Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Satellite & Virgin media broadband

Options
  • 24-11-2020 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Apologies if this should be in a different board.

At the moment I have Virgin media broadband/tv/phone but I'm looking at dropping the tv part of the package and getting Sky instead.

Is it possible to bring the two signals (broadband and satellite) into one cable and then split them again.

I've seen some combiners for terrestrial and satellite feeds but will that work on a broadband and satellite feed too?

If this isn't possible, it's not the end of the world, it just means I'll have a cable coming down the wall instead of being neatly in a conduit under plaster.

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

No, under no circumstances can a satellite and cable feed be combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Sky Q will be expensive depending on package needed,have you checked the sky threads for feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭multisport

Vic_08 wrote: »
    No, under no circumstances can a satellite and cable feed be combined.
    Is there a technical reason for that, given that analog and satellite can be combined and then split?

Broadband will come from a router

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

multisport wrote: »
    Is there a technical reason for that, given that analog and satellite can be combined and then split?

SkyQ works differently to the previous versions of Sky. SkyQ uses wideband technology to send the feeds from the LNB to the receiver.

Wideband technology spreads the intermediate frequency from the LNB to the receiver across a wider frequency range which now overlaps the terrestrial frequency range, this prevents SkyQ and terrestrial/cable sharing the same cabling.

Legacy I.F. range 950-2150 MHz
    SkyQ I.F. range 290–2340 MHz

Terrestrial frequency range 470-694 MHz

• Advertisement

The Cush, thank you. It might be a technical answer but I understand it and it's what I was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

The Cush wrote: »
    SkyQ works differently to the previous versions of Sky. SkyQ uses wideband technology to send the feeds from the LNB to the receiver.

Wideband technology spreads the intermediate frequency from the LNB to the receiver across a wider frequency range which now overlaps the terrestrial frequency range, this prevents SkyQ and terrestrial/cable sharing the same cabling.

Legacy I.F. range 950-2150 MHz
    SkyQ I.F. range 290–2340 MHz

Terrestrial frequency range 470-694 MHz

The inference in that answer that suggests non-sky Q legacy satellite feeds can be combined with cable is absolutely wrong.

Analogue cable and UHF terrestrial could be combined in the past but only on the downstream side of the cable termination filter, combining upstream or without the filter was always one of the causes of network interference and back in the days the cable companies had their own engineers a very dim view was taken of people doing that.

Terrestrial TV and cable feeds are completely different. Cable has always used a wider range, even when it was just carrying analogue TV. These days it has to carry extensive digital tv muxes as well as two way internet traffic.

At best combining a satellite feed with the cable coax will just not work, at worst you could be killing the cable network for yourself and your neighbours. In newer networks each house will have a dedicated coax to the local fibre headend, in legacy areas many properties share a pair of trunk coax lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

Any amount of "signals" can be transported in one conductor designed for such.
    the issue here which i do not see addressed is ==== latency =====.
    a sat dish to transmit and receive "internet" takes longer than
    a terrestial cable.
    albeit with ireland a cable shows home to european mainland ip address is 23ms
    to eirs hardware and their loops 19ms by traceroute and 4 to ip addresss.
    such a farce from my point of view.
    a sat signal to sat and back will take longer as distance traveled and also there
    may be atmospheric conditions that have an effect aswell.
    basic school stuff of "turn on light switch" signal create a wave that circles the planet at 7
    revolutions per second and fades shows the physical conductor is faster. atoms and light(fibre).

greasepalm wrote: »
    Broadband will come from a router
    lol please study a little

Vic_08 wrote: »
    The inference in that answer that suggests non-sky Q legacy satellite feeds can be combined with cable is absolutely wrong.

Analogue cable and UHF terrestrial could be combined in the past but only on the downstream side of the cable termination filter, combining upstream or without the filter was always one of the causes of network interference and back in the days the cable companies had their own engineers a very dim view was taken of people doing that.

Terrestrial TV and cable feeds are completely different. Cable has always used a wider range, even when it was just carrying analogue TV. These days it has to carry extensive digital tv muxes as well as two way internet traffic.

At best combining a satellite feed with the cable coax will just not work, at worst you could be killing the cable network for yourself and your neighbours. In newer networks each house will have a dedicated coax to the local fibre headend, in legacy areas many properties share a pair of trunk coax lines.
    lnb to receiver is an electrical current at amps- at a certain frequency.
    tell me how i2p works with tcp as that is as transport on a conductor.(its an overlay and causes no interference.)
    as was stated ==== years ago tech had problems with inter frequency interference but
    we have moved on.
    the atoms and directable electrons that can be "streamed" in a 1mm\sq copper conductor ?.
    seems you talk away from the likes of 625Mb tunnels in a cable with each only able to carry
    limited certain signals.
    as eir uses brittelco you point at cables the size of londons underground sewerage works tunnels.
    cmon mate over 20kms 5g from one tower and the advertised capacity must make you think.
    yes 2 towers cover dublin and forget the green footprint issues of miles of cables which the
    green party dont seem to mind. of course not allowed to use cheapest most reliable chinese
    but thats corrupt politicians for you.

• Advertisement

jelem wrote: »
    lol please study a little

Why broadband is split to the router one side of splitter to router and other side to cable box.

I do know of combining a saorview signal and a sat signal with a diplexar through one cable and extracted the far end:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you combine both SkY and Virgin wash their hands on any support issues.

If you combine both SkY and Virgin wash their hands on any support issues.

An easy excuse is to blame the other provider :(

I've made my decision now, I'll stick with Virgin for broadband, and run a separate cable for the dish, no crossover at all between the signals or providers.

When planning out your sat try to plan ahead as if sat has a sky Q lnb it can only be used for sky Q boxes,hybrid lnbs are available for E2 boxes.

How many cable feeds will you use as best to install 2 at least for viewing and recording and another room? quad lnb.

No issues using Virgin broadband and multiswitches around the house to give more lan ports if needed and all hard wired.

Advertisement