Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iPhone now reducing the sound in earbuds /earphones

Options
  • 26-11-2020 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭

Getting a notification every half hour or so that the volume of my Bluetooth earphones is being reduced to protect my hearing, then bam down it goes and I can hear nothing.

This function CANNOT be changed by the user.

I am partially deaf so use one bud in the good ear. This is doing my nut in, and I don’t know if there is a solution.

Message is from Sounds and haptics, has anyone else this issue?

I think it came with the latest IOS release. Fed up isn’t the word. Sigh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I mean, it's protecting your hearing. I've actually found this feature helpful although I hadn't noticed it reduces, have just been looking at the exposure reports / dB levels.

Without being smart at all, don't you want to preserve the good ear?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

sdanseo wrote: »
    I mean, it's protecting your hearing. I've actually found this feature helpful although I hadn't noticed it reduces, have just been looking at the exposure reports / dB levels.

This is EU wide, not just Apple phone's, Android phones are also affected, it is an EU directive unfortunately...

Not sure is it possible to flash with some kind of US firmware on an Apple phone to get around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Fieldog wrote: »
    This is EU wide, not just Apple phone's, Android phones are also affected, it is an EU directive unfortunately...

Not sure is it possible to flash with some kind of US firmware on an Apple phone to get around it?

Oh, that puts a slightly different twist on it. Thought it was an Apple innovation.

All the EU seems to be good for is playing Mary Poppins to the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks for info folks. The volume auto reduces. But that negates the convenience of Bluetooth as I have to rummage in the backpack when out walking and listening to get to a level I can hear the damn podcast/music etc.

I’ve been using earphones for donkeys years and recent tests show no deterioration in good ear yet.

Anyway TMI. MY AHEM, rights are affected.. must contact my MEP. ��

sdanseo wrote: »

I can’t hear anything when it auto reduces. It’s different when you have deafness like I have.

Thanks for your concern, it is just SO different for those with normal hearing.

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »

I did a search there and found that there are max decibel levels.
    Well if the volume is auto reduced as it is for me, I may forget it sadly.. I am a very miffed at this but grateful for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Gwildor

Like you, Im hearing impared but in both ears. I have a Hong Kong dual sim iPhone and it doesn't reduce the volume on me. My hearing aids have Bluetooth, which is what I use when I'm out and about, but I do use BT headphones at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭geminiman63

Not only phones, its across all devices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VPaXdQoKXs

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

My hearing is better in one ear than the other.

I actually suspected this had happened - the volume having been limited below what it had been - when I was using my earphones on a plane (where there’s obviously a certain amount of background engine noise) in March.

Now at least I know why it did.

Perhaps decent over the ear full headphones would improve things a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I don't have any hearing issues, but my experience is that active noise cancelling headphones certainly let you reduce the physical volume quite a bit an still hear the audio loud and clear, even in noisy environments (like on a plane), which certainly reduces ear fatigue.

I don't know if this would help those with impaired hearing or not, though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement