Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Mouse toggle is a useful little deelie isn't it. I'd been using the shield app touch pad to move around but handier just using the remote.

Edit: and in unrelated matters Chromecast now works, even on Ethernet. I didn't do anything I don't think so *shrugs shoulders* but good anyway.

Have vpn up and running and working well for US and UK (iPlayer apart - that's still not working yet). All the usual streaming apps working well.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Seapoint

Mouse toggle is a useful little deelie isn't it. I'd been using the shield app touch pad to move around but handier just using the remote.

Edit: and in unrelated matters Chromecast now works, even on Ethernet. I didn't do anything I don't think so *shrugs shoulders* but good anyway.

Have vpn up and running and working well for US and UK (iPlayer apart - that's still not working yet). All the usual streaming apps working well.

Just on the iPlayer -
    firstly your Proxy DNS needs to be capable of letting you watch iPlayer - I'm using getflix.com

secondly, make sure you've done

System
    Device preferences
    "OFF"

Then just install the Nvidia Preinstalled BBC iPlayer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭BobMc

Anyone using SurfShark VPN on their Shield ??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

BobMc wrote: »
    Yeah, I am.. not not regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭BobMc

any good or another recommendation perhaps for VPN for shield and android tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

picked this up the other day (hurry bargain ends soon i think) and so far so good.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058029427&page=49

I installed Tivimate app on my Shield to try out a different IPTV app/layout and I must say its really nice

Bought the premium version too as it allows some nice customisation .

check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I installed Tivimate app on my Shield to try out a different IPTV app/layout and I must say its really nice

Bought the premium version too as it allows some nice customisation .

check it out

Think I bought it after the last round of recommendations in this thread. It is excellent. My IPTV sub's EPG isn't working though, so if anyone knows how to get a third party EPG on Tivimate I'd love to know.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Think I bought it after the last round of recommendations in this thread. It is excellent. My IPTV sub's EPG isn't working though, so if anyone knows how to get a third party EPG on Tivimate I'd love to know.

I must go back and read the earlier posts..thanks

p.s) sorry i have no resolution for your question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

errlloyd wrote: »

M3U4U.com allows you edit the m3u and add EPG and logos

• Advertisement

M3U4U.com allows you edit the m3u and add EPG and logos

Can you edit a M3u supplied by your provider?

If so, would that mean having to give over username and password in the M3u URL?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

I use a ExpressVPN. Easy to use and has worked perfectly for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I edited the M3U from my provider and loaded it into TVIRL. This integrated IPTV into the Live Channels app on the Shield. Works well enough and the interface is similar to browsing a regular TV. In fairness I dont watch live tv much but good enough for me.

nedd wrote: »
    I edited the M3U from my provider and loaded it into TVIRL. This integrated IPTV into the Live Channels app on the Shield. Works well enough and the interface is similar to browsing a regular TV. In fairness I dont watch live tv much but good enough for me.

This is great if you have only a few channels but not a great idea with thousands

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭swampy353

nedd wrote: »

Best iptv app (IMHO) is tivimate. It's rock solid and as close to a standard TV as you are going to get. It's 5.49 per year for the full version which gives you recording and other bits and pieces
    If you are going with tivimate make sure you get the beta, if your iptv provider has VOD, it will break your movies and TV shows down in a plex style interface.
    Have my 78 year old father using it without hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Folks I used to be able to power off the shield via one of the routine settings in Google home but has something changed now, because it doesn't show up as device that can be controlled on the routines settings any more?

Screenshot-2020-09-30-21-29-41-351-com-google-android-googlequicksearchbox.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭swampy353

McMurphy wrote: »
    Folks I used to be able to power off the shield via one of the routine settings in Google home but has something changed now, because it doesn't show up as device that can be controlled on the routines settings any more?

Screenshot-2020-09-30-21-29-41-351-com-google-android-googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Still works but for me, you just need to Add Action, Enter Command and type in "switch off shield"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Hi Folks,

I am a complete newbie here, how can I play games for free on the Shield. I don't have a gamer laptop or anything that. i just have the Shield which i use for IPTV. Thanks and sorry for the technophobe question.

Thanks in Advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

Yeah thisis my primary vpn no issues at all.

