Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

beauf wrote: »
    Is there anyway to get the NowTV on the shield.

I don't use it very often I sign up now and then to watch a couple of new movies but the NowTV sticks I have all overheat and the remotes are very laggy and eat batteries.

As far as I recall, you can sideload the app, but it won't work. Now TV is tied in with Roku, and Sky are pretty ardent about keeping it that way. I don't even think you can Chromecast Now TV from the phone app (open to correction there on that)

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I don't even think you can Chromecast Now TV from the phone app (open to correction there on that)

You can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'll have to try that later.

What app do you guys use to play local media, movies off a usb drive. I'd prefer one that only shows the folders with movies, and only show movies. Don't need it to be scanned for meta data or any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Anyone had any luck with Stadia on their Shield? Worked okay first time on mine then completely froze my machine after that.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Now TV app is available on Android TV for Sony Televisions starting this month. More devices coming soon, so I expect its on the way.

https://twitter.com/NOWTV/status/1317766206150115329?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Is it possible to get Microsoft game pass running on Shield?

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Is it possible to get Microsoft game pass running on Shield?

I got it working, have had quite bad lag with the couple of games I tried though, not sure why, my internet speeds/ping are good.

I can cast from NowTV on my android phone to the shield. But the movie has to be playing on the phone first before I cast. That works on. Thanks for the Tip.

If I cast before I play the movie it won't play it just spins the hourglass thingy. (Circles).

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Anyone had any luck with Stadia on their Shield? Worked okay first time on mine then completely froze my machine after that.

Works perfectly on mine. 1080p and stereo sound anyway. Even bought Red Dead Redemption 2 for it.
    Don't have a 4k TV so haven't tested that aspect of it. My receiver can't decode the sound into 5.1 either. So I've got a pro account but only getting what someone on the free account would get. But I've had zero issues.

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Works perfectly on mine. 1080p and stereo sound anyway. Even bought Red Dead Redemption 2 for it.
    Don't have a 4k TV so haven't tested that aspect of it. My receiver can't decode the sound into 5.1 either. So I've got a pro account but only getting what someone on the free account would get. But I've had zero issues.

Might try again then. Is your stadia apk the latest version? Mine was freezing at the available title loading stage, then completely locking my shield.

• Advertisement

Might try again then. Is your stadia apk the latest version? Mine was freezing at the available title loading stage, then completely locking my shield.

It's not the latest. The 1st one I got about a month ago worked, so I was afraid to update. This is the name of the one I have - com.google.stadia.android_2.32.325394235-17504_minAPI23(arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

It's not the latest. The 1st one I got about a month ago worked, so I was afraid to update. This is the name of the one I have - com.google.stadia.android_2.32.325394235-17504_minAPI23(arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

Thanks I'll give that one a crack

Thanks I'll give that one a crack

You'll need the nvidia shield app on your phone as well after you start a game for the first time. There is one screen than needs a mouse click to get by. But after that you don't need it (until you start another game).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

You'll need the nvidia shield app on your phone as well after you start a game for the first time. There is one screen than needs a mouse click to get by. But after that you don't need it (until you start another game).

Just looking at stadia, any decent games with pro sub? Btw, revolut offering free 3month pro sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

JDxtra wrote: »
    Now TV app is available on Android TV for Sony Televisions starting this month. More devices coming soon, so I expect its on the way.

https://twitter.com/NOWTV/status/1317766206150115329?s=20

Is it possible to get the apk from the sony tv and sideload it on?

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Just looking at stadia, any decent games with pro sub? Btw, revolut offering free 3month pro sub.

An article here with a list - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidauthority.com/google-stadia-games-list-995367/amp/

Like I said, I'm playing Red Dead Redemption. Cyberpunk is coming as well.

€10 off your first game as well at the moment (or was there recently at least).

Sign up for the trial month. Then get the code from Revolut for another 3 months and you have 4 months for free.

Tried again with Stadia, completely locked up my Shield as the image for games I have were loading. Had to take power out of the back to reset. So I'm giving Stadia a swerve for now. Maybe if they release an Android TV app for the new Chromecast I'll give it a go again.

Tried again with Stadia, completely locked up my Shield as the image for games I have were loading. Had to take power out of the back to reset. So I'm giving Stadia a swerve for now. Maybe if they release an Android TV app for the new Chromecast I'll give it a go again.

What Shield do you have?

What Shield do you have?

2019 Shield Pro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I have an issue with my Shield 2019 where the sound plays very slowly. Has anyone seen this issue or suggest a solution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

dilallio wrote: »
    I have an issue with my Shield 2019 where the sound plays very slowly. Has anyone seen this issue or suggest a solution?

Get out of the house as fast as you can! :D

It's not a shield issue. it's more likely as issue with the app. What app is that?
    Have you tried the basics like rebooting the Shield?

I tried the RTE player. The app worked well. It sometimes won't launch. But clearing the cache and data fixes that. Streaming also works.

2019 Shield Pro

Maybe that the issue. I've the previous 2017 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

chewed wrote: »

It's not a shield issue. it's more likely as issue with the app. What app is that?

It's happening on all apps. Restarting doesn't fix the issue. The only thing that works is disconnecting the power lead for 30 secs, and most of the time I have to do this 4 or 5 times before it fixes itself.

The issue will return again the day after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Check the advanced sound settings - reset these back to auto as a test.

I've seen that issue before (not with a Shield) but where the software could not correct decode the audio due to an unusual or unsupported CODEC being used.

2019 Shield Pro

Just checking - in the setting of the Stadia App there is an "Experiments" section. Make sure that you tick "Play on this Device".

Just checking - in the setting of the Stadia App there is an "Experiments" section. Make sure that you tick "Play on this Device".

Can't get past the first screen to change any setting, all locks up before I can click anything. Cheers for the advice but I'm not going to go near stadia again for a while I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Anybody have interference issues with their shield?

I have an indoor aerial and when the shield is powered on I get no TV signal.

In using a tiny little router with a three prepay SIM which worked fine in our last temp accommodation but now the shield won't connect to the router all the time, and a lot of the time it's connected but getting no internet. 4G signal is very strong, get speeds of about 127 Mbps at times.

I've ordered a signal booster/4g filter for the TV aerial. My router quite close to the shield, would that cause issues? Can't think of what is going on, two issues could be unrelated but would seem quite a coincidence

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

chewed wrote: »

Daleks have landed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Anybody have interference issues with their shield?

I have an indoor aerial and when the shield is powered on I get no TV signal.

In using a tiny little router with a three prepay SIM which worked fine in our last temp accommodation but now the shield won't connect to the router all the time, and a lot of the time it's connected but getting no internet. 4G signal is very strong, get speeds of about 127 Mbps at times.

I've ordered a signal booster/4g filter for the TV aerial. My router quite close to the shield, would that cause issues? Can't think of what is going on, two issues could be unrelated but would seem quite a coincidence

Have you checked wifi interference from the neighbours?

Usually you can download app to identify the channels in use around you.

Advertisement