would get exclusives on it for the first few months and they also wouldn't release it for another month or so after the official release. Presumably so they can stick their own roms on it with the usual bloatware

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Probably because the likes of Vodafone/O2 would get exclusives on it for the first few months and they also wouldn't release it for another month or so after the official release. Presumably so they can stick their own roms on it with the usual bloatware

All of the networks will have to test the device on their networks with the relevant settings configured [not just bloatware]. I doubt it would be available for immediate release anywhere from any network from day one.

The networks don't just take the manufactures word that it's perfect and conforms to all standards:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

dory wrote: »

seems a bit extreme tbh, a couple of months maybe. Samsung know the demand for this will be massive. The only thing holding up the phone IMO would be carriers having exclusive rights on it for a while. I think doing thats a mistake though, it didnt do HTC any favours when they did that with the Sensation

Plus there's been stories going around for ages that samsung wants there to be minimal time between announcement and it being available. Undoubtedly, its already in production, its just a matter of launching it when production stabilises..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I'm still thinking May announcement, June launch. With that said, it will most likely be a UK June launch and a July Irish launch but, as Zonda mentioned, I can't see Samsung waiting 6-7 months to launch the handset in Ireland considering the SII was so popular.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Like Samsung won't release a revised version or two of it within six months of launch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

All the talk/rumours today is that a very last minute (just before production) the decision (which apparently was 50/50) was made to keep the physical home button.

Im disappointed if its true. One of the things i love about my galaxy nexus is the lack of physical buttons at the front and touch ones instead. It probably means no notification led if true (hope not)

What do you think?

http://www.gsmarena.com/galaxy_s_iii_to_have_home_button_5icon_layout_too-news-4080.php

thomasj wrote: »
    All the talk/rumours today is that a very last minute (just before production) the decision (which apparently was 50/50) was made to keep the physical home button.

Im disappointed if its true. One of the things i love about my galaxy nexus is the lack of physical buttons at the front and touch ones instead. It probably means no notification led if true (hope not)

What do you think?

http://www.gsmarena.com/galaxy_s_iii_to_have_home_button_5icon_layout_too-news-4080.php

Hope not as that points at this design

gsmarena_001.jpg

and its a Fugly iPhone wannabe like the SGS and SGS2

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

That side profile does not match up with the front view. Its looks like the white bit is recessed so it shouldnt be visible from the side. Seems fake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

shuyin1 wrote: »

That side profile does not match up with the front view. Its looks like the white bit is recessed so it shouldnt be visible from the side. Seems fake :)

I think you are looking at that side view the wrong way round...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

shuyin1 wrote: »

I think you are looking at that side view the wrong way round...

Agreed. If you closely at the side view shot the buttons are the power and camera and a camera shutter. So surely that side view is of the right hand side of the phone and therefore the white colour looks correct. I hope doc daneeka you are right about it being fake but I have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

gsmarena_001.jpg

That one has been around for weeks and its a fake. Look at the gap in the status bar, clearly just photoshopped

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/27/samsung-galaxy-s-player-wifi-4-2/

Its just a lightly butchered one of these.

That design wont impress anyone, expect a minimal bezel on the real thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Anky2930

Its a very good news and here is another important news coming from Samsung's corner that is, Samsung GALAXY note 10.1 16GB is an Android 4.0 Tablet which comes with the S pen allowing you to write with precision and clarity. It has a dual core processor running at 1.4 GHz . WITH A 3.2 MP front camera and a 2 MP rear camera, you can click pictures and make video recordings with clarity. Its 16 GB storage capacity allows you to download and store huge number of songs and videos. Powered by Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 OS, you enjoy your entertainment with no fuss at all.

Anky2930 wrote: »
    Its a very good news and here is another important news coming from Samsung's corner that is, Samsung GALAXY note 10.1 16GB is an Android 4.0 Tablet which comes with the S pen allowing you to write with precision and clarity. It has a dual core processor running at 1.4 GHz . WITH A 3.2 MP front camera and a 2 MP rear camera, you can click pictures and make video recordings with clarity. Its 16 GB storage capacity allows you to download and store huge number of songs and videos. Powered by Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4.0 OS, you enjoy your entertainment with no fuss at all.

Sorry? Are you a marketeer or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

We're the marketeers, you can be one too.

• Advertisement

Still absolutely no mutterings of the SGS3 in the trade. Samsung are doing much better than Apple at keeping secrets. Either that or there really is no SGS3 nearing release :)

RangeR wrote: »
    Still absolutely no mutterings of the SGS3 in the trade. Samsung are doing much better than Apple at keeping secrets. Either that or there really is no SGS3 nearing release :)

By trade do you mean in phone shops? Because in my experience phone shop staff tend to not even know about phones after release dates are announced.

They have acknowledged that they will be doing an event for the launch of a new device some time back.

fionny wrote: »
    By trade do you mean in phone shops?

No. Quite further up the chain. Think wholesale fulfillment.

RangeR wrote: »
    No. Quite further up the chain. Think wholesale fulfillment.

Fair due's, a new handset is coming though that much as been confirmed by statements saying they will make announcements via twitter etc... also some people (see tweet i posted some pages back) have actually (supposedly) handled it.

They have also said they do want to take a leaf out of apple's book and have the announcement and release dates close together so no months and months of waiting.

Im guessing and all signs point to a late May announcment with a late June / ealy July launch. hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Bit brave of amazon stores to be selling GS3 related stuff.

Sorry for the blown up pic but do you see the 4G and what looks like a S-pen app? Also sorry if this is on old debunked pic...

51Sike114uL.jpg

71Wi5CK04pL._AA1500_.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That must be a fake, there is no home button.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

That was 1 of the 1st fake renders to pop up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

It's a good fake, looks really nice.

Don't know whether to hold out to hear about this phone or to buy a Nexus or One X

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

One X beats nexus hands down - I think I'm just going to go for it now rather than wait. There is ALWAYS something better down the line, you could wait forever. Only thing that would swap me is better battery life and maybe a dedicated camera button. One X battery seems to be ok, and the camera is excellent with very quick to shot, not sure its worth a several month wait tbh - might not be worth it.

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    One X beats nexus hands down - I think I'm just going to go for it now rather than wait. There is ALWAYS something better down the line, you could wait forever. Only thing that would swap me is better battery life and maybe a dedicated camera button. One X battery seems to be ok, and the camera is excellent with very quick to shot, not sure its worth a several month wait tbh - might not be worth it.

The Galaxy S3 will have a more powerful CPU+GPU combination, the exynos is the most powerful soc out there, but tbh phones are beginning to reach the point PCs have been at for a while where once your CPU is powerful enough, you really don't gain much real world benefit from the latest and greatest, an i7 doesnt really show much benefit over a Q6600 from a few years back unless you are encoding HD video and the like.

I think Samsung will struggle to match the Camera on the One X, it is something quite special.

The Samsung will undoubtedly have the better screen, probably a Super Amoled + 1080p display, but again there is a point where a screen is "good enough" and thats probably at the Galaxy Nexus display level which is a notch below the One X.

HTC always wins the aesthetics battle for me, I find the SGS styling to date a bit of an iPhone 3 rip off tbh, and I didn't like the iPhone 3 styling.

I think people will be very happy with either phone, and if it was up to me and I had an upgrade now I would probably nab a One X, my upgrade is not til June however so I will likely have a chance to have a peek at an SGS3 before I need to decide!

Advertisement