6541 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I am a complete newbie here, how can I play games for free on the Shield. I don't have a gamer laptop or anything that. i just have the Shield which i use for IPTV. Thanks and sorry for the technophobe question.

Thanks in Advance.

Open the Nvidia games app there's a free to play section and also down the bottom there's a section under type: Android free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Latest update to Disney+ finally fixed the buffering issue for me

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭gaillimh

Hi.
    I have a question re IPTV with Nvidia Shield.
    Basically I have an amazon firestick 4K, which I use for netflix mainly and Kodi occasionally.
    I also go through phases of signing up for IPTV for a month or so at a time.

Now, I know the quality of IPTV will vary hugely between providers depending on numbers of users and all of that and your internet speeds are a big factor also, but i'm also wondering if running it on the likes of the shield would make a difference vs running it on the firestick?

I find that most IPTV that I try freezes quite a bit. Granted my internet is not brilliant - it can be anything from 2mb to 22mb download speeds (I have a network switch connected to my router and direct LAN cables from that to the firestick and the tv itself).
    Is there any possibility that running it on a shield would potentially reduce any freezing?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

gaillimh wrote: »
    Hi.
    I have a question re IPTV with Nvidia Shield.
    Basically I have an amazon firestick 4K, which I use for netflix mainly and Kodi occasionally.
    I also go through phases of signing up for IPTV for a month or so at a time.

Now, I know the quality of IPTV will vary hugely between providers depending on numbers of users and all of that and your internet speeds are a big factor also, but i'm also wondering if running it on the likes of the shield would make a difference vs running it on the firestick?

I find that most IPTV that I try freezes quite a bit. Granted my internet is not brilliant - it can be anything from 2mb to 22mb download speeds (I have a network switch connected to my router and direct LAN cables from that to the firestick and the tv itself).
    Is there any possibility that running it on a shield would potentially reduce any freezing?

Cheers

No.
    IPTV usually requires fairly light bandwidth.
    For example with Eir/VF IPTV service, 10mb of your headline speed is reserved.
    If you are encountering buffering or stutter the main cause is far more likely to be a source issue, with contention or low quality source that it is to be your device.

Even if source issues are ruled out, it's still far more likely to be an issue with your home network than it is any device.
    Connecting over WiFi rather than Lan.
    IPTV box near a satellite receiver with poorly terminated cable.
    IPTV box near a cordless phone or microwave(even through a wall) are all far more likely to cause stuttering than your actual device is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Is there any legal option for watching saorview channels on the shield? Moving in somewhere where I can't install a sat dish and not sure what the aerial point goes to in the flat as coudln't see an aerial on roof. maybe an indoor aerial will work if that connection doesn't, but as another option wondering if any such app exists?

I could get vodafone for extra 15 euro a month on top of the 30 euro for broadband, but I'm pretty cheap and don't watch much live TV but just be good to have sometihng!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭savemejebus

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Just curious but why does it have to be legal ?

Just a guess but maybe because you can't ask about illegal stuff on here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Just curious but why does it have to be legal ? Iptv is alright and cheaper than Vodafone

Maybe read the first post on the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Just curious but why does it have to be legal ? Iptv is alright and cheaper than Vodafone

I may or may not have other means of watching TV but use to used the sat dish and a linux receiver as a backup and for recording from satelite in my last place in Aberdeen.
    So just wanted a free backup that i could watch something if the other service was down or buffering.

There looks to be a saroview broadcast near to me in Arklow so hopefully get reception!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

RTE player on the shield is a load of rubbish, and even if it worked it doesn't have Live streams for some unfathomable reason. Only workaround is to cast the live streams to the Shield from the rte phone app, which actually works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

RTE player on the shield is a load of rubbish, and even if it worked it doesn't have Live streams for some unfathomable reason...

It's a pity about the live streams, but ithe RTE player works well enough for us here.

Every few days it opens up with the dead green android,
    and I have to go into the Apps menu and clear the cache for the player,
    but it works again for the best part of a week after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is there anyway to get the NowTV on the shield.

I don't use it very often I sign up now and then to watch a couple of new movies but the NowTV sticks I have all overheat and the remotes are very laggy and eat batteries.

Advertisement